EXCESSIVE SHEDDING??????

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Anonymous, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The only other time to shed like this was right before he was originally dx'd. I could brush him for an hour and still get a mountain of fur off him each stroke. He's also a little dandruffy. when i don't brush him the fur litterally accumulates on his back as loose fur :sad: . i do brush him 4 or 5 times a day. his #'s have been very good, low 200's for his pm and low 100's for his am...he spends most of the day in the greens.
    he's a short hair cat.
    does he have a problem i should know about?
    Lori

2. VictorsMom (GA)

VictorsMom (GA) New Member

I haven't been on here in awhile, and am not familiar with your cat, but is there any history of renal issues (CRF)?

I only throw it out there because I have both a dog and cat (13 and 17, respectively) who are in various stages of CRF. Even with subq fluids, azodyl, meds, etc., they both shed profusely. I think they are in some state of general dehydration from the kidney failure, but my house would be ankle deep in fur if I didn't vacuum/dust on a daily basis....

3. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

Lori....I agree that Tom may need to get his kidney values checked. My civie, Phoebe, is shedding a lot and has the dandruff and she has renal insufficiency. Of course, I hope this is not the case with sweet Tom but better to get it checked.

4. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

I would also get thyroid checked. Poor coat is one symptom of hyperthyroid.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

oh no, this is overwhelming..i had his thyroid checked 4 months back and it was fine but he has been urinating more but less is coming out...sometimes he goes and nothing is coming out. yesterday a main water pipe broke underneath my house and i had to turn off the water so we would'nt flood. plumber that i trust is in puerto rico so he's sending his worker to see how bad it is but probably won't fix until tomorow. we have no water!
    we are barely keeping afloat as it is financially. actually we are not keeping afloat.
    the last couple of years have been too many setbacks.
    my baby must have a problem...i'm so worried about not getting him enough medical help.
    sorry for the dumping, i'm just a little panicked right now.

6. cjleo

cjleo Member

Lori,

Is he getting enough fluid? You might try adding water to his food (I know you don't have any water in the house, but when you do:)).

Sometimes they don't get enough fluid from the wet food. Just thinking hydration might be a factor.

Claudia

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

oh i bought all kinds of bottled water. yes i do believe he gets plenty of water i put water in his food.

8. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Has the weather turned hot suddenly? It has gotten very hot and humid here recently and Minou is shedding even though she spends all of her time in an air-conditioned house.

I wouldn't panic about Tom if shedding is his only symptom. High protein diets (in humans at least) can cause mild dehydration. Angus had dandruff and shedding even when his BGs were in excellent control. Just make sure the vet checks thyroid and kidneys (they usually do anyway) at his next checkup. You could also try adding some EFAs to his food (fish oil).

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i think it's the fact that he was in rmission for 2.5 years and the fact that he sometimes cant' pee when he wants to. i feel i should do something.

10. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

(((Lori)))
    I'm sorry you're so worried about Tom! I would definitely take him in to be checked, ASAP. The trying to pee but can't always go could be a urinary obstruction. I don't want to scare you, but that is more concerning to me than the shedding. I'm sorry about the water problem too....boy, when it rains it pours, doesn't it? Please keep us posted on Tom.

11. Susan G and Tiger GA

Susan G and Tiger GA Member

i agree with the non peeing issue being more serious than the shedding. my tabby is short haired and has always shed way more than tiger (short hair), almost as much as julia (long hair). a cloud of hair seems to follow her anywhere. the peeing thing may be a crystal or something not as serious, that's what i'm praying. keep us updated. i feel so bad for you, as i'm taking tiger in to the vet this am, and poor dh wanted to know how much it would be(who knows?) as we are barely getting by since i can't work .

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi Susan it's so good to see you here! You must be all thru with your treatments...and I hope starting to feel well, altho I know from experience that can take some time.
    As for tom, it's not just the shedding, it's the dandruff and kind of poor looking fur coat.
    the peeing is regular, he does pee every day, just sometimes goes in gets all ready to do it than does'nt. i got a kit from the vet yesterday to collect his pee. i think the kit is ridiculous. I'm supposed to clear out all his litter, sterilize the box, put in this tiny tiny amount of crystals (which he will NOT like) and then when he pee the pee will all slide to the corner where i syringe it up and put it in the container. good grief, i hope he is'nt so annoyed with the plan he just decides to pee on the bed to inform me of his dissaproval!
    Oh and the plumber is here now, examing the situation nailbite_smile
    Lori

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.