? Excessive urinating and drinking

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Scdal, May 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scdal

Scdal Member

My cat was just diagnosed with diabetes this March. He got sick and started vomiting. He vomited at least 10 times in one day until he was throwing up yellow stomach acid. Since I live in a rural area, I called the vet and she prescribed antibiotics and prednisone and Cerenia.

But the next day, Phoenix would still not eat so I took him to the vet. He did not vomit after the first day.They did blood work and diagnosed pancreatitis and diabetes.

My question is that before he got sick that day, he never drank a lot of water and only urinated a normal amount. But since starting on insulin, he urinates and drinks excessively. His blood glucose levels are falling but we are still working up to a maintenance dose.

Why would he be normal one day and then start drinking and urinating so much? I can't understand this. Any answers would be appreciated. Thank you

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Well cats are notorious for hiding ANYTHING that is wrong with them. I caught the sign of excessive urination and litter box mountains he would leave. It happens. :rolleyes:

3. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Question for you, they diagnosed pancreatitis via the specific pancreatitis blood test correct? Because you can’t diagnose it from a regular blood panel alone. Minnie has that issue and we just did an endoscopy to get to the bottom of her vomiting and nausea because the pancreatitis test was negative.

excessive drinking and peeing is common with diabetes so I don’t think there’s anything that caused it other than the condition

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  4. Scdal

Scdal Member

Yes, they did the blood test for pancreatitis. He is doing great except for the excessive urinating and drinking. I don't think the meds made him sick. I guess these symptoms didn't show up until he got really ill. Hopefully, when we get the insulin to the correct dose, the urinating will not be as frequent.

I trained him to pee pads years ago. I am going through about 8 of these a day instead of the twice a day that used to be normal.

5. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

I have always been told by many different vets that the cause was unregulated diabetes. My cat Buddy has chronic pancreatitis and sometimes when having a really bad flare his numbers will shoot up really high and he will start peeing a lot and drinking a lot of water, I mean a lot of water.

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

don't stay at an ineffective dose too long or it will be harder to get him down.

7. Lalkabee

Lalkabee Member

I am just curious...why train a cat to use pads? isn't that usually used for dogs, because they are too dumb to bury their p00p :p ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.