Experience with fibrosarcoma (non vaccine related)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Heather_Mr.Tubs(GA), Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heather_Mr.Tubs(GA)

Heather_Mr.Tubs(GA) New Member

Does anyone have experience with fibrosarcoma (not VAS)?

Tumor was removed but the excision was incomplete. We got back to the vet next week for suture removal and xrays to check for metastatic disease in the chest cavity and/or bone degradation of the vertebrae.

Looking for practical advice on what to expect. Thanks.

Heather & Mr. Tubs

2. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

Heather,
    there is a site with all kinds of cat cancer information and resources you might wish to check out. I found it very helpful when Winnie had lymphoma.

http://www.zzcat.com/

healing wishes being sent.

3. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

((Heather)) so sorry you are facing this. I don't what the difference is between VAS and non-VAS fibrosarcoma. I only have experience with VAS and I know it to be very aggressive but it has a low metastatic rate. It can happen, but is not very common.
    Where is it located? Are you going to an oncologist(if you have one close) for more advice? I would see how much experience your vet has with this and may seek another opinion if necessary regarding future treatment. Please keep us informed. And of course, I am sending the best thoughts and vibes to you and your kitty(is it Mr. Tubs?).

4. Heather_Mr.Tubs(GA)

Heather_Mr.Tubs(GA) New Member

It is Tubs. :(

We are not planning to see an oncologist because there is not really anything that can be done. The tumor was on his spine. I think technically, it is his sacrum. An aggressive and complete surgical excision is not possible because of the location.

I'm a control freak and have been searching online high and low for information. My vet mentioned there was some drugs that may be promising for tumor control for fibrosarcomas. From looking online, he might be talking about interferon. We go back next week for suture removal and xrays and talking about what we will be doing. Our plans are for palliative care only because the prognosis is not good.

I'm kinda looking for info on typical medication used and what to expect, so I can go prepared to the vet next week. Of course, a lot rides on what those xrays may show.

The good news is that he's not acting sick or in pain. :) So I'm hopeful we still have lots of time, even though his prognosis is "guarded".

5. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry I have no experience with this but am sending prayers for Tubs.

6. don & chubby & gus

don & chubby & gus Member

Hi heather,
    I hope Mr. tubs is doing ok. One of my cats who I called peepot, had a lump on his side that turned out to be fibrosarcoma. I do not think his was vaccine related. At the time all that could be done was to continuously (every three or four months) have them taken out. After the third operation my vet said she would not attempt to remove anymore. They were simple growing faster then we could have them removed and, they were growing all over. Pain management was all that was left for us. There may be alternatives now. I don't want you to think that there is no hope, there is allways hope and you may find something to help. I do know though, that this cancer is fairly aggressive and if you are able to find something, you should act fast to try and stop it. Until, and during treatment, I would love him like theres no tomarrow. Please post so that we know what you find out and how he is doing. I really hope you find a way to help your friend.

don, chubby, gus & the gang

7. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.