? Experiences with respiratory infection?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Armish & Roo, Jul 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armish & Roo

Armish & Roo Member

Hey guys! Does anyone have experience with URIs?

Roo seems to be wheezing and drooling more than usual and his breathing seems to be quite fast. I've also seen him sneeze once or twice - could this be an URI? If so, could this potentially affect BG levels or is it not that intense of an infection to where it would make a difference?

Vet is closed now but I'm planning on calling them first thing in the morning :nailbiting:

2. Krystina & Nelli

Krystina & Nelli Well-Known Member

Have you gotten his breaths per minute (BPM)? Wheezing, drooling and rapid breathing could be the heart.
    Let me know... if you’d like the formula to determine BPM value :)

Armish & Roo likes this.
  3. Armish & Roo

Armish & Roo Member

Yes please! :D

4. Krystina & Nelli

I am so sorry I disappeared briefly!
    Ok... she needs to be relaxed/ resting. Count the breathes she takes in (exactly) 15 seconds. Then take that number and multiply it by 4 :).
    Normal range is 20-30 BPM :cat:
    I won’t disappear anymore :bighug:

Armish & Roo likes this.
  5. Armish & Roo

Armish & Roo Member

No worries! Roo is at about 1 breath per second - I'm guessing that's too fast??

He seems mostly normal, playing and hanging out, so I guess I don't know what that means?

6. Krystina & Nelli

I breath per second... 15 breaths in 15 seconds...
    :nailbiting::woot::nailbiting: That’s 60 breaths per minute
    Not good.
    Please confirm
    with me...
    You counted his breathes taken, for 15 seconds?
    You then multiplied this # by 4?

7. Krystina & Nelli

My internet Service is going in and out… Please know that I am following you :bighug:

8. Krystina & Nelli

WAAAY TOO FAST, Armish :nailbiting:

9. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

hmmmm -- that's about standard for Catcat -- just checked, 16 breaths in 15 seconds -- yes my watch has a sweep second hand

not congested that I can see, he may sneeze once every couple of days, especially if pollen count is high

he DOES sniff the air a lot

perhaps he has a fast metabolism, his heartbeats coordinate with his breathing, as do his purrs

10. Armish & Roo

Armish & Roo Member

Hi yes sorry, confirming that it was about 15 breaths in 15 seconds.

11. Armish & Roo

Armish & Roo Member

Okay he seems to have slowed down now - he's at about 40 BPM. But I do notice that he will randomly start breathing fast like before and then slow down again

12. Krystina & Nelli

I had, what ended up being a very scary situation with Nelli. Although I know why her BPM’s got very high all of a sudden (freakin steroid injection given 2 days earlier!)-
    When I took her to her vet first thing next morning was told Nelli was in heart failure. Once at the cardiologist, a few hours later, her BPM‘s were 58 :nailbiting:. Reason why I am expressing bold letters of concern to you.
    Please do some research online- BPM, research. Please.

13. Krystina & Nelli

That little heart is pumping waaaaay too fast!

14. Krystina & Nelli

@CandyH and Catcat -Please “google” this. Catcat depends on it :cat:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  15. CandyH & Catcat

oh, I counted while he was looking at me, waiting for his dinner -- has been sniffing the air all afternoon as he smells the crockpot cooking his chicken

however, he may have an ongoing heart problem, his heartbeat shakes his whole body, has been that way all four years I've had him

vet didn't remark on it when I mentioned it to her, she's seen him three times now including doing a system check before anesthesia for his dental procedure, cleaning and 4 extractions

I'll check his breathing next time he falls asleep and isn't either purring or is in REM sleep

16. Armish & Roo

Armish & Roo Member

Looking in to it now and will definitely give the vet a call in the morning. He sounds kinda congested (like I do when I have a cold and feel snotty) which is why I was thinking it might be a URI.

17. Armish & Roo

Armish & Roo Member

He seems better this morning, not as wheezy or congested sounding. Hes been breathing fast but I’m thinking like catcat this is his normal level of breathing? I guess I didn’t realize it but he does normally breathe pretty fast and nothing came up when they did the precheck for anasthesia for his dental a couple months back - if there were heart problems that would have come up in that precheck right? Cuz that would have been a potentially issue for anasthesia?

I’m thinking it might be a URI, but the earliest the vet can see me is Tuesday unless I pay extra for an emergency appointment. Might honestly just do that for convenience so I can get in and see the vet earlier.

18. CandyH & Catcat

ok, to alleviate your worries, Catcat is asleep next to the food bowl, totally relaxed, not in REM sleep
    counted 8 breaths in 15 seconds (32 bpm)

the 16 per 15 is when he's awake, looking around, alert, beseeching me for food -- which is most of the time when he's not asleep

he may be as young as I originally figured, not the aging senior cat the vet seems to think he is

19. Armish & Roo

Armish & Roo Member

Roo seems to be similar - lower when he is chilling/relaxed/sleeping (30-40ish BPM) and higher any other time he's awake and looking for food or meowing in my face for attention (60 BPM ish)

CandyH & Catcat likes this.
  20. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

https://www.cathealth.com/cat-care/safety/2390-baseline-vitals-in-cats-and-how-to-measure-them
    Normal Heart rate, Respiratory Rate, and Temperature for Cats

Cats' normal heart and respiratory rates and temperatures are different from humans'. Here is what you need to know:

• Normal heart rate for cats: 140-220 beats per minute
    • Normal feline respiratory rate: 15-30 breaths per minute
    • Normal temperature for cats: 100.5˚F-102.5˚F

I took Jones' respiratory rate when he was sleeping...count how many times his side moved in a minute. I do the same with our civvie Libby and she is asthmatic.

His was always around the 17-22 mark when sleeping.

Heart rate is different...need a stethoscope for that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.