Expiration Date on Vial of ProZinc

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by G & I, Dec 9, 2017.

1. G & I

G & I Member

I am preparing to give my first home injection of ProZinc. I noted the expiration date was last month (11/2017). Is this still going to be effective? I have no other vials on hand and being Sunday no source to obtain more. Not planning on giving this until after 8:15 as I fed Goma at 6:15 and will also be attempting my first glucose level test at 8:15

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

The vet charged you for out of date insulin?? My understanding is that Prozinc has a shelf life of 2 years, and the date on the vial is the expiration based on that. Once you actually open a vial, the manufacturer says it is only good for 60 days; however, I have heard from several people (and my vet) that it can last for several months if stored and handled properly. So, my thoughts on it are 1) if your vet charged you for that, you should get your money back, or he should give you a vial that has not expired; 2) I do not think it will hurt to use it, but you are not going to know if it is effective until you give it then test Goma in a few hours to see if her BG level has come down.

Maybe some other folks have personal experience with expired insulin and will chime in. I do not. Your vet is something else for giving you that though! :mad:

Nan & Amber likes this.
  3. donnalea

donnalea Member

I would ask the vet for a refund if he charged you. A vile of Prozinc last Callie 3 months. It's probably ok to use it. It's not as if it goes bad right away. I think you will find that it is better to give the shot sooner after feeding. The usual plan is to test first, feed and then give the shot. That way, there is food in the tummy for the insulin to work with. You do need to withhold food for two hours before testing. I hope that is clear.

4. FurBabiesMama

I think you are going to feed again, correct? There was discussion about this in your other post. Goma can have food available to her anytime except two hours before you do the pre-shot test. After you do the pre-shot test you want to give her food again and let her eat a little before you give the insulin.

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You can likely use this ProZinc at least until Monday. The sequence is:
    1. remove all food 2 hours before it's time for the pre-injection test
    2. do the pre-injection BG test
    3. feed right away
    4. give insulin as soon as kitty is finished eating.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  6. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I think on #2 Kris meant: do the pre-injection BG test ;)

And I would say to look at the insulin - as long as it's cloudy and doesn't have any little white things floating in it, you can likely use it until Monday. But definitely take it back to the vet and get a newer vial. By the time a vial reaches expiration, it is already a couple of years old. If it does have little things floating in it, don't use it.

And here is a link to your other thread so we can keep track: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/in-a-bit-of-a-situation-here.187757/

7. Kris & Teasel

Thanks for catching that, Djamila! :)

Djamila likes this.
  8. G & I

G & I Member

I believe it may have been the vial he was using while Goma was in there clinic. Not sure how long it had been there, but I did not pay for it (yet). I will be asking for another vial as I am really not comfortable with out of date medications. But they waited until after closing on Saturday to give it to me...I hope this is not impacting my results. I hate to put Goma through this again so soon (bg test every 2 hours). Thanks for responding. I sincerely appreciate it.

9. G & I

G & I Member

Thanks for the response. I have now completed the second post injection bg test. Not seeing a big drop as of yet. Not sure if it is because of the insulin being out of date or the fact that she is actually being allowed to eat. This was not being done at the vet office. Food was withheld... It does appear okay with no white things floating in it. Still, I want an up to date vial. Thank you again.

10. FurBabiesMama

I agree with you completely. I would not want to continue with an expired vial! The vet should be ashamed.

11. Djamila

Please forgive me if I've missed something, but I'm curious why you're testing every two hours, and how the starting dose was decided? We usually recommend that cats starts with one unit, and at this stage you may not need to be testing quite that much since the numbers are so high.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  12. Kris & Teasel

Very complicated story, Djamila. Vet was doing very strange things wrt dosing/feeding and this CG has just moved over here to FDMB to get his kitty moving forward. Kitty was being dosed once a day only and this 0.5 u dose was what the vet decided. Kitty was at the vet clinic being dosed with insulin and then made to go without food for 3 hours after the injection to assess the dose's effect. I know - crazy! CG is just learning how to test and monitor so the suggestion was to test 2/4/6/8 to get some practice in, prove that 0.5 u was too low and also that the dose would be out of kitty's system after 12 hours - proof that BID dosing is important. That's it in a nutshell.

Djamila likes this.
  13. Kris & Teasel

Your SS data show that the 0.5 u dose has had a mild effect on the BG in that she came down moderately in the time period where the peak insulin action is expected. We'll check in to see what your evening pre shot was and whether you gave insulin for the night time cycle. These data show a response to the dose but the dose is too low. We can help you to decide what's next. Congrats on the testing! :D

14. Djamila

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks Kris!

15. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

It's a 14 hour time difference between Eastern Standard and Okinawa. Is there a way to note that in the spreadsheet? Someone might look at a post one day and think AM and PM got mixed up. That's a long flight, where's the ashtray?
    Good luck Goma:bighug:

16. G & I

G & I Member

Thank you for all your posts clarifying my situation. I am mortified to say I failed in the evening injection so had to wait for today. I am having a hard time finding a good spot to inject Goma since she is skin and bones mostly. The pre shot bg was 712 and I will enter that along with info about time difference

17. G & I

G & I Member

I was going by the Vet advice regarding dosage and will not test today like yesterday but I think every 4 hours. I’m trying to get all this and correct mistakes

18. Kris & Teasel

I replied on your other thread. Don't get discouraged - we'll help you to help Goma. :) There's A LOT to learn at the start and, like many, you've been steered wrong by your vet.