Expired Test Strips

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rebecca & Kato, Jun 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebecca & Kato

Rebecca & Kato New Member

Hi, just wondering if anyone has used any expired test strips and got inaccurate results? My test strip bottle says it expires June 30th 2010; however, when I insert them into the meter it says they are already expired. It still lets me use them but I am worried I am not getting accurate results. I tested myself two different times right after another and got different numbers-- off by about 10 points. Not sure if it's the strips or if I need a new meter.

I appreciate any suggestions/comments from anyone.

Thanks!

Rebecca & Kato

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

hi there

what meter are u using?
    what have the numbers been?
    I'd be on the safe side and replace the strips.

3. Rebecca & Kato

I am using the Accucheck Aviva. When I tested myself I got 104 and then right after I got 95.. Kato has been running in the 80's with an 81 today. He used to run in the 70's and now lately he has been in the 80's. I know thats not a big difference but I was just concerned when I took my own blood glucose and it was 9 points different in less than a minute. Thanks for your response.

4. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

hey thats pretty good..u know what u could do, is contact the manufacturer, tell them the info, and maybe they might send u some new ones, especially since the meter says they are expired.
    does your meter ask for a code? some meters require coding, double check that, but I'm willing to bet the manufacturer will send you some freebies.
    keep an eye on the numbers in the meantime, and I'd still replace the strips just in case, but that's just me.

5. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

wait. if you call the manufacturer, tell them you use it for yourself. if you mention the cat, they'll be done with you.

second, the aviva won't let you use strips that are expired. literally, it won't do anything for you. you shove the strips in and it just sits there telling you they are expired. it will no way in heck give you a BG reading. (that little chip you stick in the side let's the meter know about the batch you are using and their expiration date)

third, make sure the date on the meter is correct.

but finally, i have a feeling the meter is just pointing out that your expiration date for those strips is coming up because like i said, aviva WILL NOT let you use expired strips.

sooooooooooo, if you are getting BG readings, then keep using those strips. about noon on the 30th though, they will stop working for you :)

6. Jean and Megan

Jean and Megan Member

Calling the manufacturer about the meter saying the strips are expired is a good idea. I thought the Accucheck Aviva wouldn't even work at all if it thought the strips were outdated.

The numbers aren't going to raise anybody's eyebrows, though, so probably better not even to mention them. They are all well within the range of accuracy that home-use meters claim.

And definitely DON'T say you are using the meter on a cat. You have tested yourself, so only talk about what happened when you tested yourself. If you mention use on a cat, they won't give you the time of day, because the meter is only certified (or whatever the term they want may be) for human use.

7. Rebecca & Kato

I am still able to use the strips, so I am assuming that the meter must just be warning me that they will expire soon. Thanks everyone!

8. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

guessing if you wanted to be tricky you could change the date on the meter so it wouldn't read expired strips as expired. :)

i don't worry about it. i use expired strips all the time and my cat's numbers are pretty consistent. i mean i wouldn't pay full price for them but if i got a fantastic deal i'd go for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.