? Extremely high BG readings after dental procedure.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Natalie and Ziggy, Dec 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

So Ziggy has his dental procedure last Friday, and he had all of his teeth scaled and cleaned. He’s definitely been feeling better! However, since then, some old behaviors have come back in a nasty way. All week, Ziggy has been waking me up at 5 in the morning crying for food, and his appetite is voracious. His numbers are among the worst they’ve ever been, and he’s peeing by the gallons. It feels like, while getting his teeth fixed is overall important for his health, the procedure itself has made his diabetes even worse than before.

I’m going to switch to Lantus next month or the month after, but in the meantime, I’m wondering if there’s anything I can do to get him back on track? Any dosing adjustments or diet suggestions? Feels like I’m slowly going back to square one and maybe I’m just not being patient enough.

2. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

Do you mix hot water in with his wet food- any chance he could be sensitive?
    Could it be his antibiotics?

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Could he have some infection after the dental? Will he let you look in his mouth? Overall his numbers aren't extremely different. Try squinting at your SS to get a feel for the colour distribution.

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I sure hope the Lantus will make a difference when you can get him on it. Don't give up Natalie, don't despair. Better days are coming. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

To me, his numbers don't look that different than before the procedure. He is getting less insulin than before which could account for some slightly higher numbers. Maybe he is eating like crazy because his mouth feels good. :D

Kris & Teasel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.