? Eye discharge

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by TTBLR, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TTBLR

TTBLR Member

Silvester has been having eye discharge for quite some time. I do not see it bothering him, but it does bother me. It's black when dried out, but when cleaned, leaves brownish marks on tissue. Vet could not help with the issue, said there are too many possible causes.

Have anyone dealed with an issue like this one?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

This is very common in cats, some more than others. If his eyes are clear and there are no signs of an upper respiratory infection I wouldn't worry about it. You can wipe it off with a warm wet cloth or tissue.

TTBLR likes this.
  3. cmonmiracle

cmonmiracle Member

Avery has one particularly 'drippy' eye. It's usually clear or rusty coloured. The vet said it could be a number of things, but nothing to worry about. We just wipe it for her occasionally.

TTBLR and Kris & Teasel like this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

One of my cats, stormy, had a bad eye infection as a kitten and now has constantly dipping eyes. Just the way she is. I wipe them every other day or so.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  5. Bunny0210

Bunny0210 New Member

6. Ronnye Drexler

Ronnye Drexler New Member

My kitty started having one eye issue and was told it was a form of herpies but in actuality it turns out she was a diabetic but that was my kitty and now I just wipe her eye with a warm cotton pad.

7. TTBLR

TTBLR Member

The discharge was a side effect from diabetes?

8. TTBLR

TTBLR Member

It was one eye only, but now both Silvester's eyes are affected. Same thing I was told by my vet.

9. Ronnye Drexler

Ronnye Drexler New Member

No it just started and nothing stopped it so I just cleaned her eye. I googled it and it happens to older kitties. So I did not worry about it.

10. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Could be the herpes virus. I had two cats with discharges and cleared up with antibiotic topical meds but when stopped it would recur. I then added about 500 mg a day L-Lysine rto their food and that cleared up the discharge.

11. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Has he always had the tiny brownish spot at the bottom of the iris? Looks like a dot - was it always there or has it appeared recently, do you know?

12. TTBLR

TTBLR Member

I've noticed it some time ago, no idea if he've always had it. He has same one at the same spot on the other eye. Do you know what that is?

13. TTBLR

TTBLR Member

Did they have the same discharge judging by the picture?

14. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

No I don't however...

It is not to scare you or to make you worrying too much but a while ago a member was posting about eye discharges - it sounded somewhat like Silvester's - in her kitty and sometime later he was diagnosed with eye tumor. One of the symptoms (as per basic Google researh that I made at the time) is one or another type of discoloration/ pigmentation on the iris.

I am extremely cautious and might be making a mountain out of a molehill here but I'd ask your vet what he thinks about such possibility.
    Hopefully he will be able to discuss it over the phone for no charge - again I might be overly cautious.

I hope its nothing. If so wiping it out and noting any changes in amount/ frequency is the way to go.

ETA: clarification: I'd more worried if that dot on the iris is a recent addition - if it was always there it's nothing.

TTBLR likes this.
  15. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Seems very similar. You can always try the L-Lysine, it can't hurt

TTBLR likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.