Fairly New Diabetic Cat Dx Troubles Regulating

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by harleywulf, Mar 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harleywulf

harleywulf Member

Hello all. New to the group. Have a big boy we affectionately call "Tank". Tank is a 25 pound orange. He was Dxd with diabetes last October. He's been on Lantus ever since but it wasn't until the last 2 weeks we decided to change up his food to the Purina Pro Plan DM prescribed by our vet. His BG seems to fluctuate a lot. Vet has steadily increased his dosage to his present dose of 6 units. We figured his BG would be more stable now that he was on the Rx canned cat food but not so. These are his BG numbers today:
    7am - 412 (before meal and insulin)
    10am - 267
    1pm - 383
    4pm - 284.
    Can't figure why it would go up at the 1pm testing as he had been sleeping the whole time.
    He shows no other classic signs of diabetes like weight loss or lethargy. Initially when Dxd he was consuming larger amounts of water and urinating more but that has subsided.
    Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and Tank! Good name for a big orange boy! :) Please go post on the main health forum and let us know (some of which you gave us here):
    • his date of diagnosis
    • his age
    • the insulin he's on and what his starting dose was
    • whether you test his blood glucose at home and, if so , what meter you use
    • what he eats - wet only? wet and dry? dry only?
    • any other health issues and meds he has.
    The dose he's on is high. Some cats need a high dose and it isn't necessarily related to the size of the cat. If he's eating DM canned food of the pate variety that has about 6% carbs as fed and that's appropriate for a diabetic kitty. The DM dry is too high in carbs.

Magic Johnson likes this.
  3. harleywulf

harleywulf Member

Ok thank you I will. Hes on Lantus. Started at one unit and has progressed to six. October 14, 2017 was Dx. I do curves myself and report to my vet. Cat has terrible anxiety in the car. I use a ReliOn glucose meter. He is 7 years old and weighs 25#. The Purina Pro Plan Diabetic Canned pate is only food he gets as of three weeks ago when we switched from free feeding dry store food.

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Could be an erroneous reading. In the future when you get an unexpected reading retest.

5. harleywulf

harleywulf Member

Ok thanks. But nothing has ever been exprcted with him. Hopeful tho. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.