? Faith 3/30 Not Eating. Dosing advice

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Vegetable (GA), Mar 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vegetable (GA)

Vegetable (GA) Member

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Faith is not feeling well and not wanting to eat. Here are some suggestions to try and get her to eat. Sending prayers.

Do you have any parmesan cheese? If you maybe sprinkle a little of that on her food, she will perhaps eat? usually ondansetron is better for nausea than cerenia but it doesn't hurt to give her the cerenia....it can help.

Can you finger feed her....either see if she will lick food off your finger or will she let you dab some on the front of her tongue or on the roof of her mouth? Just be careful that it's only a small amount and that you don't get it down her throat.

Here's some info Jill often posts when a kitty won't eat:Here are some things you can do do entice your cat to eat:

-sometimes in order to get a cat to eat you even have to resort to dry it is more important that they eat. there are a couple low carb / grain free brands -- EVO and wellness core.

-making a buffet to give him choices
    - heating food

sprinkle food with :
    - forta flora -- a probiotic you can get at vets or online. is very smelly and cats love the taste of it.
    - parm. cheese
    - smashed crumbles of dry food
    - Purebites Duck Liver -- crushed and put on as a topper.
    - bonito tuna flakes
    - halo chicken treats -- crumble into dust over food
    - poor a little water from tuna in water over food ( I use low sodium/no sodium added as other kinds in water has veg. broth in it and I assume that means onions, which are toxic to cats-- check labels)
    -powdered oregano. yep sounds weird . but some cats like it and it will entice them to eat.

other ideas of foods to offer your kitty to stim appy:
    - trader joe tuna for cats
    -baby food -- beechnut turkey and broth or chicken and broth. they have no onions or other additives. some babyfoods have onions . please read labels if you can't find beechnut.
    - kentucky fried chicken
    - deli turkey /chicken
    - plain cooked ( boiled or baked ) chicken breast
    -canned chicken for people (watch the label that their are no onions)
    - chicken broth -- low sodium

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  3. Vegetable (GA)

Vegetable (GA) Member

Thanks for the tips!

She will lick up a little bit of food if its warm & soupy but its not much. Ive tried to finger feed her & she wasnt happy after the second or third time i had some food on my finger. Im feeding her recovery food for now since its so important for her to eat anything. Tried the crumbled up pure bites & ive tried the parmesean cheese. She wont touch it.

Im going out to get some baby food in a bit & im going to call the vet this afternoon to discuss what we can do next.

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I’m glad you posted here. :)

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Most baby food in Canada has either flour (carbs) or onions/garlic (bad for cats) in them. Make sure you read the labels.

Given the high numbers you are seeing, you probably could have shot insulin this morning. Not sure why you went back to 1.5 from 1.75 units. Even at 1.75 it looked like she needed an increase.

Sounds like she might be nauseous. If this keeps up, I'd try getting her into a vet or see if one will give you some anti nausea meds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.