Fancy Feast and losing too much muscle mass?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mark and Jake, Jun 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark and Jake

Mark and Jake New Member

Hi everyone,

My cats do not have diabetes but similar to most of you, my cats have fully transitioned to wet food. Based on Dr. Lisa’s catinfo.org website and chart, I have a question regarding the protein content of wet food and the muscle mass of a cat.

She briefly mentioned the potential for loss of muscle mass/tone when feeding wet, stressing the importance of checking the topline of your cat. I cannot continue to afford feeding strictly Weruva Paw Lickin Chicken to Mark and Jake and am wondering if I should be concerned about any loss in muscle tone if I switch them to FF Classic Pate? Fancy Feast has significantly lower protein % from kcals according to Dr. Lisa’s chart.

Thanks!

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Bump

Mark and Jake likes this.
  3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

You can add extra protein by adding cooked egg white to the food. It is full of excellent protein. Either scramble the egg white or hard boil the egg and mash the white and add to food.
    If your cats do not have any kidney issues you can give them a raw or cooked egg yoke every week (and cook the white). An excellent cheap food.
    Also you can add extra protein by giving them some cooked or raw chicken breast. As long as it’s not more than 20% of the diet, adding the chicken as an ongoing thing is fine. Or a cheaper cut if chicken is fine too.
    I feed raw diet and give my cats a raw egg yoke every week.

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I have fed my cats Friskies canned for years and almost all of my cats are at a healthy weight. The exception is Cracker who could stand to lose a few pounds. He is a very big boy.

5. Mark and Jake

Mark and Jake New Member

That’s great to know! I guess I feel guilty for giving them food with less protein content and I worry that it will result in muscle loss but FF and Friskies have indeed worked for a lot of users on this forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.