Fancy Feast Appetizers - carb info??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SnowKat, Feb 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnowKat

SnowKat Member

I was recently gifted several boxes of the FF Appetizers Steamed Wild Alaskan Salmon "in a delicate broth." My cats used to love these, but I've been hesitant to feed because we are low carb only in this house since Edward's Dx.

I've checked all the food charts, but they don't show info for Fancy Feast Appetizers. Any ideas??

Attached Files:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Sorry, no idea.

SnowKat likes this.
  3. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

Based on the ingredients I think it looks okay to me, but it might be one of those try on your cat and see things. I don’t specifically know how guar and xanthun gum affect blood sugar but a quick google search suggests they might actually lower it (although it was just a very brief search!).

Dr. Pierson says on her food chart:

“[guar or xanthan gums] are soluble fibers (which may actually promote intestinal health) and do not contribute to the carbohydrate fraction in the same way as starches do. In short, I would rather see guar or xanthan gum thickeners than starch (‘flour’) thickeners in gravy foods.”

SnowKat and Deb & Wink like this.
  4. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

Based on the ingredients, it looks pretty good. I plugged the nutritional information into a calculator and got 2.5% calories from carbs. Should be fine.

5. SnowKat

SnowKat Member

You all are awesome. Thank you! I’m glad I can use these as toppers when Ed is being picky with his normal food.

Juls and Billy and Deb & Wink like this.
  6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

They're fine for snacks!!

And how do I get on that list to get gifted several boxes of them?.....LOL

Deb & Wink and SnowKat like this.
  7. SnowKat

SnowKat Member

I have a generous sister who also loves cats (she has 7 of her own!) :) We sometimes trade foods that our own cats won't eat.

Deb & Wink likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.