Fancy Feast Classic Chicken Pate

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Diane Tyler's Mom, Aug 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I was looking at Dr Piersons food chart at the fat percentage, which was 57%
    Would you say that's high? I ask this because one vet I talked , was not my vet it was one that worked at the practice. He said he doesn't have a problem with feeding it to a cat, but just have to watch them putting weight on. I know the calories are 99 per can and the carbs are 3% What do you think about the fat content and gaining weight

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Dr. Pierson recommends a max of 50% fat in this post: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/food-chart-update.176833/ She also recommends a min of 40% protein which the FF chicken just meets. My personal preference is for something with higher protein and lower fat than the FF. A lot of people do feed FF though.

As far as weight gain, I think carbs are usually the main culprit for a cat gaining weight, however, excess calories can also be an issue. A commonly used formula is 20 calories per pound of healthy body weight (this can require adjustment sometimes based on the cat's activity level). So, you can calculate out how many calories your cat should have and see how much FF that is. If you find that the amount of FF the cat should have is not enough food to keep him satisfied, you could consider lower-calorie foods so he can have more volume of food for the same calories.

Having a pet/baby scale is a great way to keep an eye on their weight so you will see if a problem is developing in this area. Exercise is good for them (just like us!) so increased play time may help keep that weight in check.

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for the information

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.