Fancy Feast Classic Low -Carb? Question please

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Natalia & Enana, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Natalia & Enana

Natalia & Enana Well-Known Member

Hello,

Ive been trying to find if Fancy Feast Chicken Feast Classic is Low-carb. It comes in a pink can. I have looked in every list and exactly that name doesn't show up anywhere.

Thanks

2. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

I believe the Chicken classic (pink) is 2% carbs.

3. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Yes, it is. It is listed as 4% carbs on the old food chart (Old Canned Food List) as Gourmet Chicken Feast.

4. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Yes it is low carb. All of the Fancy Feast Classic line is low carb (under 10%).

5. hollyall

hollyall Well-Known Member

Natalia, I had the exact same question. Thanks for asking and getting it answered. :smile: My kitty Max seems to like the Chicken Classic flavor best.

6. Natalia & Enana

My Enana loves the Beef Tender..I just gave her the Chicken feast and she likes it too.

Thanks for your help everyone

7. Natalia & Enana

Anyone knows the carb content of FF Salmon & Shrimp Feast Classic?

Thanks!

8. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I've wondered that one myself. I write the carb number on the top of each can, and that one I just leave with no number.
    I bet it's pretty low carb as the FF Savory Salmon is 3%, so I feed the Salmon & Shrimp Feast without a worry.

9. Shrimp has virtually no carbs. Since the salmon flavor is 3%, I.would think that combining salmon and shrimp would - if anything - lower it belowbelow 3%. I think it would be safe to assume it's no higher than 3%.
    Carl.

10. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

all the classic varieties of fancy feast are low carb. If you look on the old janet & binky food list you will find them listed there in their former names.

11. Natalia & Enana

12. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

13. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Oh, and my kitties love the Flaked Trout. I didn't realize it was so high (7%) carbs.

14. "High" is relative though. Consider many vets prescribed hills diet m/d for our sugarcats which is listed as 14%. Now we all know better than to give our cats that, but 7% isn't terribbly bad considering. When just starting out, I just shot for something under ten. Now I try to keep it at five or less. But I.wouldn't freak out about an occasional 7 if it were a flavor my cat really loved.

15. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Oh, sorry! I meant their listed value of 9% is probably higher than the as fed values. I would guess it is under 5% since all of the other fish flavors of classic FF are.

16. Bonnie & Kyndra

Bonnie & Kyndra Member

Re: Fancy Feast Classic former name?

I have been trying to find this out, too and think someone mentioned their "former names" somewhere. My cat was not diabetic then so I do not know their former names. What was the Turkey Classic and the Beef Classic in their former life?

I have been feeding them right along but also with grain free, but Kyndra seems to have a bit of soft stools with Merricks BG and Wellness (I can't give her that at all anymore). I have been mixing in the FF but her numbers seem high so I wanted to check them (FF numbers) again. My other cats loves these 3 classics so it is hard to deprive Kyndra altogether.

thanks,

17. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

There are pictures here of the low carb gluten free Fancy feast: http://www.felinediabetes.com/glutenfree.htm The images are small and slightly out of focus but you can tell what color the labels are.

18. DEF

DEF Member

I emailed Purina asking about carb content of the Fancy Feast Florentine varieties (Elegant Medley). Also told them they should put the info on their website as owners of diabetic cats need the info.

Anyway they quickly responded and they mailed me the information I wanted. It included nutritional breakdown of the Florentines and others in their line.

(I don't know what fed values means. These are the labeled % of carbohydrates on their list.)

Classic Chicken Feast is .90% carbs.
    Classic Salmon and Shrimp Feast is 1.20% carbs
    Classic Seafood Feast .60% carbs
    Classic Cod Sole and Shrimp .60% carbs
    Classic Grill Feast 1.10% carbs
    Classic Ocean Whitefish and Tuna .60% carbs
    CLassic Savory Salmon Feast 1.10% carbs

Chicken Florentine 2.60% carbs
    Turkey Florentine 2.60% carbs
    Wild Salmon Florentine 2.70% carbs
    Tuna Florentine 3.00 % carbs
    (Florentines are higher but my diabetic kitty is very picky and she will eat Flor. Chick)

Tender Beef Feast 1.10% carbs.
    Tender Beef and Chicken Feast 1.30% carbs
    Tender Beef and Liver 1.10% carbs
    Tender Liver and Chicken Feast .80% carbs
    Turky and Giblets Feast .90% carbs

It says on the papers that they were revised 5/16/11 and 8/1/11 so this is very latest data.

Elaine and Pinky

19. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

The carb content of Fancy Feast is here on the old canned food chart:; http://binkyspage.tripod.com/CanFoodOld.html

Simply remove the word "classic" from the beginning of the name, and that's how it is on the chart. For example, Classic Tender Beef Feast is called "Tender Beef Feast" on the chart. Classic Turkey & Giblets Feast is called simply "Turkey & Giblets." The only thing different about "Classic" is that they added "Classic" to the name of the food on the cans. The only exception is Classic Chicken, which is called "Gourmet Chicken" on the charts.

In terms of carbs, I would still consider the carb values on Binky's chart for Fancy Feast current, as there have been no drastic changes in the past few years to the ingredients in Fancy Feast classic that would cause the carb content to change drastically. All of the flavors in the classic line are low enough (under 5%) in carbs where you won't have any problems. Once you get down that low, it makes no difference if you're feeding 4% carbs, 2% carbs, or 0% carbs.

The Elegant Medley Flavors are on the new canned food charts: http://binkyspage.tripod.com/CanFoodNew.html. However, I would not recommend feeding these because they are a little on the higher side in terms of carbs, and there are problem carb-y ingredients in them. Some cats might be able to handle them, and some not. Some cats are carb sensitive when they are on insulin and need to be kept under 7 or 8% instead of 10%, but you wouldn't know unless you try a food out in that range. Bandit couldn't have above 7% carbs when he was on Lantus, but OTJ he can eat 8% and 9% canned foods without a problem.

As Fed values are quite different from Guaranteed values, and you don't want to use the guaranteed analysis that is supplied on the can (or even by the pet food company unless you specify that you want the as-fed values). The reason for this is because the Guaranteed Analysis is based off of minimums and maximums, so you have no idea how much of something is actually in there. For example, if can of food says it has a minimum of 5% fat, that means it could have 5%, or 10%, or 20%...all of which would drastically change the carb/protein content of the food. You have to call pet-food companies to get the as-fed values, and some are more forthcoming than others. I emailed Purina weeks ago to update the values of some of the Fancy Feast flavors, and they still have not gotten back to me. I've found most of the premium cat food companies like Wellness, EVO, or Merricks will immediately supply you with their as-fed values if you call and ask.

20. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Elaine, those carbohydrate percentages are not the same as the ones on binky's chart, because you have to further convert that number into a dry matter basis to account for the percentage of water in the food. Here's a great page that explains it: http://catinfo.org/?link=cannedfoods#Calculating__Percentage_of_Carbohydrates:

21. Eva & Butters

Eva & Butters Member

Hi, Everyone ~

Julia, I wonder if you'd get a response from Purina if you used the contact form from their web site instead of the email address that I had for them? http://register.purina.com/content/Cont ... cebrand=18
    register.purina.com/content/ContactUs?sourcebrand=18 (this is the complete link)
    That's how I got in touch with them, but I'd thought their direct email address might work better. Guess not...

And maybe it would help if you mentioned that you're representing a Feline Diabetes forum with 4,000 members which BJ had suggested awhile back. I'm really having second thoughts about continuing to purchase Purina cat food products if they're not more forthcoming in providing the nutritional information that we request. This may give me the push to start making raw food for our 6 cats.

Worth another try, Julia. Good Luck!

Eva

22. DEF

DEF Member

Julia, thanks for that clarification about fed values. Wish they would just give out what is needed without making it like pulling teeth.

I moan and groan (to myself) when I have to revisit food issues. I have a most picky eater (with high BG numbers) who still eats about 50% chicken florentine (11% on Binky chart). I have tried all those expensive brands (and cheap ones) and throw them out. But she has got to eat. I give the florentine when it is shot time and she won't eat anything else. I will have to keep looking for lower %'s . It amazes me that all my cats (6) turn up their noses at all these brands. You think out of all of them somebody would eat canned evo (and others) but NOPE. I pitch it all after it sits and sits. The other 5 do get alot of gravy FF and Florentines and they must tell Pinky about it and she is PO about it. Elaine and Pinky

23. Bonnie & Kyndra

Bonnie & Kyndra Member

I still don't understand why a company won't just include the carbs in the analysis? I am sure this has been discussed before, but if Merrick's already has "low Glycemic" labeling, why don't they just add it? Even if it was a range it would be helpful. if WE can figure it, surely they can (lol!) and just because it is NOT required does not mean they CAN"T do it.

It's just so frustrating. cat(2)_steam I am pretty well set, but when I was first starting out I was so confused.

24. Bonnie & Kyndra

Bonnie & Kyndra Member

Thanks! I have looked time and again at her chart and for some reason I just could not see that! :oops:

25. Julia & Bandit (GA)

I think they don't because they don't have to. If people start understanding the nutritional content of pet food, then people would not buy the unhealthier foods as much as they do--and those are the ones that have the highest profit margin. Unless the FDA forces them to print the nutritional content, they never will.

Merrick's is really good about giving you their values if you ask for them, though. I called a few weeks ago to double check a phosphorus value, and they have all the information right there on hand. You don't get transferred to a bunch of different people, and they know exactly what you're talking about. Purina--well, I could just about scream trying to get the info from them.

26. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

The carb content did change in the last few years, it was as Smokey was coming off insulin the first time or just after. All of them went up slightly, I know the beef classic went to around 5%. IIRC they had changed a binder or something in there and we all noticed a change in the consistancy and one of the board members got new numbers out of them. I don't remember any of them moving enough to make them too high, but none of the classics were in the 2-3% range anymore other than maybe some of the fish.

27. beclt

beclt Member

Thanks everyone! So helpful :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.