Fancy Feast Classics ?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Brittney, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brittney

Brittney Member

As suggested by multiple people and credible sources I decided to go with FFC for my cat Emmy (diagnosed yesterday, so this is a huge change for us moving to all wet food). To get the right number of calories she needs approx 3 cans a day (2 servings of 1.5 cans approx 280 calories total). The problem is that her Brother, who is 18 lbs, needs even MORE than three cans to maintain a slow weight loss program.

This puts me at 6 cans of FFC per day. Which is A TON OF WET CATFOOD... It's pretty much too late to switch brands because we committed to this brand and she starts insulin tomorrow (I want to keep things consistent for now).

Does anybody have a solution or advice? Is there any place to by larger cans of FFC???

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

No, Fancy Feast is only made in 3oz cans, but you can feed Friskies pates (which do come in bigger cans) to either just your civvie or to both cats

Friskies pates are low carb and OK for diabetic cats

When we first started, I fed FF to China and my civvies got Friskies....that way if China did get into their food, it was still low carb enough to not effect her numbers

Paigeworthy and Callie & Patches like this.
  3. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

Also , 9 lives is low carb. I alternate the different brands and flavors so Callie will be sure to get an assortment of nutraments. There are lists of low carb cat foods to choose in different price brackets. The low carb food might be good for the 18 lb guy.

4. Brittney

Brittney Member

Thanks guys! I will look into these options. I didn't consider feeding my big boy something different but thats a stellar idea!

Callie & Patches likes this.
  5. minxkohl&mush

minxkohl&mush Member

I give my sugar cat & my non-sugar cats 9 lives, friskies & fancy feast. They love all 3.

Good luck,

6. whiskeysmom

whiskeysmom Member

Whiskey loves Fancy Feast Classics. Then again he is not a picky eater lol

7. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

I buy cans of food in a case from either Amazon or Walmart. A case has 24 three ounce cans and costs about $10.00 at Walmart for Fancy Feast and Sheba pates.
    I used to buy individual cans but have found it is cheaper to buy by the case. Hope this helps you out.

Inez Clarke and Critter Mom like this.
  8. Nat & Fluffy

Nat & Fluffy Member

I can attest to the greatness of FFC, it immediately got my Fluffy into remission when he first diagnosed. You're doing the right thing. Good luck!

9. Bernie

Bernie Member

Some FF Classic varieties have gone through a formula change recently resulting in a big jump in dry carb %. FF Classic Chicken Feast has gone from 6.8% to over 10%.

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. Nat & Fluffy

Nat & Fluffy Member

Holy crap really?? My cat is eating that!! DANGIT! Do you know which foods are safe? I buy the package that has FF Poultry & Beef Feast Variety, which comes with Tender Beef Feast Classic, Turkey& Giblets Feast Classic, & Chicken Feast Classic.... :(

11. Bernie

Bernie Member

I never have fed the Tender Beef Classic because I felt it was too high in carbs. If you want to download a carb calculator go to scheyderweb.com and scroll to the bottom of the page where you will see an option for a Cat Food Nutrition Calculator. The dry matter carbs is the figure you want to pay attention to, I personally never fed wet that calculated over 6.8% and really prefer the % to be closer to 2-5%. I also figure every can before feeding, I simply do not trust the pet food industry.

The new recipe was also making many cats sick with vomiting and diarrhea so I now feed Nutro mostly but once in a while will feed Sheba for variety but always check the carb % right in the store before purchase.

Critter Mom and Nat & Fluffy like this.
  12. Nat & Fluffy

Nat & Fluffy Member

Not even the Tender Beef Classic? Shoot... I thought it was like 4% carbs... It's good to have skepticism :O Why the heck do they mislead us with fake garbage? (For the first 15 years of Fluffy's life, I fed him dry food, not knowing how bad it was.)

So I'm guessing the Turkey & Giblets Classic is okay? Any other FFCs that are good or other personal recommendations? I'm also trying to find something with low phosphorus because he may have a suspected kidney infection or disease that right now he is on antibiotics for.

Critter Mom likes this.
  13. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Daves comes in 5oz as well--you can get it at Chewys... they have a 95% meat ...mine like the salmon. They have other varieties and Daves will give you the carb count, it is a pretty good food.
    Natures Variety Pride is low and comes in 5 oz
    Nutro MAX cat ranges from 8-12% (some may be higher... the venison and duck and chicken are 8%
    Evolve also is 5oz and low carb.

14. jayla-n-Drevon

most FF are too high for kidney cats..... that being said a cat has to eat and depending how finicky you may be better off adding a phos binder .....

15. Nat & Fluffy

Nat & Fluffy Member

Oh no :( A phos binder? What is that? Fluffy is usually open to trying new things, the only thing he wouldn't try was this prescription food that was expensive and not even that great.

16. jayla-n-Drevon

a binder is a tasteless powder that you mix with the food-it pulls the phos out :bighug: (it can cause constipation many of us use miralax for our kittys)

[​IMG]

Critter Mom likes this.
  17. Nat & Fluffy

Nat & Fluffy Member

@jayla-n-Drevon ahhhh okay!! I'll have to check that out :) ahhh~

Dave's 95% chicken & chicken liver pate is 0.31% carbs??? Is this even real? lol I know fluffy will eat that!

18. jayla-n-Drevon

YES!!
    Daves is a good food and Chewys has 100% satisfaction !!
    They have lots of flavors.... you can try a variety from Amazon (it may cost more) but then you can get the cases cheaper on Chewys--they have great customer service :)

19. Nat & Fluffy

Nat & Fluffy Member

@jayla-n-Drevon !! Thank you so much! I am desperate to get Fluffy some lower, stable numbers D: !!

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  20. Paige & Oreo

Paige & Oreo New Member

Wow...new here and have been feeding FFC. Just calculated dry matter carbs for the following flavors:

Chicken: 10%
    Ocean Whitefish & Tuna Feast: 13%
    Turkey & Giblets: 7%

So frustrating as I thought I was doing the right thing here. Might have to try out Dave's.

Nat & Fluffy likes this.
  21. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

You need to go by the % of calories from carbs being under 10%, not the dry matter carbs. It might make a difference when determining which foods are suitable.

For anyone reading who hasn't already got one, here's a carb & calorie calculator:

http://fnae.org/carbcalorie.html

Mogs

Nat & Fluffy and Paige & Oreo like this.
  22. Paige & Oreo

Paige & Oreo New Member

Thank you for clarifying - so much to learn!

Nat & Fluffy and Critter Mom like this.
  23. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

And then some!

Nat & Fluffy and Paige & Oreo like this.
  24. Jeffysmom

Jeffysmom New Member

So how much wet food do you feed your cats? My guy weighs 15 lbs and not sure how much he needs to eat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.