Fancy Feast Flavors...Oreo getting Picky!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by oreosmom, Aug 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oreosmom

oreosmom Member

Hi All,

I wondered what Fancy Feast Flavors are your diabetic kitty's favorites as well as low carb? Our Oreo had been on Fancy Feast Classics, but he is getting very, very picky! I have to add a bit of kibble or some Fancy Feast grilled ontop. Then he whines and wants more of the grilled. If you have any suggestions, we would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Oreo's Mom

2. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Mine only get classics as my goal is regulation or remission.

Sounds like Oreo is playing you though.. dont give in!

3. I try to give Bob a different flavor each meal, just to avoid "burn out".
    Over two years, it seems like "chopped grill" is the overall favorite. And the least fave is "chicken feast".
    He also likes any with an "and" in the flavor, like turkey & giblets, salmon & shrimp, beef & chicken, but not cod/sole/shrimp (the smell of that one is the one I find most offensive so I can't blame him)

All of the above are low carb... I think 5% or less.

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

My girls have decided they only like Beef Feast and Beef & Liver Feast. So that is what they get. When I try another flavor, they turn away and refuse to eat. When the beef shows up, they chow down.

5. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Try sprinkling some freeze dried chicken on top. And walk away - dont hover.
    Do you free feed or give a couple of meals a day?

Wendy

6. oreosmom

oreosmom Member

We feed twice a day and leave out some Purina DM Dry. He rarely eats it anyway. I'll get some of the freeze dried chicken. Thanks!

7. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Do you have any other cats or dogs? If not, weigh the food every day to see if its going down - you may be surprised how much he eats and is likely keeping his bg high.. and appetite low..

8. oreosmom

oreosmom Member

Thanks, I will give it a try. He does steal from our other cat. So I will keep an eye on thsi.

Best

9. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Try sprinkling a bit of parmesan or oregano on top. You can also leave out the wet food during the day; just add extra water to it so it doesn't dry out.

10. oreosmom

oreosmom Member

Thanks All for the GREAT suggestions!

Best wishes,

Carol, Oreo's Mom

11. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

12. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

What you might do is swap out 1-2 teaspoons per can with another flavor and blend them together. This will slightly shift the flavor, but perhaps not enough to cause refusal.

Sudden food changes can provoke GI upsets and perhaps this has happened with some of the foods, too, creating a learned aversion.

13. TheBowHuntress

TheBowHuntress Well-Known Member

Hi Carol--

Gobbles favorite Fancy Feast (low carb) flavors are: turkey and giblets (pate) and chunky chicken...he adores both of them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.