Fancy Feast - turkey and giblets

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by paige, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Okay, I followed Binky's list of wet food and the list that was for "no gluten and <10% carbs).....but I am still a little scared because I see that those items have not been updated (some since 2007?) I may be wrong.

I would like get some of the names of Fancy Feast you all are using and know (from home testing) that they are okay to feed?

Cautious Paige :oops:

2. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I use the non-seafood Gourmet line of Fancy Feast. The gourmet line is a pate, and less than 10% carbs. Also gluten free. The boxes they come in (if you buy a case) have a red stripe around the top edge with the word "Gourmet." The flavors are listing in this page from the old Board: http://www.felinediabetes.com/glutenfree.htm

3. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Thank you Venita. That is where I got mine from too :D

4. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

There are a lot of brands besides Fancy Feast that are grain free and many contain higher quality ingredients. The quality/source of the protein does have an impact. Unless you live in a small town without a pet store, try to find Wellness, Merrick's or some of the other grain-free brands that use primarily muscle meat as opposed to organ meat.

5. Janet & Binky (GA)

Janet & Binky (GA) Senior Member Staff Member Moderator

Being cautious is good! When in doubt, check the list of ingredients; that's not allowed to be out of date by more than 6 months.

It's my observation that Fancy Feast has been pretty consistent for some years. But there have been recent reports that they may be changing soon.

6. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Well I gave the gang some Fancy Feast Turkey and Giblets this evening and it seems to have been a hit. I also purchased some of the Beefeaters Freeze Dries Salmon. BOY DID THEY ALL LOVE THAT STUFF!

Thanks to all that have offered their advice. I just can't get over how wonderful everyone is on this board. Yay!!

7. Maximillian's Person

Maximillian's Person Member

I have fed my guys several types of FF and Wellness and Nature's Variety canned and in all honesty, the only one they really like consistently is FF turkey and giblets. I buy it by the case!

They eat that and Nature's Variety Chicken raw exclusively.

8. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

The last time I gave FF it seemed to contain 26% carbs!!!
    So not all varieties of FF are ok.
    Now I'm calculating all the food I give before I give it. Made a simple spreadsheet for it where I have to fill in only the numbers mentioned on the can (in the Netherlands always Guaranteed Analysis) and the rest happens by itself.

Good luck.
    Ella

9. Jan and Buddy

Jan and Buddy Member

I know alot of you use the Wellness, I have a Petsmart, and Petco can I get it from either one of those???? Or can u only order online?

Thanks
    Jan

10. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

You can get it at Petco or Petsmart. I would buy only a few cans of each to try. I have foster kittens and my own cats and I can't really sell them on the Wellness, once in a while they will go for it, but FF has usually been the one thing they will eat consistently.

Oddly, I've found the small cans of Wellness are better for my cats than the large. Not sure why or if it's just may cats but they wont eat any Wellness flavors if I buy the larger can.

11. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

My Petsmart does not sell Wellness, so go to my PetCo or other specialty shop. I too, cannot get the larger cans - but have to get smaller cans of everything - because like addicts - they will not eat it unless they hear that "fresh crack" of the can :D I try to only feed the higher end, no by products - but sometimes will treat them to FF. Thankfully we have no known allergies - so they also love the Nurto High Protein Low Carb food choices too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.