? Faulty Meter??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Peppersmom72, Dec 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peppersmom72

Peppersmom72 Member

I just tested Pepper's BG, and the AlphaTrak 2 meter says 602. I got another test strip and tested it again and it says 384. Not quite sure which number to go with. Wondering if something could be faulty with the meter. Same blood (squeezed a bit more for another sample), different strip.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Are the strips from the same container? Is the code on the AlphaTrak set correctly to match what is on the strip container?

3. Peppersmom72

Peppersmom72 Member

Yes and yes.

4. FurBabiesMama

Are the batteries pretty new? I have never heard of such a discrepancy in back-to-back tests with the AT. Do you have enough strips to do a third??

5. Peppersmom72

Peppersmom72 Member

Now I'm wondering if her readings have really been this high all along or if they are in fact lower.

6. Peppersmom72

Peppersmom72 Member

We just bought the meter a few weeks ago when she was diagnosed.

7. FurBabiesMama

I think I would do a third test to see where it falls. That is so odd.

8. Peppersmom72

Peppersmom72 Member

She just ate about 20 minutes ago, should I test anyways?

Sharon14 likes this.
  9. Peppersmom72

Peppersmom72 Member

I just tested again, after eating 25 minutes ago and it is 568.

10. FurBabiesMama

Sorry, I was away feeding Mia and giving her shot. Since she had eaten 20 minutes before, the number cannot really be compared to the first two.

I can see why you would have concern over getting two back-to-back tests so different. I think I would call AlphaTrak and tell them and see what they have to say. Maybe some other AT users will chime in, too.

Peppersmom72 likes this.
  11. Peppersmom72

Peppersmom72 Member

Its just odd that before she ate she was at 602 and 30 mins. after eating she was at 568. I would guess the 2nd test of 384 would be more accurate based on the fact that the glucose would go up after eating. I am calling AT today and see what they say.

12. FurBabiesMama

Let us know! :)

Peppersmom72 likes this.
  13. Peppersmom72

Peppersmom72 Member

Well, I just tried to call Zoetis (which I'm assuming is the manufacturer of AlphaTrak meter). They kept on trying to sell me some kind of "$100 rebate" if I use my credit card. SCAM! I don't think so! So, no one will answer my question there. They just kept transferring me to someone else that was trying to scam me. So, now back to square one not knowing what to do.

14. FurBabiesMama

Is this the number you called? 888-963-8471

15. Peppersmom72

Peppersmom72 Member

Yes, that's it.

16. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I suspect the outlier is the 384. Sometime a strip does not get enough blood and one gets a low BG but do not get the error of not enough blood. It generally takes more than 30 minutes for food to effect BG and N insulin might have some lowering BG effect in 20 minutes.

17. Peppersmom72

Peppersmom72 Member

Thank you @Larry and Kitties

That makes me feel better. But are you saying that the 384 was a false reading or that the 602 was a possible false reading?
    On another note, do you know anything about using Freestyle Lite test strips in the AT2 meter? I was thinking about purchasing those test strips since they work in the AT2 meter, but not sure of what the variance of the BG numbers would be.

18. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.