Favorite meter?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jill and Noah, Aug 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jill and Noah

Jill and Noah New Member

I looked at the meter recommendations for 2018 and it looks like Freestyle Freedom Lite is a top choice and only requires a tiny bit of blood. Any favorites from actual diabetic cat Moms and Dads? Although I'm a fan of bargains cost isn't a major concern if there is a superior meter that is more expensive to operate.
    Noah will not be cooperative initially, but its ok we will work it out.
    Thanks!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I use an older (?) model, the Freestyle Lite, and like it a lot. Gives a reading quickly with a tiny blood drop. The strips are $$ though - like that everywhere in Canada. Walmart here doesn't carry the ReliOn models many members like because they work well and strips are quite cheap.

Jill and Noah likes this.
  3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I'm in the minority here; I use the AlphaTrak2. The strips are quite expensive. I pay anywhere from $43 to $49 for 50.

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

The AT meter is excellent but 50 strips will set me back at least $100 CAD. :eek:

5. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

freestyle lite meter readings were so way off, i quit using it after a week. i use the alphatrek2 pet meter with human freestyle lite strips. i prefer the freestyle lite institutional version strips, almost close to the alpha trek 2 strips readings when meter is set to code 38 the majority of the time and rarely nore than 10 points less, the other retail.etc versions are fine but, often are 20 or more points off and have more duds. i do still use the pricy AT2 strips though as backup for confirming low numbers near hypo range are accurate..
    if cost isn't a major option than alphatrek 2 with at AT2 strips is my recommendation for sure but, highly still recommend getting the freestyle lite strips to use with it for a $1 per AT2 strips reallyyyy added up when you test 3-4 times or more a day!! the freestyle strips can be foind for under 50 cents each or less on ebay, i buy them in a bulk auction and often only pay 30 cents each in the end.

6. Beck and Philly

Beck and Philly Well-Known Member

Ditto! Love the meter but strips are a killer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.