GA Fay vomiting blood again

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Alex&Fayaway, Feb 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex&Fayaway

Alex&Fayaway Member

Hi all,

I am at a crossroads. Woke up this morning to bloody vomit - only hair in the vomit, but pretty dark pink/red. Her abdomen has been distended and hard for weeks.

We are still sitting in the 200s for her BS nadirs, up in the 300s pre-shot. But I deeply feel that something else is wrong.

I feel like I can go one of two ways: get it all worked up, pay through the nose, find out I either have 1) an option to treat that costs more money, or 2) find I have no options and need to put her down; or, I don't get it worked up, I just decide that her body is not well and that this whole thing is likely more complicated than I imagined...and put her down without the workup.

I don't want to do a disservice to the cat by just putting her down right away, and yet I feel pretty clearly that I am not willing to let the money pour out forever and forever. I just don't want to be a fool here and if it comes down to accepting reality rather than stringing the cat through a series of invasive things, I am in favor of that.

PS - since I last posted, we are now on the PetSafe feeder, she gets food at 7am, 11am, 3pm, 7pm, and 11pm. She still bugs me mercilessly for food.

Thoughts? I don't want criticism, I want concrete and constructive thoughts on what the most prudent thing may be, and others' experiences with similar occasions.

Thank you all,
    Alex

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2015
    Reason for edit: Added Guardian Angel prefix. Fly free little Fayaway... land softly.
  2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would make an appoint with a vet that understands your situation. The distended and hard abdomen together with the the now vomiting blood does not look promising. I would opt for some imaging (x-rays or ultrasound) if your vet thinks it is worthwhile.
    Being on six years old is also not a good sign

KPassa likes this.
  3. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree with Larry.
    I would get an ultrasound or x ray to see what's going on. It will give you piece of mind.

I am going thru similar situation with mine..... I chose to do the ultrasound because it's non invasive.
    I don't have a definite confirmation of cancer, but the odds and symptoms fit and the ultrasound confirmed that there was thickening
    in many areas of her body.

I don't want to put her thru the invasive procedures and tests when they make her so miserable. And where her cancer is, they can't
    remove it.... I am just enjoying her while I can.
    Mine isn't as bad off as yours sounds..... but it could come.

KPassa likes this.
  4. Alex&Fayaway

Alex&Fayaway Member

The cat seems "ok" but I'm guessing she is masking a lot.

How expensive was your ultrasound? I don't want her to suffer and she's been so hard to regulate; as I said, I think there are other things at play.

5. Larry and Kitties

How expensive ultrasound is depends on where yo are located. I had one on MurrFee abut a year ago as part of ER treatment and it was about $600.

6. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

X-rays are cheaper, but they might not show anything. Try calling the vet directly and ask for costs. They can vary wildly from vet to vet.

7. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

definely call around....
    my vet doesn't have the equipment but has a guy that comes with his equipment to do ultrasounds.
    I paid $350....

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Have you checked for constipation as part of the problem? Partial blockage of the GI tract can be very uncomfortable for the cat and impair food absorption.

9. Alex&Fayaway

Alex&Fayaway Member

Hi @BJM, I sure did. Vet even checked her today, said she was not constipated. The sad news is that I did put her to sleep today. It was not a decision I came to lightly. Taking a break from the weeping now just to type this out....

I felt she was suffering and I really think there was a huge (yet unknown) underlying cause of her diabetes. I rolled the dice and elected not to do a full workup because I felt the chances of whatever we found being a simple fix were slim. She has not been herself over the last few days. With the bloody vomit, distention, and likely discomfort...it just seemed humane. It was so hard to let her go but I held her in my arms and it was as peaceful as it could be. I sure hope her passing to the other side was a good one.

Going to take me a while; she's been my friend for 6 years, has followed me to three states, and will be deeply missed. cat_wings>o

10. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

{{hugs}}
    I understand.

11. Stacym20

Stacym20 Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. :(

12. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Oh, Alex! I'm sorry for your loss.:( You have given Fayaway peace and love and will see her again, happy and healthy.:rb_icon:

Alex&Fayaway likes this.
  13. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

My deepest condolences Alex on the loss of your Fayaway.

Alex&Fayaway likes this.
  14. Larry and Kitties

Sending purrs and prayers. It is also hard to make that decision.

Alex&Fayaway likes this.
  15. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Oh (((Alex))), I am so very sorry for your loss.

You have been a wonderful caregiver, and Fayaway had a wonderful life because of your love for her.
    Your putting her to sleep was also a gift of love to her.

Be very kind to yourself in the coming days. Grief needs it's own time and can affect us in unexpected ways.
    I wish you strength and peace.

Huge hug to you, Alex,

Eliz x

Alex&Fayaway likes this.
  16. LynRich

LynRich Member

Alex, I'm so very sorry that you've lost Faye,*HUGS* you did everything possible for her. She knew you loved her very much & she's at peace now xx

Look after yourself, it took me ages to get over having my last two cats Rosie & Abby PTS & they'll always have a special place in my heart, as I know Faye will have in yours xx

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
    Alex&Fayaway likes this.
  17. suki & crystal (GA)

suki & crystal (GA) Well-Known Member

So sorry Alex that you had to make that tough decision, wishing you peace and strength in the coming days to know you did the right thing for Faye.

Suki & Crystal

Alex&Fayaway likes this.
  18. ramonaghan

ramonaghan Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. Rest well, Fay.

Alex&Fayaway likes this.
  19. Karen & Rudy

Karen & Rudy Member

I am so sorry for your loss :-( hugs

Alex&Fayaway likes this.
  20. Alex&Fayaway

Alex&Fayaway Member

Thanks everyone. I expected grief, of course, but am really floored by my tremendous sadness. I keep playing through the day over and over again. Fayaway was a unique little spirit. I hope she understands I did what I did out of care and not convenience. I've talked a lot during my brief time on this board about the challenge of the logistics of FD...but I feel I can honestly say I tried as best I could, gave her a fair shot. It was clear she wasn't getting better. Ultimately I do suspect we were looking at some sort of malignancy. I'll never know, I'm okay with it. I just didn't want her to suffer any more.

KPassa likes this.
  21. Alex&Fayaway

Alex&Fayaway Member

Sending prayers to you and you kitty. Vet told me ever without ultrasound she felt there was a lot of thickening in her GI/tummy. It's so hard.

22. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

((Hugs!)) You both fought valiantly and you made the decision out of love. That's what matters. She is no longer suffering.

23. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

I'm sorry.
    Fly Free Fay.
    [​IMG]

24. kallima_butterfly

kallima_butterfly Member

OH no....Had a little cry for you Alex. May Fayaway sprit float happy and her memories forever live in your heart. So sorry to hear about your loss. Hugscat_wings>ocat_wings>ocat_wings>o

25. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

So sorry, may you both find peace.

26. JAAshwell

JAAshwell Member

I'm so sorry Alex.

27. LynRich

LynRich Member

Alex, you did everything that was humanly possible to try & help Faye get better . I'm sure you've done the right thing, I sometimes worry I let my last two elderly cats struggle on for too long.

It sounds as though there was something else going on apart from the diabetes .

You loved each other, & you gave her a wonderful life xx

Please PM me if you ever feel like a chat , or need some emotional support *HUGS*

28. ursa68

ursa68 Member

I'm so sorry for your loss, Alex. You acted selflessly by letting her go, and I'm sure she's at peace now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.