FDMB has changed software!

Discussion in 'Announcements & How to use the FDMB' started by Robert and Echo, Dec 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert and Echo

Robert and Echo Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Will there be some adjustment needed? Yes. Will you be able to do it? Yes. Will you be happier afterward? YES!

Thanks everyone for making this a great community. Let's all remember to keep it positive.

For the ISG - Insulin Support Groups - this has been changed:

After months of careful consideration, the Webmaster and Moderator team have decided to realign the Insulin Support Groups as follows:

Lantus (Glargine) & Levemir (Detemir)
    Prozinc & PZI
    Vetsulin/Caninsulin/Humulin N
    Acromegaly/IAA/Cushings
    Honeymooners

This alignment will give caregivers the best opportunity to interact with other members who use the same or similar insulin. These interactions can only be positive as people are exposed to different methods of using the same insulin.

We realize that this change will be difficult for some members, but we strongly believe that this alignment is in the best interest of the cats. Recently we have noticed a large uptick in the number or people posting in multiple forums looking for assistance, meaning that they have not been able to get what they needed in one place. We see Levemir users who do not realize that they have an active home on the board, and we see new members who do not even know who the experienced members are because they are not exposed to those people on a regular basis.

Thank you,

Robert & Rebecca

EDIT: Follows is a very good post by Libby and Lucy
    -------------------------

Over the past few months, we have seen increasing numbers of cats fall through the cracks on all three Lantus/Levemir forums. Many of these situations were preventable. We are here to help people deal with feline diabetes so they can help their cats be healthy, but we can't do that if caregivers can't get connected with the people who can help them.

Think about these situations (real situations I have seen in the past 3 months - I'm not naming names because it is not the caregiver's fault that we made it too hard for them to get what they needed):
    1. A new Levemir user signs on to FDMB. They find a Levemir forum, with no posts in at least a month and the stickies last updated in 2009/2010. Their conclusion would either be that there are few Levemir users, or that there is little or no support available for Levemir users. They might even think it's still an experimental insulin in cats. They would not have any way of knowing that approximately half of the members on either of the Lantus forums were actually using Levemir. In fact, the last post on the old Levemir forum was someone who was looking for advice on switching - it took a full day for anyone to notice their post and reply. That caregiver never signed back in, so they probably did not even see the reply. I hope they found some help somewhere.
    2. Someone frustrated with a pattern that their cat was displaying that baffled the others trying to help them. I know for a fact that there were people on another forum who would have recognized it and could have talked them through (in fact my cat did the same thing), but those people did not even know about the situation or the frustration so of course they did not jump in. In this case, the cat eventually suffered from DKA that was probably preventable (he's ok now, thankfully).
    3. More than one person who posted almost daily in more than one forum. Of course it is everyone's right to post anywhere and everywhere they want, but presumably the reason they would do this would be if they cannot find everything they need in one spot. It can be difficult (and confusing) to be receiving advice in more than one place when the individuals advising may or may not be aware of the others who are also helping. There were a couple of people that I was trying to help, and before I posted to them I would think "oh wait, that person also posts on another forum, I'd better search to see if they have posted this same question somewhere else and what advice they received there." Even if viewpoints differ, it is more efficient and more helpful to the caregiver if a discussion can occur rather than just getting different sets of advice and trying to decide what to believe.
    4. Along the same lines, there was a caregiver who posted for urgent advice in a couple of different forums on a day when her usual forum was very quiet. She received some good advice, but she didn't even know the people who were trying to help her so she didn't trust them to take their advice. That's not her fault, it's ours because we allowed people to become so segregated that they don't even know who else is using their same insulin successfully.
    Having said all of that, I think it's VERY important, as Jill mentioned, to recognize that the RL and Levemir forums were not merged INTO the TR forum. It's a whole new forum. Everyone is new. I'm sure it will take some time for a new group dynamic to sort itself out, but be patient and let's make this work. There were good things and bad things on all three of the old forums, and people who know their stuff and surely some people who don't, so let's look at this as a fresh start, be flexible, and make a helpful new home for all Lantus and Levemir cats.

Regarding the lack of notice, there were other issues that made it best to switch to the new board rather quickly. Under the circumstances, it made the most sense to rip the band-aid off all at once and change the forums at the same time. Some notice would have been ideal, but that was outweighed by other needs that were more urgent.

Libby and Lucy (member since 2008)
    Lucy dx 9/27/07, OTJ on 2/22/09 (PZI and Lantus)
    and GA's Jazzy (acromegaly) and Kris Kringle (KK) (Levemir and R)

2. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Just trying to familiarize myself with the new software...is there a way to create and save drafts?

Deborah & Shasta likes this.
  3. Darin & Charlie

Darin & Charlie Well-Known Member

I post from my phone and for the life of me, I can not find the new topic button

4. Darin & Charlie

Never mind found it, how I did not see it before.

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Just below upper right , it says Post New Thread

6. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

No "View your posts" button anymore?

You should see about putting that back in. It was one of the most convenient options that I have come across on a forum.

Darin & Charlie likes this.
  7. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

I too have been looking for the "view your post" button for at least 10 mins. I'm sure that it's around here somewhere, I just can't find it.

Anyone know where its at now?

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Well-Known Member

Is there any chance that the icons (shooting star for sticky notes and other important posts, candles and rainbow for kitties that have crossed to the Bridge, and the 911 icon can be restored? Likewise, some of the quick insert buttons (e.g., for a url link) can be accommodated for members who are unfamiliar with how to enter code?

Darin & Charlie likes this.
  9. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Comletely confused. How do I post a new thread? Need to have Name under advatar changed from Paula to Michael.
    Paula

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  10. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

It looks like you will need to check the box that says "Watch this thread".
    You will find it by clicking the "Options" tab.

11. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

You can edit your profile/signature by just hovering over your name at the top right of the screen (on laptop, if you're on mobile you'll have to tap it). You can also see Your Content there, where you can view your posts.

Paula, your User Name is what shows up under the avatar. Michael's name is in your signature. I'm not sure if you can change your User Name, but Robert can answer that.

Sienne, you can insert a URL by clicking the little hyperlink icon (the one that looks like a chain link) when you're typing your message. No need to know how to enter code. :) I also see an icon there that's a little disk drive to save drafts, and others to make formatting easier.

To start a new post, go to the forum you want to post in and click Post New Thread. It is a blue button that is both at the top right and bottom right of each forum.

There are a lot of cool features here that will be fun to learn to use.

12. Libby and Lucy

To View Your Posts, hover or click on your User Name at the top of the screen, then click Your Content.

13. Amy&TrixieCat

Another feature that I'm not seeing which was very helpful in the old forum was being able to "quote" a previous post....is that here somewhere? That really helped when answering specific questions for a poster.

14. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Look at the bottom right of the post you want to quote. You'll see "Like" and "Reply". Click on Reply and a that message will be quoted in your response.

15. Amy&TrixieCat

Cool...thanks, Jill!

16. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

This is helpful when it comes to seeing where you have posted in the past.

However, it doesn't indicate the last person who posted a particular thread.

With the old version I would use this to determine whether or not someone responded to a thread that I was active in.

17. Jill & Alex (GA)

Mike look at the first page in any active forum. If there are new posts, you'll see a blue dot to the left of the subject line of a thread. If you look all the way to the right side of the page you'll see the name of the last person who posted on that thread.

Does this help?

18. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

What happened to posts from last night? I was helping someone on Health with a low number?

19. Jill & Alex (GA)

Per Robert's message scrolling across near the top of the page:

"Please note that all posts from around 9PM 12/22 and after did NOT get imported to the new software. They *will not* be imported. Please copy and past as needed."

Ruth, the posts should still be on the "old board" if you'd like to copy and paste them here.

20. Darin & Charlie

I was just going to post that.

21. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Thanks Jill- old dog learning new tricks here.....:confused:

22. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

This helps when looking at all messages at the main board.

I was referring to my personal threads that I'm currently active in.

With the old format, I would click on "view my post" and then it would display all of the posts that I was active in along with with last person who responded.

I could look down the list of topics that I was active in and see the name of the member who had last posted.

Now if I click on the "your content" link as suggested, it will show all of the posts that I'm active in but doesn't show the last person who posted in each topic that I'm active in.

Do you know what I mean? Any suggestions?

23. Jill & Alex (GA)

Ha! I think most of us are in the same boat.
    We'll get it figured out. There's some really cool features in this new software! We'll all just have to help each for a bit 'til we get it figured out. :cool:

24. Jill & Alex (GA)

Sorry, at the moment I don't have any other suggestions.
    I haven't seen a feature here like you've described, but I'll keep my eyes open. Will post back if I see anything.
    Unfortunately, the software is new to all of us. Maybe someone else has found what you're looking for and will share...

25. Websterthecat

Websterthecat Member

Thank you Jill.

The new format has some great features... It's just a matter of figuring out how to use them! :)

26. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

As Sienne mentioned earlier, anyway to get smilies for the subject line? Especially "911" "greenie" "rainbow" "candle" "?" . Those really can get attention to conds that need it quickly. And the ones for within the post are, well, meh. A lot could be said without typing w/ them.

27. Ann & Tess GA

It looks like when you post to a condo on the list a small version of your avatar shows up by the avatar of the original poster. just like the red star that was there in the old board. The last poster will show on the right as Alex said. Also if you click on "Watch Thread" (on upper right when you open a condo) a pair of glasses will mark it in the forum list just in front of the no. of replies.

28. tibbs5

tibbs5 Well-Known Member

a bit confused. do i not post in relaxed lantus anymore? all lantus gets posted with tight reg and levimir? thanks

29. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

30. Jill & Alex (GA)

I know it's a little confusing, but we'll all get the hang of things with a little practice and patience. :)
    There are no longer separate groups for Lantus TR, or Relaxed Lantus, or Levemir ISGs. We've combined all 3 of these forums into one. All lantus and Levemir users will now post in
    the Lantus (Glargine) / Levemir (Detemir) ISG. Please use that forum for posting.
    Thank you.

31. Jill & Alex (GA)

I agree. It would be nice to have a few icons like 911, ?, and a rainbow or candle. We'll have to see if it's possible.
    Adding icons to "the list".

32. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Please don't forget to add Mr. Greenie. I'd hate for him to disappear!! Thanks.

33. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

And how can we bookmark a thread?

34. Top right hand side of the thread is "watch thread".
    You can choose to get notified on replies, or not.

On the forums toolbar you'll see " watched threads"?
    Click that and it will bring up a list of threads you have "watched"
    You may have to click on "show all watched threads"

When I just did that, it brought up every thread that I had "bookmarked" on the old board.

So when things were moved, all of your Old Board bookmarks became "Watched Threads" here.

Thanks for asking! I didn't know this either!
    Carl

35. Ann & Tess GA

Old signature links aren't working. I checked mine and it wasn't working.

Everyone needs to relink their SS in the signature.
    • Go to your SS and copy the URL address.
    • On any new board page, go to the dark bar at the top and hover over Your Name on the right side.
    • A drop down list will appear, click on "Signature".
    • A page where you can edit your signature will appear.
    • Select the name of your SS (or any other links you have here that need to be updated)
    • Click the link button above the text box and paste the url address of your SS in the space.
    • Click "Save Changes"
    I just did it for all of ours and the links work now.

36. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

When we post on Tight Regulation we always edit our title with updated SS numbers- for the life of me, I try to edit but it won't let me edit my title. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

37. I had the same question earlier!
    At the top of the thread, to the right, there is "thread tools" with a small down arrow next to it?
    Click that, and choose "edit thread" which will allow you to edit the title.

38. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

It's a shame we have lost the headings from each post, i.e. the only heading we can see now is the current one. It was handy to be able to see what the headings used to say at earlier times in the thread.

39. Ann & Tess GA

Hover the cursor over your User Name in the dark bar at the top of the page on the right. You'll see a drop down list w/ options for editing your info.

40. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I can't get J.D.'s 20th Birthday link to work in my signature. I tried both the link to the original condo on the old board and I also tried the direct link to the Youtube video and I keep getting a message
    Feline Diabetes Message Board - FDMB - Error
    which I guess would happen when I try to link the url for the condo from the old FDMB, but why do I get this same error message, when I'm just trying to add the link to the Youtube video?

Also, I used to have LLEF - Lantus Land Emergency Fund or contact us by PM to LLEF in my signature, but had to delete it now as I am only allowed 3 lines. Can I add LLEF - Lantus Land Emergency Fund to one of the first 3 lines, maybe?

41. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Maybe put some blank spaces in between each part of the signature, rather than on separate lines.

42. I'm trying to figure out this one. I had them same error last night when I tried to post a link to YouTube. I ended up using the Media button to embed the video, but couldn't figure out why just a link didn't work. I know on the old board you had to alter the URL a bit to make it work...

43. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I agree. We loose all that information if the first Subject Line is changed a lot throughout the day.

44. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Carl, how do you use the Media button to get it into the signature?
    I don't know where the Media button is when editing my signature.

45. I don't think it is available in the Sig editing tools. All I see is the add a link button. :(

46. Ann & Tess GA

Dyana, the birthday link and J.D.'s SS link are working, but the profile still isn't. Be sure to "Save Changes" before leaving the edit Signature page. I forgot to do that the first time.[​IMG] And YES, you can have them on one line w/ spaces in between. That's how I have our signature set up.

Unfortunately you don't seem to be able to change font color/size/style in the signature. That would help to keep things separated

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  47. Libby and Lucy

be patient with links to the old forum. There may be a way to fix them all at once. Just give it some time for Robert to look at after Christmas.

If losing the stuff in subject lines from throughout the day is an issue, then I suggest putting the important info in the post instead of or in addition to in the subject line. It's easier for the people reading the threads anyway.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  48. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

I just discovered this:
    On the blue bar at the top, your screen name should appear on the right. Hover over the name and a box pops up. Click on "your content" and it looks like you can see a list of your posts. I didn't completely test it, my eyes are very itchy as my allergies kicked in yesterday (merry Christmas!).

49. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I see a lot of other members that have more than 3 lines in their signatures. Are they doing something that I am not?

50. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

It was only when I went to make a change to my signature, that I got the message about my signature being 1 line too long. I deleted some space, combining 2 lines onto 1 line. Then I was able to save my signature changes.

It's definitely not as easy to read now, but at least all the information I want to have in my signature is there.

51. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

There may be some word wrapping that causes a display of more than 3 lines / 3 hard returns.

52. Ann & Tess GA

The problem is if you look at a reply in a thread, you don't know what the subject read when that reply was made. The subject could have been changed since. Are you saying that every time we reply we should copy the subject and paste it in the top of our reply???

One other thing I miss is the location and "member since" under the avatar. It is a great quick reference when someone wants info.: what time zone/country, if they are new and need basic info, etc.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  53. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Well-Known Member

Well, I followed Ann's directions and reloaded my SS link. I had to delete all of the links to photos and videos since I kept getting an error message that I had too many lines. The bigger issue though, is that SS links aren't appearing on my phone.

54. Ann & Tess GA

Yes, once we go in and edit the signature we seem to be limited to 3 lines, but you can have more than one link on a line. It helps to have some text in between since we can't do formatting in the signature. On the old board we were limited to 3 links in the signature, I don't know if that is still true though.

55. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I think I got my Profile Link to work, finally.

I then tried to add a couple of spaces after the link to J.D.'s Numbers and bring the link to his profile up to the 2nd line which worked, but when I tried to add the link to the Lantus Land Emergency Fund to the 3rd line, I got a message that says we can only have 3 links! I think maybe I should have never edited my signature..

56. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

What about making a link to a page of the 3 links?

57. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I am not that computer literate. I can go to Excel. I can go to Microsoft word. I can get to Face Book, and FDMB and my email and Photobucket. :) Where would I find "a page" and what program would I use to paste the links on? It would be cool to also have a link to pictures, too :)

58. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I would use Google Drive. It is free. The file is stored online so you can access it anywhere.
    You go there and create an account. Then, you create a document with anything in it you want. It will be similar to working in Word.
    See my signature links for some examples.

59. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Thanks. That's where I have J.D.'s Old Profile under Google Docs. So, I can add links to a blank page, make it published to the web, and save it, and then link that page to my signature. Interesting.

60. Ann & Tess GA

Dyana, you already have Google Drive, it's where J.D.'s SS and Profile are located. Go to the SS page, in the upper right corner is a green box. Click on that and it brings up a page w/ all your documents listed. On the left is a red box that says NEW. Click tha, then in the pop up box click on "Google Doc". You will have a new text document page. Fill in what ever links and other info about J.D. that you want , even pictures! Save it and copy the URL. Paste that as a link in your signature.

61. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Thanks Anne. I'll try it later. Pictures would be cool :)

62. Will there be some adjustment needed? Yes. Will you be able to do it? Yes. Will you be happier afterward? YES!

63. Kimmied

Kimmied Member

Where are all of the smiles and more like; big hug, dancing cat, cheerleader cat etc? Also, the smiles are showing up as words and not as what they are on other peoples posts.

How do I get these back?

Also, where's the symbols for 911, OTJ, Rainbow and candle at? How do I get these back?

Kimmie

64. Kimmie,
    All of the old board smilies are not a part of this software. More smilies may or may not get added at some point, but the only ones that are available are the ones that show up under the post window when you click on the smiley icon. Some people have used "other smiley icons" but I think they have copy and pasted them from elsewhere.

65. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,
    I discovered a strange phenomenon when clicking the link to the spreadsheet in several people's signatures. The version of the Google spreadsheet that pops up is the editable version and it looked like I could edit it! I checked several spreadsheets and the ones with "ccc" look editable, whereas the ones with "pub" are not. Perhaps someone knowledgeable about spreadsheets could check ito this?
    Ella

66. Yes, Ella, I think it was the same way on the old board. That's the primary reason the instructions say to make it "published to the web" (pub). The other issue with "ccc" type SS's is that they seem to take longer to load. And, if you use Google Docs a lot outside of FDMB, those with "ccc" in them will show up on your Google Docs main page under "your docs", and that can make the pile of documents that belong to you hard to manage.

67. Robert and Echo

re: "where is XYZ" questions on the new board -- It's coming! I just got home from the family 4 day out of town thing for Christmas, and now I can actually do some work again!

Signatures are limited to 3 lines.

68. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks, Carl. I'll send a link to your answer to Lyresa, who will want to read it.
    Ella

Squeaky and KT (GA) likes this.
  69. carfurby

carfurby Well-Known Member

Is there any way to make show all watched threads the default? It is very annoying to be looking for a post and then figure out it's not showing up. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for what shows up.

70. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Maybe, if you can figure out the link for showing watched threads, bookmark it.

71. There is a rhyme or reason.
    The only ones that will show up by default are those that have a reply made that you haven't read yet. All the ones without new replies are only shown if you click on "show all watched threads"
    Which makes perfect sense if you consider the concept of "watching a thread". You'd only want to see those that have something new in them.

We are using the function to " keep bookmarks" and we've found a way to do that. But that is not what the software engineers intended that it be used for.

We can always use our browsers' bookmark feature to make bookmarks for specific pages or threads.

72. Robert and Echo

Carl if you'll post this in Mods forum and give me some more background I could look at this if needed.

73. Will do, after work, Robert. :)

74. carfurby

carfurby Well-Known Member

Sometimes when I'm typing, it is showing up very, very slow. One letter at a time. Then when it stops, sometimes everything I just typed does not show up and sometimes it does. It doesn't happen on every condo. It just did as I typed this.

75. bettyandhank

bettyandhank Well-Known Member

My SS in my signature opens when I click on it...however it takes forEVER now. It does say 'pub' not CCC so not sure why. Hanks OTJ video link however is not working...it takes me to a dead page. How do I fix that? As I recall it took me forever to figure it out including how to change the title the first time (100 yrs ago) I am not terribly tecchie. Remedial version please.

76. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

The spreadsheet opened within 30 seconds for me, using Firefox, Time Warner Cable, and a WiFi connection to the cable system.

77. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Betty, I think you have to go to the actual video, re-copy the url and then edit your signature and re-paste the url back in again.

78. bettyandhank

bettyandhank Well-Known Member

I am on firefox, timewarner cable and desktop wired ATM.... hmmmm.
    Glad it opened quickly on your end. wonder what the deal is

really on the video? then I have to figure out how to rename it with code and all that then, right?
    I will probably need step by step instructions, aargh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.