FDMB Saved My Cat's Life

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by april_sd, Aug 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. april_sd

april_sd Member

When my cat, Maddy, was diagnosed with diabetes about a month ago, our vet instructed me how to give her insulin and educated me about identifying and treating hypoglycemia. Like many of you, I had so many more questions and was feeling completely overwhelmed. I was fortunate to find the FDMB while researching feline diabetes. For the past few weeks, I've been reading the threads on this main board and learning a great deal about diet, home testing, and dozing with Lantus. Elise, Deb, and KPassa were kind enough to help me with my home testing questions.

Over the past few days, I've been working to get Maddy on a low carb, wet food only diet and phasing out her dry food. Because of this forum, I was already home testing and knew that this diet shift could greatly lower her BG levels. Yesterday, my husband tested Maddy at +6 from her morning injection and her BG was 65. When I tested her for her PM injection, her BG was 89, and I knew not to give her the insulin. If I would have just followed my vet's advice and given her 2 units of Lantus every 12 hours with a little bit of wet food, Maddy certainly would have had a hypoglycemic incident last night and I would have been spending my weekend at the emergency vet or worse.

I just want to thank all the members of this community who tirelessly answer new member's questions with kindness and patience. As someone who has spend more time lurking than posting on this forum, it is important to recognize that you are not just helping an individual poster with a feeding, dozing, or diet problem, you are helping out all the people who are reading the thread and having the same problem.

My cat could have easy gone hypo. But because of the collective wisdom and generosity of the members of this community, I spent last night getting woken up to Maddy purring in my face and trying to take over more of the bed. cat_pet_icon

THANK YOU!

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Congratulate yourself, too. You took the time to read up on feline diabetes and educate yourself, then see how applying that worked for your cat. A lot of folks just blindly follow what the vet says.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.