Feb/8 Jake.....anybody use cerenia?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bo & Jake, Feb 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bo & Jake

Bo & Jake Well-Known Member

Good evening LL!
    Sorry not posting for a long time ! Older members may remember us. My DH is battling pancreatic cancer and rght now he is at chmo treatment
    and still around. Hope for better scan result on monday.
    My question is about CERENIA injection. Jake was sick,vomit and stop eating. Today he get cerenia and I wonder is at any side effect .
    I know it's for nausea but I don't see his appetite better.
    Oooo jeez,I'm stressed enough and don't need this .
    Wish everyone nice evening!

2. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Hi Bo,

I am sending prayers for your DH's recovery.

It is good to see you posting, but I am sorry to hear that Jake is not feeling well. What does the vet think is going on?

I have used Cerenia injections in my kitties. In my experience, it works well, but sometimes it has to be given more than once to start working. It can normally be given once daily for 3 - 5 days. I have not really seen bad side effects with it. It does sting when the injection goes in.

Another medication that is good for nausea is Ondansetron, which comes in a pill. If your vet thinks that this would be a good med to try, let me know before you buy some. Sometimes Pepcid AC is a good medication for a vomiting cat. Is Jake taking that? Did the vet give any fluids or do any tests?

After Jake starts to feel better, you can maybe ask about an appetite stimulant, but you shouldn't give that while he is still feeling sick. How many days has Jake gone without eating?

3. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Hi Bo :YMHUG: hugs for you, my friend.
    I'll keep your husband in my prayers. I hope Monday goes better than you expect.

I did search on the board for cerenia and found this http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=62328&p=674882&hilit=CERENIA#p674882
    It's from Karrie and she knows a lot about issues with not eating. You could try PMing her.
    I'm sorry, you're going through so much stress. I hope Jake with start feeling much better, real soon. More hugs!

4. Bo & Jake

Thanks Linda and Dyana for quick reply! Ooo,miss you guys.
    Linda- we visited defferent animal hospital because my vet didn't have room for Jake and he neded to stay at hosp (vomit,dehidration)
    One day $ 740.00. He was on AB Metronidazole for 6 days ,and now constipated, get anema today but not full, cerenia and she gave me one for tomorrow.
    Jake never had problem with eating .Hope he feels better tomorrow.
    Dyana,hope everything is OK with Your DBF! I do pic and check on Your cute boy and his sister. I realy don't have time (it's be going 15 months now since his surgery and life ups and down) .
    Thank for thinking about us!

5. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

We used Cerenia injections with Zener, once daily for 5 days after a bout of vomiting and then not eating. We had to syringe feed him during that time and the Cerenia was very helpful. Our vet told us there are some other benefits of Cerenia such as reducing discomfort from poor motility that they are just starting to learn about. By about day 3 of the Cerenia, he started eating bits on his own and was back completely eating on his own in about a week. We send a PM to Karrie and she was so incredibly helpful. Our vet sent us home with the syringes all drawn up and ready to go. She thought we could handle it since we did insulin injections. Our vet told us about ondansetron as an option too, but since Zener was having motility issues thought it best to use the cerenia rather than a pill. We also use pepcid with him for acid stomach and it was okay to do both.

6. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Hey Bo,
    I am glad to hear from you but wish for better news next update, OK?
    I am keeping you husband in my thoughts.

Now for our poor Jake.... what's up with our boy here! The vet stuff sure does cost us alot, so it's good if we can do some stuff on our own at home....

For Jake's dehydration, just get a kit from the vet and give Jake his fluids at home in his own comfy spot.... it's alot cheaper and way less stressful for our Jake! You can add Miralax to his food and add a bunch of water to the mix and it should help to keep him more regular. See if you can add 1/8tsp to each of his meals with lots of water... half water and half food. Then, you see he's a bit loose, give less miralax... if he's getting a bit too firm again, add a bit more. Don't forget to add lots of water to his foods because the Miralax pulls water from his body and make him more dehydrated.

I am glad you got more cerenia at home; you can also give Jake pepcid AC ... get the plain 10mg strength and cut the tab into 4 pieces - daily max is 5mg, so you can give him 1/4 tab am and pm. I was giving Shadoe pepcid BID for the longest time as she was always getting nauseous and pancreatitis. My vet had me start giving her B12 shots to deal with her inflammation and it worked... no more problems with nausea or pancreatitis.
    Sure hope the AB kicks in soon and you see some improvement for our guy.

Pats for Jake ... I hope he's feeling better soon.

7. Linda and Bear Man

(((Bo)))

I am sending lots of snowflakes to Jake.

When you give the Cerenia tomorrow - I assume it is the injection that you have - be prepared that Jake may react to the sting and pull away - so make sure you have a good hold on him.

If it looks like it is starting to help, maybe ask the vet for more for over the weekend.

(((Jake)))

8. Bo & Jake

Thank You Anne, It's so helpful!
    Gayle,nice to hear from You! You moved to Winnipeg? For how long? Thank You so much for good advice!
    Linda,Thanks again and all the best to You !
    I'll talk to vet tomorrow for more cerenia (she gave me only one today and another for tomorrow)
    Nite nite ,girls!

9. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

I want to send big hugs for you and your husband. I wish there was a cure for Cancer. It hits too many people we love.

Do you know why Jake was vomiting? He was constipated or is there another reason? How long has he been not eating?

Cerenia is good for vomit but not so much for overall nausea. Often cats will need a two pronged approach if they are nauseated. Signs of nausea include vomiting of course, but also lip licking, lip smacking, teeth grinding, and showing interest in food but when presented with food just licking or sniffing and walking away. Medications for Nausea are ondansetron - this is expensive but worth its weight in gold. When I bought it for Maverick I couldn't find it for any less than $9 a pill - a 4mg pill is Four 1mg doses. Dolasetron is another vet alternative. Can you try a different food - one that he wasn't eating when he felt sick? You don't want to cause food aversion - so you want nausea to be addressed. Pepcid is not a nausea medication unless the nausea is due to excess stomach acid. Metoclopromide/Reglan is also not an anti nausea medication unless the nausea is due to stomach motility issues - like vomiting food many hours after eating it. The stomach should clear quickly - within two hours. Reglan/Metocolopromide works on dogs for nausea but cats are biologically different and it doesn't work well on cats.

Mirilax is called Restoralax in Canada. Its cheap at walmart.

Are you assist feeding Jake via syringe? Or finger feeding him? There are lots of options

What ever you do, DO NOT go for an appetite stimulant without addressing nausea 100%. Assist feeding is always preferred to get cats through periods of inappetance - feeding a food you would not normally have him eat day to day. An appetite stimulant chemically forces them to eat, which can lead to long term food aversion. Like giving you an appetite stimulant while you have the flu.

10. Karrie and Maverick

Actually I wonder what your husband is being given for nausea after chemo? Ondansetron is used for this. I wonder if he has a prescription already.

Ondansetron - non dissolving though. 1mg twice a day.

It is in the vets plumbs guide.

11. Lydia & Sid & Jake(GA)

Lydia & Sid & Jake(GA) Well-Known Member

Sending lots of snowflakes and healing vines for Jake. I hope he feels better soon.

You've gotten really good advice from everyone - it is really important to address the nausea and not give an appetite stimulant. I give Sid pepcid (famotidine) and cerenia both in pill form but he has a good appetite when his glucose level is moderate and does not appear to have any nausea. He gets both of those pills to help with the leukeran (chemotherapy) he receives 2x per week.

12. Linda and Bear Man

Bo, I have Ondansetron left over from Teddy. Ask your vet if it is good for Jake. I can send some if the vet agrees.

13. Karrie and Maverick

14. Bo & Jake

Linda and Karrie,
    Yes,ondansetron is my DH using for nausea but only before chemo and 3 days after. (they do constapation so he needs laxative too)
    He has poor appetite and its chalenge to prepare food for him. Now I have 2 boys (but Jake is not that bad)
    I gave him pepcid last night and this morning.(Think that he is lil better)
    Thank you all and I wish You a nice day!

15. Linda and Bear Man

Bo, sent you a PM.

16. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Hi guys .. I sure do hope jake starts feeling better .. I don't have any advice about his meds, but wanted to tell you I'll keep you and your DH in my thoughts .. my uncle battled pancreatic cancer for two years .. I hope for excellent results for you on monday.

17. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

Hi, Bo!

Good to see you!

sending vines and healing energy for both DH and Jake.

celi & Binks

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.