Febreeze-can it be used around cats

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harley and Pattie, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harley and Pattie

Harley and Pattie Well-Known Member

Some time ago, there was a thing going around on the "net" that using febreeze was toxic to animals. Was that a myth or is it true?

I want to use it on my furniture - not the cat beds but my sofa and chairs.

Pattie

2. breayle and jake

breayle and jake Member

I have read about that, however I also heard that it was not toxic. According to Snopes.com they say it's an Urban Legend.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/febreze.asp

It's on the internet, so it must be true!!

There are all kinds of natural fabric refreshers so you wont have to worry... myself I always tend to steer away from synthetic chemicals... foods etc. Something along the lines of this might be better in the long run, IMHO :)

http://www.vitacost.com/Biokleen-Bac-Out-Fresh-Natural-Fabric-Refresher-Spray-Lemon-Thyme

Hope this helps!

Breayle and Jake

3. Harley and Pattie

Harley and Pattie Well-Known Member

Yes, that does help. I will try and find more natural stuff. That seems to be the best thing to do.

Pattie

4. Jean and Charcoal

Jean and Charcoal Well-Known Member

Well, I used Febreze one time ONLY and I, myself had a TERRIBLE ALLERGIC reaction to it and my throat swelled up inside. If something like that can affect me, I am not about to subject my cats or other humans to it.

Just my two cents.

Jean and Charcoal (GA)

5. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Any air freshener and such should not be used if you have pet birds. Birds have really sensitive rsepiratory systems and can easily die from short exposure.

Personally, I don't like Febreeze. The scents are too strong and irratating to me. My gerbil didn't like it either.

There are many homemade air fresheners you can make. Many use essential oils and alcohol of some sort (not sure if it's drinking alcohol or rubbing alcohol or what).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.