feed at 112?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Megaboo, Nov 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Megaboo

Megaboo Member

I have upped Kali's dose to 2 units (vet recommended) and am Curve testing him. He just read 112 BG.. should I feed him now or wait to see how low it goes?

Paigeworthy likes this.
  2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

He's dropping fast, just my opinion but I would feed him a little and test again. Make sure you have your hypo supplies ready and plenty of strips, be prepared. 68 on Alphatrak is take action number. @Kris & Teasel can you advise?
    Correction, take action on pet meter is 65

3. Megaboo

Megaboo Member

he just read 67 so I've givin him some food with honey

4. Idjit's mom

Go easy on the food, a tsp at a time, you don't want to fill him up in case you need to keep steering with food. When Idjit hit 64 I gave him a whole bunch of food with Karo..I lost my cotton picking head. He was fine and very full!

Megaboo likes this.
  5. Megaboo

Megaboo Member

ya, I'm keeping an eye on him.

6. Idjit's mom

If you have some medium carb or high carb food with gravy in your hypo kit, just press out some of the gravy and use that.
    My complete loss of composure during the event is laughable now, but I was pretty panicked. Idjit didn't have a clue why his mom was acting so weird but was loving the extra food.

Megaboo likes this.
  7. Idjit's mom

How is Kali doing?

8. Megaboo

Megaboo Member

I do have a lot of canned food that I bought in panic mode then realized It was still high carb. lol. I should've use it but didnt I fed him maybe a half a can of ff with a tsp of honey. he is now at 195.

JanetNJ likes this.
  9. Megaboo

Megaboo Member

Phew, that was close...:nailbiting:

10. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Good job steering him up!

Megaboo likes this.
  11. Megaboo

Megaboo Member

its a good thing I did this on the weekend. I think I should probably take it back down to 1.5??

12. Idjit's mom

Oh good, he is out of the woods. Having that food on hand is a good thing, if you ever need it you have it. The first time (hopefully the last) is nerve wracking. After (of course, after) Idjit's event, I printed out the hypo instructions and made a hypo toolkit box. He is in remission, hopefully forever, but I have the toolkit handy and the instructions at the ready. You did really well, pat yourself on the back!

13. Idjit's mom

Ask the peoples in the Vetsulin forum. They can advise best.

14. Megaboo

Megaboo Member

Thank you :) Thats great to hear Idjit is in remission and you've been through the same hard time with it. I've had it in my head (because of his numbers) that I wont get there with Kali but I feel better knowing that.

15. Idjit's mom

Sweetie, Idjit just fell into remission while we were chasing our tails! We were very fortunate to have found this board. My vet wasn't a lot of help, Rx 1 U 1 time a day (not correct), only test a couple of times a week, midday, Hill's M/D diet wet and dry (also not correct). We were shooting blind every morning. I shudder to think how ignorant we were and am forever grateful for the information and advice found here. We still didn't wean Idjit off the insulin like we should have, but so far so good.
    I absolutely wish for Kali to go OTJ. Keep reading, asking questions, and taking such good care of him.

Megaboo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.