Feedback or help needed - after 12/26/13

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mfrancis69, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

I have been posting now for about two months and after looking at my spreadsheet I have been told that Sassy's numbers are doing good and the possibility of remission could take place.
    My question is, what does that look like? If she were not diabetic what would her numbers be and how would I know that she is in remission.

My learning about her health and how to see the things that I am being taught has all been attributed to this forum.
    I have learned much more than my vet ever told me, but still feel like I am in the dark of the knowledge I should know to help Sassy best.

Wendy and Tiggy, you have helped me the most and posted a lot of helpful comments on Sassy and her numbers.
    One thing that confuses me is she will have a few days where her numbers are great but then her numbers will be higher that evening
    and the next day and they will stay that way for a few days and then her readings are really good again.

I know she is feeling better, she is more active and she fights me when I try and do her testing, as if to tell me to leave her ears alone.
    But she has transitioned into the whole process quite well and she actually comes when I call her at time for her testing.

A little more guidance on understanding the highs and lows of he numbers would be great, any feedback welcome.

Thanks
    Melissa and Sassy

2. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Re: Happy Holidays - feedback needed

You have some great looking numbers there! The longer Sassy spends time under 200 and in "normal" range (50-130), the more likely her pancreas has a chance to heal. If she is able to get into remission, then you're definitely on the right track. A good sign she's headed to remission is if you start having to drop her dose and she's able to hold the reduction. You might even be able to try a reduction now since she's been maintaining so well on this dose for so long. Eventually, her dose will drop to zero and that's when you start the 14-day OTJ Trail (Off The Juice Trial).

Some kitties might never go into remission; that's okay, too. Your numbers are really incredible either way. I wish I could get numbers like those for Mikey and he's been on insulin for over a year!

You're not having really disparate numbers, so it's doubtful Sassy is bouncing, at least not a lot. When you see her going higher on some days, what you're seeing is most likely just the fluctuations in the Lantus cycle, which might be due to the previous dose wearing off faster than the next dose kicks in (the "overlap" window is shorter so numbers have a chance to creep higher).

It could also be minute variations in the markings on the syringe, meaning you gave a slightly lower dose because the lines don't match up with the other syringes. This happens more often than you'd realize. Not a big deal for humans who take quite large doses, but can be very noticeable in our kitties who take much smaller doses so even a little bit of a discrepancy is reflected in their numbers. That's why some of us will dose with calipers to remove that possibility from the equation. It could even be caused by fluctuating levels of eating and/or the times she's eating at.

Either way, you're doing a great job with Sassy! :thumbup

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Remission happens when you follow a Lantus protocol and gradually have to lower the insulin dose because otherwise, the cat would go too low. "Ah! But what is too low?" you ask. They are noted below.

Here are some glucose reference ranges used for decision making using glucometers. Human glucometer numbers are given first. Numbers in parentheses are for non-US meters. Numbers in curly braces are estimates for an AlphaTrak.

[Glucose reference ranges are unsubstantiated and have been removed by Moderator]

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If I'm reading her spreadsheet correctly, you are not always testing and shooting 12 hours apart. That is crucial for Lantus. It carries over some from shot to shot and you want that carryover to be very stable. Too much overlap may result in unexpectedly low numbers (aka "crossing nadirs").

Also, whenever you can, you want to snag a test in the +5 to +7 hours after a shot. This is when the glucose level is likely to be at its lowest - the nadir of the 12 hour cycle between shots. With good control, you want it no lower than 50 mg/dL (see previous chart for mmol/L and AlphaTrac numbers). Some folks will set an alarm in the middle of the night to test around the nadir, as they work full time and can't test during the day. Others will test on weekends or days off. Whatever you can manage helps your kitty.

Have you read any of the sticky notes in the Lantus Tight Regulation forumyet? You'll find them quite helpful in terms of how to handle and store the Lantus to maximize its use, when and how to adjust the dose, and, if you want to post in the Tight Regulation forum, how they do their daily posts.

5. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

Thanks for all the input so far, I always get very valuable information on the forum.
    As I mentioned before, I didn't receive any of this guidance from the vet at all, they just wanted me to continue to come in and pay the fees and re-test frequently.
    That would have cost me a fortune.

I will be doing more mid cycle testing and I have always tried to stay as close to the 12 hour time frame as possible.
    There are times when I am not home and I may stretch that a little, but that is why I post my times in my notes area so that I can keep track of when she has had the shots.

I appreciate the feedback very much,I learn something new on here all the time. KPassa, your feedback was most helpful.

The chart that you posted BJM, I have seen it posted for me before and maybe because the vet didn't explain anything to me about what to look for and how to handle her day to day etc, the chart is like reading greek to me.
    Being new to the forum, I will have to dig into the terms and familiarize myself better.

Thanks again
    Hope everyone has a Happy Holiday this year.
    Melissa

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

How to use the glucose reference values chart:

When you get a test, look for the number on the chart that either equals, or contains, the test value you have. Read the information. As needed, make a decision and act.

Ex. You are a new insulin user and you test your cat before giving insulin. The test is 300. It probably is safe to give insulin.

Ex. You are an established user of Lantus, following the Tight Regulation protocol. You've tested around +5 to +7 to spot the nadir. It is 200 mg/dL. You probably need to increase the dose, following the instructions for the protocol.

Ex. Your cat is acting funny. The eyes are a bit dilated. You are concerned and test the glucose. The number is 35 mg/dL. ACK! The cat may be in a hypoglycemic state. You quickly follow the HYPO protocol linked in the glucose reference values chart. (which we really, really, suggest you print out and post on your refrigerator.)

7. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Yes, this is another reason for home testing. With a human glucometer with inexpensive test strips like the Relion Prime of the Relion Micro or Confirm, you can do the testing at home for much, much less than at the vets. Also, the home testing is much less stressful on your cat and gives you more accurate numbers without that "vet stress" influence.

8. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

She does have good numbers - but not quite good enough - as far as we can tell. We really need to see if she is going under 50 and you are missing some night data. But the testing you have been doing the last few days is very useful.

I usually recommend 3-4 tests a day

- always before the shots
    - mid cycle - This is to see how low she is going. The low point "nadir" is what you base dose changes on - we are trying to see if she is going under 50.
    - before bed (2-3hours after Pm shot) to get an idea of what her overnight plans are. If this number is less than the pre shot test number you may want to set the alarm for a test a few hours later as this implies an active cycle.

I would definitely get mid cycle tests if her pre shot test is green. If we catch her going under 50 we drop the dose - which is a step toward remission.

Wendy

9. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

All of this is very helpful.

Because of the lack of information given to me from the vet, I definitely decided this was something I needed to learn and take care of myself.
    I don't need a vet to test her blood every week or two to tell me what is going on, especially at about $200 per visit.
    This forum has taught me so much and I know I have a lot more to learn.

I did a curve on her the other day and I believe her number are a little higher than usual because it was the end of a insulin vial.
    I will continue to test and do another curve in a week or two to see where she is with the new vial.

I appreciate all your input and feedback.

Happy Holidays to you all.
    Melissa

10. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Melissa,
    When I start fresh insulin, I'm always a little careful, just in case the old insulin was starting to give out and the new insulin gives an extra bit of push on the numbers. KWIM? I would test a couple of extra times when starting that new vial.

11. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

Hope all of you have had a Happy Holidays with family and friends.

I need a little advice, Sassy's pre-shot number this morning was 48, I know that it a good number, but what I don't know is "Do I still give her a shot or do I wait, or what should I be doing?"

The vet didn't tell me how to read the tests and how to treat them, I have learned most everything I know so far from the forum only.
    All the advice and guidance I get has been extremely helpful, but I know I still have a lot to learn.

Please let me know what I should do when this takes place, I don't want her to have too much but I don't want to deprive her if she is still in need of the insulin.

Thanks
    Melissa

12. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

No shot.

Stall - Wait 30 minutes without feeding and re-test. If still too low don't shoot.

Unless and until you have test data showing that you can "shoot low to stay low", don't.

Also, that pre-shot warrants a reduction of 0.25 units (eyeballed, since syringes don't mark that precisely).

It will be higher this evening. That's normal.

Please read the Tight Regulation Protocol for Lantus, then come back and ask questions. In fact, you might print it out and give a copy to your vet, who may be unfamiliar with it.

13. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

Ok, I probably should have asked the question before I took action, so I gave the shot anyway.

Now the question is what do I do now. Should I monitor her more closely today, I haven't fed her yet, But I gave her the usual shot of 1.5 units.
    I have never had a good number like this on a pre-shot yet, so I didn't know what to do and her numbers have been good the last two days.

Thanks BJM for your quick response.

14. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Feed her now! You have shot dangerously low with no data!

Have you got high carb gravied food on hand?
    Have you got Karo syrup, honey, molasses or the like?

15. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

Yes, I have Friskies Pate and I do have something sweet I can give her.

When should I test her next? right after she eats or within an hour or so?

Thank you
    Melissa

16. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Retest now. If she is below 50 mg/dL, feed her 1-2 teaspoons of high carb gravy or mix some syrup in with some canned food and feed that.

Lowest levels hit around +5 to +7 hours after the shot.

Start feeding her now. You have set her up for a possible hypoglycemic episode which could kill her.

I've posted a 911 in Lantus to get some experienced eyes over here as I'm at work.

17. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

Ok, I fed her and she ate more than half of what I gave her which is normal . I couldn't get her to have any of the Karo syrup though, any secrest on how to get then to eat that?

I will test her right now as well. Her number right now is 84, so I think things will be ok.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Melissa

18. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Lantus builds slowly and last a long time.

Check again at +2 hours after the shot; this is when it may start dropping. If she is below 100, I would keep testing about every 30 minutes. Do you have enough test strips?

Watch her like a hawk between +5 to +7 hours after the shot, when she is likely to be lowest and continue testing

Remain vigilant - here's what to watch for:

SYMPTOMS
    Some cats may have NO symptoms whatsoever, but here are the most common ones:

MILD HYPOGLYCEMIA
    Sudden ravenous hunger
    Shivering
    Weak or lethargic

MODERATE HYPOGLYCEMIA
    Disorientation
    Trouble with vision... bumps into furniture
    Poor coordination, such as staggering, walking in circles or acting drunk
    Changes in head or neck movements
    Restlessness
    Urgent meowing
    Behavioral changes, such as aggressiveness

SEVERE HYPOGLYCEMIA
    Convulsions or seizures
    Unconsciousness

TREATMENT

During treatment for hypoglycemia, try to test every 15 minutes until you see the bgs begin to rise. Then continue to test until you are satisfied that the cat is out of danger.

VERY LOW NUMBERS – WITHOUT SYMPTOMS
    Retest glucose using a large blood sample to make certain you have enough blood, and if you still get a very low number (under 40 mg/dL or 1.9 – 2.2 mmol/L) administer a tablespoon of corn syrup, liquid glucose, pancake syrup or honey, or INSTA-GLUCOSE and follow with food until the blood glucose numbers rise to acceptable levels. The syrup can be mixed with wet food or poured over dry if the cat will eat the mixture. If using liquid glucose, dilute with water for a thinner consistency.

LOW NUMBERS – WITHOUT SYMPTOMS
    Retest glucose using a large blood sample to make certain you have enough blood, and if you still get a low number (40 – 60mg/dL or 2.2 – 3.3mmol/L) give food or treats until the blood glucose numbers rise to an acceptable level. If the cat refuses to eat even his/her favorite foods, you can syringe feed or administer a small amount of syrup.

LOW NUMBERS – MILD SYMPTOMS
    Try feeding first or give a little syrup or honey followed by food until the blood glucose numbers rise to an acceptable level and the symptoms disappear. The syrup can be mixed with wet food or poured over dry if the cat will eat the mixture. If the cat will not eat, syringe feed. If your cat will eat dry, feed this first as the high carbs will help to increase his/her bgs quickly. You can then follow with his/her favorite canned food. Keep in mind that giving syrup (Karo, etc.) or honey is not enough because the effects wear off quickly. You need to follow with food.
    IF IN ANY DOUBT, TELEPHONE YOUR VETERINARIAN.

LOW NUMBERS – MODERATE SYMPTOMS
    Give a tablespoon of syrup, a teaspoon of liquid glucose, a tablespoon of honey or a tablespoon of sugar syrup followed by food and continue doing so until you see the blood glucose numbers rise to an acceptable level and all symptoms disappear. The syrup, honey, or glucose can be rubbed against the inside of the cat’s cheeks or on the gums for quick absorption. You can also mix the syrup with wet food or pour over dry if the cat will eat it. Continue to give syrup and food as needed and observe your cat for signs of recurring hypoglycemia. Keep in mind that giving syrup (Karo, etc.) or honey is not enough because the effects wear off quickly. You need to follow with food.
    IF IN ANY DOUBT, TELEPHONE YOUR VETERINARIAN.

LOW NUMBERS – SEVERE SYMPTOMS
    Rub syrup, honey, or glucose on the gums and cheeks if your cat will allow it. Another option for administering syrup, diluted liquid glucose, honey or sugar syrup to a cat who is seizuring is to fill a needleless syringe with the mixture and insert via the rectum.
    NEVER TRY TO SQUIRT SYRUP, HONEY, OR GLUCOSE TO A CAT WHO IS SEIZURING AS THE CAT COULD CHOKE ON IT! RUSH TO EMERGENCY.

AGAIN! ANYTIME YOU CAT IS SEIZURING OR LIMP, RUB KARO, GLUCOSE OR HONEY ONLY ON GUMS OR ADMINISTER RECTALLY AND GET TO EMERGENCY OR YOUR NEAREST CLINIC IMMEDIATELY!!!

Remember that syrup or any other sugared syrup/preparation will spike the blood glucose ONLY for a short period of time, so food is really important with mild and moderate symptoms. Dry food (high carbohydrates) will keep the blood glucose numbers elevated longer, so it’s a better food to give during a hypoglycemic episode.

After a hypoglycemic episode cats may be more sensitive to insulin, so a reduction in dosage is generally required, especially considering too much insulin – whether due to dosage, inadequate food intake, or the cat’s changing insulin requirements – caused the hypoglycemic event in the first place. With moderate to severe episodes, your Vet may have you skip the next injection altogether.
    IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU DISCUSS YOUR CAT’S HYPOGLYCEMIC EVENT WITH YOUR VET, SO TOGETHER YOU CAN DECIDE UPON THE NEXT COURSE OF ACTION.

Always keep in mind that with low blood glucose and no symptoms, the BG you get is not as important as where it is headed. In other words, if you get a BG of 100 mg/dL or 5.6 mmol/L or less and there are still several hours or more before the insulin peaks, your need to watch your cat (and the numbers) carefully and take appropriate steps. With very low numbers and NO SYMPTOMS, a cat can be fine one moment and seizuring the next.

BE PREPARED! KNOW THE SYMPTOMS AND KNOW THE TREATMENT!

Copyright © 1998-2010

Last edited by Rebecca, Webmaster on February 9th, 2011, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: removed broken link

Melissa & Popcorn (GA) & Sushi (GA)
    Joined the FDMB: February 25, 1998

19. Kim & Twice

Kim & Twice Well-Known Member

Hi Melissa

You could be seeing a food spike, and her number could drop again before you know it. DO NOT become complacent. Fingers crossed everything will be fine, but don't quit testing!
    Please recheck within half an hour of her last feeding

20. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

Ok, thanks I will keep a very close eye on her today and test her again in another hour, and then every two hours after that throughout the day.

I should have asked the question before giving the shot but now I know, and I hope things will be fine.

I appreciate your quick response and concern for her.

Thanks again
    Melissa

21. Kim & Twice

When we have a kitty below 50, we try to just feed the gravy portions of a can of HC. This way kitty wont fill up on the solid food, and will keep eating if we need to keep bumping up the bg.
    As for feeding the karo, mix a couple of drops into the gravy. If no luck that way, rub it directly on the gums

22. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Have you got an oral syringe? That is how we sometimes give Karo or other syrup when needed. They're handy for some meds, too.

You don't need it just yet.

If she gets back down to 50 mg/dL, its going to be
    this pattern:
    test
    feed 1-2 teaspoons of high carb
    wait 30 min

and repeat until the numbers are safe.

23. Kim & Twice

Im going to stay with you Melissa, so please post your readings for me :smile:

24. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

What would safe numbers be, what am I looking for to know she is out of the woods?

25. Kim & Twice

Safe is above 50, and after the kitty reaches nadir. But, when giving food, lc, mc, hc or syrup it raises this number briefly. This is good for safety, but NOT safe...until they are doing it on their own without the help of carbs. Does that make sense

26. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Put a small amount of the Karo syrup on your finger, open up kitty's mouth, and rub on the gums. It'll absorb into the blood stream. You want to try and bring the #s up safely, and steadily. Also, give a small amount of the gravy from a MC or HC food (ie. Friskie's Chicken in Gravy) will help.

27. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Are you close to the +2 time to get another test?

28. Kim & Twice

What Angela suggested is perfect when we are bumping the numbers. And you may still need to do this, but lets see what that half hour test gives us

29. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Or are you close to the +1.5 time to get a test, and then get another test at +2?

30. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

She's in California and shot about 9ish (?) her time (3 hours behind Ohio).

31. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

I am not sure if I can get her to eat more food right now, she has always eaten very independently.
    Is there anything else I can give her to give her high carbs other than the food that might entice her to eat more?

I don't have an oral syringe, should I try a little Karo on the gums now or wait a little longer?

Right now I am at an hour and a half after the shot, I tested her last a half an hour ago.

32. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

She's 2 hours behind me (Texas). As long as she can get a test 1/2 hour after her +1 that she got and marked on her SS, and then another 1/2 hour after that (+2) and then probably more afterwards, that would be ideal.

33. Kim & Twice

Don't give her anything just yet. Let's get another test since it's been 30 min from the 84

34. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Go ahead and test her again, please. You may see a spike due to the food that she was given. You don't want to give her anything at this point unless she starts dropping.

35. Kim & Twice

Please post the result right away too Melissa.

36. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

I am in California and that is about 3 hours from the Ohio time, my first test was at 9:30 my time and then again at 10:30 my time, it is now 11:00 am here.

Ok, I am testing her again now.
    Her number right now is 107.

37. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Also, in Sassy's spread sheet, type the +1.5 # in the same box as the +1 #. What you'll want to do is type the first test # first, then add +1 (for example: 84 +1 (space) 84 +1.5). It'll list both #s and test times (+1 and +1.5) in the same box. Hopefully that doesn't sound too confusing, and I apologize if it does.

38. Kim & Twice

She's looking good. On a steady climb. I would hold off feeding her, and personally if she was my kitty I would grab one more test in a half hour to make sure it is a climb. If she is still going up or surfing around that number, you could do the following tests an hour apart until nadir. We have seen some kitties decide to dive again towards nadir, when they were so low early in their cycle.

39. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Ok, definitely no need to feed her right now. I suggest retesting her 1/2 hour again to be sure that she is rising instead of falling.

40. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Only 5 more hours of monitoring to go...

This may turn out to be a non-event, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

41. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

One other thing... Don't be alarmed if her #s are a bit wonky tomorrow. It's simply due to today's episode, and will clear up within a day or so. It's called a bounce, and we all deal with them. :D

42. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

You're doing a wonderful job. :D

43. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

Ok, I can keep an eye on her for another 5 hours.

I will test again in another 1/2 hour, but then should I change to every hour?

44. Kim & Twice

Perfect. Retest and post for the half hour. Then if she's still going up or surfing, you can switch to the hour. If you feel more comfortable doing another one in the half tho it is up to you. I wouldn't wait longer than an hour tho.
    And yes, you are doing a brilliant job! Hopefully she stays up and this is all just 'practice' for you ;-)

45. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

You can test each hour after this next test, if you'd like. I think her next test in less than 1/2 hour will tell you that she'll be rising some more, though, due to the food. Since you'll be home, you can keep an eye on her.

46. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

Ok, I just tested again and her number is 78.

She is acting her normal self, after her food and morning shot she sleeps for quite awhile and that is what she is doing now.

What do you suggest I do, since her numbers are starting to go down again instead of up?

47. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

I suggest getting another test 1/2 hour from the last one, then we'll go from there. You may need to feed her more HC food and/or a small dab of syrup on her gums. Her next # will tell us.

48. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

Ok, I will test again in a half an hour

49. Kim & Twice

I would test again in half hour. Yes they are going down, but not crashing. You could offer her a small amount (tsp) of lc whatever you normally give, to help her surf. Don't give too much yet tho. Just keep an eye on her that she continues to act normal. When you get your next test please post it in your top (1st) post line of this condo.

50. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Hi, Melissa. It sounds like you're having an "exciting" cycle -- or Sassy is.

The instructions we use for handling low numbers are in the link. They will guide you as to when you can shift to testing every hour. For now, you really need to be testing Sassy every 30 min. That first test most likely reflected a food spike. Since the numbers dropped, that's probably where Lantus onset began and number may continue to drop. In this scenario, it's best to remain vigilant rather than get caught off guard with Sassy sitting in very low numbers.

51. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

Kim, I have never had to give her anything to help her "surf", there have been suggestions on giving her Karo but I don't think I can get her to take it in the quantities suggested.
    She like milk as a treat but it is a rare treat when she gets some, if I can mix the Karo into a small helping of milk and get her to drink it do you think that would work?

I am not sure what you mean by posting at the top can you explain?

52. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

That could still be from food, but you can breath a little easier. If you are giving karo or honey it will boost the number up quickly , but also wear off quickly, 1 or 2 hours. Then you could see another drop so you need to keep testing. She could have gotten a little of the karo you gave her. We only give a drop or two. HC food will keep the numbers up longer. What we want to see are tests that stay up for an hour or two with no additional carbs given. Once past nadir things should start to rise, but that isn't a guarantee. Nadirs can shift.

53. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

I just tested again and her number is 73, I haven't given her more food or any Karo as of yet.
    Based on suggestions given.

I will be continuing to test and monitor closely, is there anything else I an give her for the HC than the food, she eats when she wants and after her morning feeding I don't think I can get her to eat more right now.

54. Ann & Tess GA

How much Karo are you trying to give her? Usually it is only a drop or two. You will get to know how she reacts. I give Tess one drop of honey and it usually takes her up 20 points and lasts 2 hours. She doesn't notice any difference in taste. Yes you can put it in milk too. Mosts cats love milk but can't digest it properly, but you can use Lactaid Milk for lactose intolerent people. The same company makes CatSip, the only difference is that CatSip has extra taurine added and costs a whole lot more. I freeze it as ice cubes and thaw in the microwave when needed.

55. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

Ann, I haven't given her any Karo yet. The suggestions posted this morning stated 1 to 2 tsp of Karo, but that was right after a shot was given when it wasn't needed at all.

I only give her a little milk when she gets it and has never had any problems with it, maybe not quite a 1/4 cup of milk, it is strictly a once or twice a year treat.

56. Kim & Twice

If or when Karo is needed, we generally give a couple drops, but you're right...the suggested measurements seem to be way too much. This would be for a critically low situation in which you are also rushing to a vet.
    She continues to look good.
    Surfing just means to try and keep the numbers in the same area (color), and is sometimes guided with food. We like to stop or slow down a bounce if able to, and also keep the numbers safe at the same time. It's a lot of info, and don't worry...for now we will just advise you what you can do.
    You're doing a super job. No need for syrup or hc right now. She is handling this like a pro. Keep testing and posting.
    Sorry I was late. Kept hitting refresh and missed the second page. I am still with you :D

57. Ann & Tess GA

The 1 - 2 teaspoons was for the gravy, not the Karo. That's just a couple of drops. Kim is right, not needed now, but for future reference.

58. Kim & Twice

HC food is most of the stuff you find with 'gravy' in it. When you have time, check Dr. Lisa's food charts for carb listings. You definitely want several cans of this in your hypo kit, along with the syrup :smile: We try to feed just the gravy part when the numbers are under 50, because this won't fill them up like solid food will. The karo is an extra punch, but does wear off very quickly.
    Please do read and copy off the stickies for handling low numbers. And as soon as you see them, post with a 911 icon. There is always someone watching, and we will do everything we can to help. But first and foremost, you want to arm yourself with some background info.
    There is a ton to know...but I promise, it comes! :D

59. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

Thanks Kim,
    I just did another test on her and will do another one in another 1/2 hour.

Her number right now is 57, she got up just before I tested her and ate a little more food on her own.
    So I will see if that helps bring the numbers back up again a little.

I will try and get her to have a little milk with some Karo in it and see if that helps as well.
    Any other suggestions, I am completely open too.

Thanks
    Melissa

60. Kim & Twice

I wouldn't do the karo yet, and the milk might set her tummy off. Wait...do you have hc food??

61. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

I am also getting lost in the posts, and my refresh doesn't seems to be helping at times.
    Should I start another post and start fresh from this point?

62. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

I give her Friskies Pate, she seems to like the ones with the cheese in it best, but that is all I have for her.

63. Kim & Twice

The cheese ones I believe are higher carb. Let's pick that up for now so we can control when she eats. If she just ate 1-2 Tbls, she should be ok for a bit. I'm going to go look at the foods list and see what carb amount the cheese varieties have.
    Better retest at the half hour since she is dropping. We just want to stay on top of it so she doesn't get too low again. Kitties like to mess with the beans :roll: :lol:
    Isn't this a FUN way to spend Boxing day!? :lol: :lol:

64. Kim & Twice

Looks like the cheese ones have around 20% carbs and the classic pates are about half that. Do you have the cheese ones there or the classic pates?

65. Kim & Twice

I would stay with this post for now as it has all the info of the day. Others will be coming to read this one as everytime we post to it, it bounces to the top of the list.
    I assumed earlier that you had an hc food. I looked back and don't see now why I assumed that. So if you are more comfortable giving a little milk (2Tbls) with a couple drops of karo, I say go for it. Just remember that the test number you get after will be reflecting that syrup. So we may be doing the pokie pokie for a couple hours more ;-)
    How many hours ago now was the shot?

66. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

Kim, I have a little of both but she got the Chicken and Tuna Classic Pate this morning.

I have taken up for food for now and she is due for another 1/2 hour test, lets see what they are now.
    Her number right now is 82, she seems pretty intuitive to her diabetic needs,when it is time to test she comes out to find me.
    She ate a little food and it must have been what she needed because she doesn't eat in the afternoon usually.

I will continue to test but at least her number are rising again.
    I thought I had HC food as well, I switched her to what I give her now because of forum suggestions.
    She was on Fancy Feast before before she seems to like the Friskies better.

My time is just after 1:00 pm, she was given the first shot at 9:30 am my time.

Melissa

67. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

The posts are not staying at the top, how do I keep the most recent at the top so that new ones are easier to see.

I thought I had it figured out but it is not working now.

68. Kim & Twice

Wonderful. I just checked out her spreadsheet and It looks like this food is really agreeing with her (I'm struggling a bit today, new laptop and operating system :? )
    Good to see the numbers on the rise again. Thanks to the food and you're wonderful care.
    You and I will just hang out here for a while longer, since she is still really early in her cycle. At the next test, if her numbers are about the same or higher, we will not feed. If they are dropping, we'll give her another tablespoon or 2 of her food. Like you said, she knows what she needs, and that will help us to help her.
    Please continue to post her #'s and any questions you may have :smile:
    The posts in the condo don't stay at the top. It's ok, everyone else will scroll through to find them. If you stay on your page 2 and hit refresh, the new posts will be at the bottom of the page.

69. Kim & Twice

I never was able to get an easier way figured out :?

70. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If you mean the posts within the thread, look at the bottom of the page. There is an option to sort the order of the posts.

It is normally set to ascending; click on that and change it to descending and when you go to the top of the page, the most recent post will be there.

Looks like she's hanging in there. Thanks everyone for coming over to monitor.

Summary:
    AMPS ~ 48
    +1.0 ~ 84
    +1.5 ~ 107
    +2.0 ~ 78
    +2.5 ~ 73
    +3.0 ~ 57
    +3.5 ~ 82
    +4.0 ~ 84

71. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

Ok, I just did another test and between her eating a little about an hour ago and then giving her a little milk with Karo the number has come up.

She didn't drink a lot of it but she did have some, her number right now is 119.
    I will still monitor her as I know the Karo has something to do with that.

Thanks for all your help, it is greatly appreciated and I might have lost it if I didn't have all of your support today.

72. Kim & Twice

Looks great :D

73. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

About 3 hours to go; hang in there.

74. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

try NOT to give her milk now - you don't want her to get sick on it and then not eat anything.

do you have anyone who can go to the store and buy you a couple cans of fancy feast - GRAVY LOVERS VARIETY - any flavor that she likes

then you can easily get teaspoons of gravy from this and give to her.

75. Hillary & Maui (GA)

realize I'm jumping in a bit late in the day, but just saw the 911 on Lantus Land.

my reason for saying don't give her milk, is mixing sugar and milk could make her sick (vomit) and you don't want her doing that, cause it can drop the bg quickly

the gravy lover variety of fancy feast is a great high carb food that is perfect for hypo situations - becuase you can feed the gravy and not the food pieces to keep her from getting too full and not wanting to eat anymore food.

One thing you may see is that she is feeling great and doing great, because she has these lower numbers and is getting lots of attention and treats and while that is all good - don't let the behavior make you complacent or fool you that you are out of the woods just yet.

I realize it hasn't been mentioned yet, but BEFORE you give her next shot - depending on how this cycle works out, you may want to skip the next shot as the safest thing to do. We won't know until closer to shot time - but don't get needle happy - ok - better to skip and keep her safe then give it when she is too low.

and when you do give her next shot, please reduce it by 0.25 - so if you shot 1.5 this morning, you will shoot 1.25 next time.....

76. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

Ok, it has been a full our since the last test and she seems to be doing well.

Just did another test and her number is 110, I plan on holding off for another hour until the next test.
    I know the Karo and milk have helped the numbers come up so I will still monitor her closely,
    but her demeanor is normal and she is still fighting me when I go to test by trying to push my hand away and that is normal for her as well.

So far so good, the next two hours will tell.

77. Hillary & Maui (GA)

ok - doing good - still got a bit more time to go, but looking good and kept the hypo at bay...yay!

you are doing great! nothing like trial by fire eh....

78. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

Hilary, you aren't kidding, trial by fire, learning on the fly and crash course all rolled into one.

Another hour has passed and I just tested gain, her number right now is 77.

I will check her again in another hour as well.

79. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You're at about +6, so levels should start to rise as the Lantus wears off. Maybe can stick with normal low carb food from this point.

80. Kim & Twice

Up and over the hump...whew!

81. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

At least you got to do this during the daytime.
    I did this with Spitzer overnight! (And I have a sleep disorder!)

82. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

Ok, not sure what to do now.

I am at +7 and her number just dropped again and now she is back down to 54 from 77 an hour ago.

Any suggestions?

83. terri1962

terri1962 Well-Known Member

Melissa

I have no experience in dealing with dropping numbers but have asked for help again from the Lantus users, so hopefully someone will come over. If she keeps dropping maybe some more Karo?

Terri

84. Jamie & Jupiter

Jamie & Jupiter Well-Known Member

I would retest in 20-30 minutes from last test. If she keeps dropping you can give her some HC food or Karo.

I will stay here with you so please post as soon as you do the next test.

85. Jamie & Jupiter

When is the last time you fed her?

I think it would be about time for another test so please test and post as soon as possible. Thanks!

86. Hillary & Maui (GA)

any update? how is she doing

87. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

Ok, I was worried there for a little bit but I think we are finally out of the woods for sure.

She went from 77 to 55 two hours ago, but just did another test on her and she is at 103.

I think I can finally breathe and stop worrying.

I won't test again until later tonight before her next shot, I think I have stuck her enough today.

88. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Nows a good time to review the earlier post this morning on signs and symptoms of hypoglycemia.

89. Hillary & Maui (GA)

ok you are out of the woods when you get three consecutive tests with rising numbers.

take a break, give yourself a treat and be sure to treat her and you are doing really well.

please check in before shooting insulin tonight - let's make sure it's safe to shoot and if you don't get a quick enough response, please go to the lantus forum and ask -

if you post on this thread, I've flagged it, so I will get an email notification and will be able to respond - how many hours until PM shot time for you... as it's 10 pm et for me right now....

90. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

I don't test again for about 2 1/2 hours, that will be 9:30 pm my time.

I will definitely be testing before a shot.

91. Jamie & Jupiter

You are doing a great job!!! Please just post her BG before giving an insulin shot. We just want to make sure she is safe!!! Good job today!!

92. Kim & Twice

Well done today Melissa!
    Hope you are treating yourself after all that hard work!

93. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

Ok, final test for the evening, her number is 68.

I would assume through all I have learned today that I would not give her the shot.
    Am I correct in that assumption?

If I don't give her the shot then do I skip it for the night or should I test a little later before going to bed?

94. Jamie & Jupiter

With such low numbers all day and such a low preshot number.... I would skip tonights shot.

I am going to post in the lantus forum in hopes of getting some other experienced members to give their opinion.... on wether or not you need to test more tonight. I think they will agree to skip the shot tonight.

Also before giving a shot tomorrow morning, please test and post the number. If a low preshot number you may want to skip or reduce... you can post here for advice

You did a great job today!!!

95. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I'm hopping over from the Lantus ISG. Personally, I'd skip the shot tonight and see what she does.

Lantus is a depot insulin and she likely has a pretty full depot. I don't think you want a night like the day you had. You can shoot a reduced dose but her cycle will likely be the same as if you shot a full dose. Other then today, you don't have much data.

In the morning, you will want to reduce her dose by 0.25u to 1.25u unless she is still under 120. If she's under 120, I'd post and ask for help before shooting.

Any questions? What a day you had! Good job. :D

96. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

Thank you to all the people who have stood by me today and helped me through this, it has been very stressful and exhausting.

I will skip the shot for the night and start fresh tomorrow, and I will definitely post her number before giving her her shot or food.

Thanks again, good night all !!!

97. Marje and Gracie

Melissa

Please be sure you test her tonight and make sure she is coming up before you go to bed. The depot can affect up to six subsequent cycles and so she might still throw you some mid green numbers tonight. She won't have a "fresh shot" for this cycle but she could still run a little lower.

98. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Good Morning Melissa

We suggest new insulin users not shoot if the pre-shot test is below 200 mg/dL.

If his pre-shot is over 200 mg/dL, it may be safe to shoot the reduced dose of 1.25 units. (I'd almost be inclined to drop him down to 1 unit, given how low he was yesterday and the battle you had to keep his numbers up.)

Here is a calculation to estimate a starting dose:
    How much does he weigh and how much should he weigh?
    Take the lower weight and convert it to kilos (divide pounds by 2.2)
    Multiply by 0.25.
    Round down to the nearest quarter unit.

How does that compare with what you were told to give him?

99. Marje and Gracie

I would not drop her dose down below 1.25u yet; she did fine and didn't earn a reduction. We reduce when we are working hard to keep them above 50 (for a newly diagnosed cat). I felt Sassys numbers stayed pretty level for you having shot a 48 with 1.5u. Even us most experienced members don't shoot below 50. :D

I also don't think you should skip if she's below 200. You've been shooting some fairly lower numbers for a new member. I'd likely draw the line at 100 for someone who has shot as many lower numbers as you already have.

What I do strongly urge you to do is to test! If you are going to shoot down to 100, you must test to see what she is doing and keep her safe. If you can't, then I'd raise the no shoot number or you can even move over to the Lantus ISG forum where we have a lot of members working and shooting lower numbers. There are more eyes to help you but we ask for a minimum of a morning and evening PS, a mid cycle in the a.m. and a before bed in the p.m. If you work, we can also help you figure out how to test around your schedule.

Ideally, if you don't work and you want to keep shooting down to 100, we recommend you get a +2 test and that will give you an idea of how active the cycle might be. If her +2 BG is similar to her PS, it's likely to be an active cycle. If it's much less than her PS, she might drop early so you need to be on your toes.

100. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

Good morning everyone!!!

Another day, hopefully a better one than the last.
    I just tested Sassy for the morning, and no I haven't fed her or given a shot before posting this number.

Her number this morning even without a shot last night is 89.

Give me some guidance today on where to go from here, the low number are throwing me off, this is a first.
    Thanks
    Melissa

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.