Feedback or help needed - after 12/26/13

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mfrancis69, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

I would try 1.25 if you will be home to test? She earned a decrease so thats her new dose for now.

2. terri1962

terri1962 Well-Known Member

Melissa,

Would you consider going over to the Lantus forum and posting? I think you need immediate help on this matter? Do you know how to post over there?

Terri

3. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

I am having troubles with my internet this morning and nothing is refreshing, so I just got the two responses right now.

I haven't given her a shot as of yet, so the suggestion is reduce her dose to 1.25 even though her number is low?

I haven't posted on the Lantus help yet, I had this feed going yesterday, so that is why I posted to it again this morning.

4. terri1962

Yea I am not sure at 89 that I would give 1.25. but I am not expert, let me ask over on Lantus for some help.
    Otherwise you may have another day of stress.

Terri

5. terri1962

Melissa,

I have asked for help from the Lantus board. Go back and read what Marje told you basically not to shoot below 100, but wait to see if some of the Lantus people come over and advise. You can`t take the insulin out once you put it in.

Terri

6. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

It has been an hour since her first test this morning, she has had no shot and no food as of yet.

Waiting on a definitive answer before making any moves. Don't want a repeat of yesterday, went through test strips like crazy.

I am going to test again and see where she is right now. Her number right now is 64, and again that is without food or shot yet.

7. terri1962

I would not shoot at a 64, go ahead and feed her. She can`t go without food. Just hang out and wait a bit give her some food, wait to see if anybody comes over, do not give her a shot at this point.

Terri

8. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

Sounds good I will go ahead and give her her food and then maybe test again in another hour or so.

Thanks
    Melissa

9. Rachel & Chyna (GA)

Rachel & Chyna (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi there! I'm sorry, I'm not an expert either :sad: . But it looks like they recommended not shooting under 100...and I wouldn't give the shot with it falling still and no shot last night. I would feed her now, too, sounds like a good plan :D .

10. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

I agree - I wouldn't shoot this.

MJ

11. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

Ok, no shot, and she is eating right now as we speak.

I will test her again in the next hour and see where she is and post the number right away.

Thanks
    Melissa

12. Jamie & Jupiter

Jamie & Jupiter Well-Known Member

I think you did the right thing with no shot today. With such a low bg, it would probably be a hectic low cycle like yesterday. You are doing a wonderful job!

13. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Melissa:

I'm responding to Terri's asking for some help from the Lantus board.

At this point, I know you've been using Lantus for a while but you've just started getting spot checks in addition to your pre-shot tests. For someone who's brand new to FD and using Lantus, you want to have a fair amount of data before you start to shoot low numbers. Looking at Sassy's numbers for the past few days, I think you'd be safest to skip the shot this cycle. Tonight, once the depot will be drained a bit more, I'd encourage you to think about resuming shooting at a much lower dose. I'm thinking of a dose of 0.5u.

14. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

That's the depot for you - like the Ever Ready Bunny, it keeps going and going!

Is he eating, drinking, grooming, purring, playing, peeing, & poohing normally? If all looks well and the glucose is in normal ranges, waiting another shot cycle to let the depot drain is fine.

The depot is the Lantus under the skin where it was injected. It forms little crystals when injected and these slowly dissolve and are used.

15. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

ok, here is the latest.

She didn't eat a lot of her food and got sick but mostly liquid not chunks.

I just tested again and her number right now is 101.

I am sure she will eat a little more later, but her demeanor today is very active and alert unlike most days.

Any suggestions? I plan on testing her again in about 2 hours to see how her numbers are again.

16. terri1962

Melissa,

I would see how the day goes and that she is eating. I would do what Sienne suggested as she is one of the more experienced Lantus users. See how her numbers are later and if we have to we will ask for help again from the Lantus board, but Sienne suggested to reduce her dosage back to .5u. That is just one half a unit. But wait and see how things go.
    Hopefully she will eat and not be sick anymore today nailbite_smile

Terri

17. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Just monitor - if you get up over 130 mg/dL, you might need to shoot 0.5, but stop by and ask. Someone will be here.

Who knows - maybe her pancreas got enough of a jolt to start working a bit.

18. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

Ok, I am at +5 and her number has come down again.

Her number right now is 96, it doesn't appear that she has eaten more, but she hasn't gotten sick either.
    This is actually normal for her, some days she eats like crazy in the morning and other times just a little and then later in the afternoon she will nibble some more.

Not sure why her numbers are staying so low without a shot last night or this morning, but I can't say I am unhappy about that.

Melissa

19. terri1962

Melissa,

If she stays there, we will have to get advice. Her numbers are so low and I am just not sure what to do. Lets wait and see especially if she is not eating that much.

Terri

20. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

She actually got up and went to eat a little more after I tested her.

She gets a half of a an of Friskies Pate in the morning each day, and of course the other half at night.
    Right now she has eaten half of the half a can.

21. Jamie & Jupiter

How much does she weigh?

What do you think her ideal weight is? Is she skinny, good size, a little overweight, a lot overweight?

96 is a good normal number. She is okay to stay at 96 :D Just please do not give any insulin shots with her numbers this low, especially without posting for help first. We want to keep Sassy safe. You are doing a great job Melissa!

22. terri1962

Melissa

I wish you could get over on Lantus, I think Sassy could possibly go off insulin if you get her dose right. Jamie`s cat Jupiter went off insulin I think in August. Her numbers are looking really good.

Terri

23. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

Terri, I am not sure what you mean by get over on Lantus?

I just tested again and her number is 100 right now, she hasn't eaten more since my last post, but she seems in good spirits and active today.

Thanks Jamie, she has always been a little small, she was a runt, she weighs about 9 lbs.
    She has been fixed so she has the pouch under her belly, but she has always been about where she is, she had lost some weight before she was diagnosed but when she started insulin she gained it back.

24. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

what she means is that she would like you to start posting on the lantus forum - that is where the people who use it are and will be able to give you additional guidance, - there is always someone at the forum and you will get responses faster than on the health board - here is the link to that forum

viewforum.php?f=9

you can locate it yourself by scrolling to the top or bottom of any page, clicking on board index, scrolling to insulin support group, then clicking the lantus tight regulation link - here is the board index link index.php

for your reference - normal bg numbers without insulin is 40-120 - she is doing really well in the normal range for now.

25. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

I made the suggestion to start another post last night but all the people that were helping me yesterday said to stay here because all of that days information was there.

I can start another post on the Lantus forum no problem.
    I would have to give some background of the last 24 hours though for everyone to truly understand, but if that is what is best, let me know.

26. Jamie & Jupiter

just make sure to include a link to this post in the new condo that you post.

(this is the link : viewtopic.php?f=28&t=110405&p=1168522#p1168522 so you can copy and paste that into your new condo - and in lantus forum - we post a new condo each day and just link the previous days condo)

100 is a great BG! You will have to play it by ear.... I would not give any insulin shots with her numbers in normal range... especially without posting first.

And for future reference... if you ever have an emergency and need immediate help or guidance with lower numbers please go to the first post of your condo and edit the subject line and select the 911 icon. that way experienced members know you need help. Usually any number 50 or under... select the 911 so someone can keep an eye on the situation.

You are doing great!!

27. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

For those you that have been following me here today I have re-posted on the Lantus insulin support page.

Going forward I will be posting the rest of this to there instead of on both.

Thanks for all the support so far, it is much appreciated.
    Thanks Melissa

28. terri1962

Good luck to you Melissa and Sassy,

Terri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.