Feeding a 6lb cat with digestive problems

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SuziB, Jan 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuziB

SuziB Member

Hi!

I’m new here! I have spent the day reading EVERYTHING and my head is swimming and I feel like I have information overload. I’m sorry if this is a repetitive post, but all my facts are mixed up now... :/

My 7yr old, 6lb cat, Clarise (we call her Reece for short) has been free fed kibble her whole life. She was diagnosed about a week ago, at which time I bought (at the vet’s recommendation) Purina DM wet and dry. She loves the wet food, and I didn’t realize the dry wasn’t recommended by anyone here until after I bought it and transitioned her to it. Reece also has digestive issues (the reason I took her to the vet in the first place), so I’m very cautious with her foods.

As of today, I’m feeding her about 1/2 a can of DM wet/day, along with about 1/2 C of DM dry. I have purchased Fancy Feast classic pate, and would like to start transitioning off the DM.

My question is, how much wet food should she be eating? She was 7lbs, but lost a pound somewhere over the last few months. I would very much like for her to put back that pound, plus more. She was bony to begin with! I am trying to feed her 3 - 4 small meals/day, and haven’t started monitoring her BG (but I have bought supplies...baby steps!). I am giving her 1 unit of Vetsulin 2x/day, along with Metronidazole 2x/day mixed in her food (am/pm), and probiotics 1x/day mixed into her mid-day meal.

I’m sorry this is really long-winded. I guess I’m just not certain where my focus needs to be in the immediate: getting her to put some weight back on or being concerned that too much/too little food will mess with the insulin - especially because I’m going at it blind (not testing BG yet).

HELP! Please and thank-you

PS - I also bought some freeze dried salmon today and sat with her clicking the lancet pen by her ear, then giving her treats as a first step to work up to actually trying to get blood out of her ear :blush:

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Suzi and welcome to FDMB:)
    It is very overwhelming in the beginning but it does get much easier. And it is a steep learning curve in the beginning also, so just try and go with the flow. We have all been there and understand.
    It is great you have found this site and are looking to educate yourself about FD.

About the food. I would DEFINITELY NOT change it at the moment. You need to be testing the blood sugars before you start to change over to a low carb diet because the blood sugars can drop significantly once the dry is taken away. So you need to be testing so you can keep Reece safe, and adjust the Insulin dose as needed.
    So at the moment I would concentrate on getting the blood sugar testing up and running, ( this is a priority!) and getting your spreadsheet also up and running. I will post link to SS when I get to my iPad ... presently on my phone.
    Also if you could set up your signature which you will find under your username. Tell us yours and kitty’s names. Date of diagnosis, weigh, health issues, meds, insulin, type of glucose monitor. Then press save. This will then appear below your posts every time you post and it gives the helpers info about Reece.

Not urgent but I would talk to your vet about changing over to a longer lasting and gentler insulin such as Lantus or prozinc or levemir.

I would feed her as much as she wants at the moment if she needs to put on weight. Make sure she eats well before the vetsulin and then give her snacks throughout the day except for the two hour BEFORE you test the blood sugars for the Preshots.
    Keep asking lots of questions. We are very happy to help in any way.
    Bron.

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

If she’s under weight and you want her to gain, the answer to this question of how much wet food is AS MUCH AS SHE WANTS.

6. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

Off topic, but is your kitty a singapura?

7. SuziB

SuziB Member

Reece is your average, run of the mill tabby we adopted as a tiny kitten from the humane society. No fancy breed, although she is tiny, like the Singapura!

8. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

The face looked like it, but it was hard to tell if it was tabby markings on body. She's a beauty :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.