Feeding Dilemma

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by doose24, Apr 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doose24

doose24 Member

Hi all!

Nana was diagnosed about a month ago. I used to feed her 1 can of FF grilled chicken in gravy along with BB wilderness. I took her off the dry food the next day and started just wet food only that was low in carbs. Her BG at the Vet was 350. Since I took away the dry food, her BG has dropped to 250-280 without any insulin.

Here's the issue I am having now. I bought her Young Again because she is a grazer and likes dry food to nibble on which she liked. I also must have went through every known wet food on the planet to find something she likes that was low in carbs. She finally settled on FF Oceanfish classic. Now, Nana doesn't want to eat it FF Oceanfish anymore. And she doesn't want Young Again either! I had to go back to FF grilled chicken in gravy (which cleans the bowel!). I know the gravy varieties have more carbs than the classic ones. I also bought her Wysong Epigen 90 and she ate it today for the 1st time. I also bought her Dr.Elsey's cleanprotien food.

So my question is, can I just stick with the FF FF grilled chicken in gravy? I will monitor her BG today and see how it is with new food.

Does anybody here feed the FF gravy varieties?

2. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi Member

Ma
    ybe try different foods until you find her fancy? I use Byond pâté ...the “fish” variety’s are just 1% carb
    C254D07C-5E08-4DAF-B6E6-29B927964EE5.jpeg

Hope this helps. I’m swimming in the beginning of this diabetic thing with my head barely above water. I also just got my Young Again last night.

3. doose24

doose24 Member

Thanks, I tried all those and Nana just sniffs them and walks away. She just not into Pate.

It's not like it's already stressful with giving her shots and checking BG! Now I have to worry about food as well.

4. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi Member

Oh darn! I’m sorry :(

5. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

Magic Johnson likes this.
  6. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Check out the Nutro line of foods, they have lots that are sliced or minced in "sauce" and are lower in carbs. I buy mine from Chewy.com or Amazon, but I think you can get them almost anywhere.

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Try the fancy feast chunky or flaked variety. Different texture from the pate. Adding a little water may make her feel like she's getting gravy

Megan and Tessie likes this.
  8. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Gravy varieties are almos all high carb but hey a cat has to eat, and that's the most important thing, probably she will need more insulin.

With a little bit of luck you will find eventually some food she likes and that is low carb

9. doose24

doose24 Member

Do you know the carb % of Nutro? I can't seem to find that info.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.