Feeding Friskies Pates? FYI read

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tanya and Ducia, Nov 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Good morning all,

I wanted to alert everyone who feeds Friskies Classic Pates that I have been finding small bone fragments in it consistently for the past several days. The cans were purchased at different locations/times so I cannot blame it on a bad butch, looks more like this is common practice by the manufacturer:mad:.

Flavors I used were Poultry Platter and Turkey and Giblets. Findings: small white solid particles clearly visible and easily removed w/fork. I add water to the pates and mush it with fork and one day felt something odd. When I ran my fingers thru the meal I felt and fished out A LOT of small, colorless and sharp edged pieces which were not visible at all. I hope they were bone fragments but ,honestly, some felt as sharp as pieces of broken glass. How much?: 10-15 tiny pieces per 2 teaspoon portion. How often?: every single portion I served for the past 2 days.

HERE is the old condo about what those fragments can do to a cat's intestine. :nailbiting:

Beware!

And now good news about foods: Tiki Cat canned, 0% carbs and one of the lowest Phosphorous foods in Dr. Lisa's chart are now sold @Petco (perhaps it's the same in your city, too). It is $1.29 per 2.8 oz can at Petco v. $1.99 at a pet specialty store. IMHO, Tiki is a good quality product and now that its price is much more reasonable many of you who watch P level might find it to be great LC/LP mid cycle snack.

Happy Sunday, everyone, and keep you babies safe - apparently, the cat food industry is NOT on our side.

Sylvie likes this.
  2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I would contact the company immediately and file a complaint! You are so right, the cat food industry is NOT 0n our side, only the side of their own profit. HERE is a good site for info on the industry.

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  3. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

yikes i have been avoiding this brand but, our pet food bill for 10 cats is ridiculously high nowadays so decided to buy our first case of their 5.5oz variety classic pate after seeing it for $21 for 48 cans at sams club last weekend. i was disappointed most of our cats don't like it but, now am glad they didn't!!

Thanks for the heads up, will start checking & feeling pate with my fingers to be safe!

UPDATE: no bones/etc in the ocean whitefish & tuna i fed this AM. only 1 hard coarse sea salt granulated size piece in the 5.5 oz can of turkey & giblet i fed this evening, i could not break/crush it so guess it was a rock/hard bone piece (it was beige). there were 3 other hard pieces but, those were breakable/crushable.

Wish i hadn't check since that is the only low carb wet food my diabetic cat does well on and will eat enough of but i decided to check FF's turkey and giblet and i felt lots of hard grain like pieces in that one.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Reason for edit: update
    Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  4. bbwyo

bbwyo Member

Question: Why do you say that the Tiki Cat canned food might be a great mid cycle snack? Isn't this a complete and balanced catfood? Just curious. I have been using the Purely Fancy Feast products and Tiki Cat chicken variety. The Tiki Cat is 2x +/- in calories so I use it infrequently but when I do use it I assume it's a nutritionally complete diet so your comment about it being a great "snack" caught my eye!

5. Tanya and Ducia

Hi,
    Tiki is complete and balanced food and I use it as mid/end cycle snack because it has 0% carbs - 1 teaspoon or less at a time. It is recommended not to feed past nadir - mid cycle mostly for Lantus users - but my cat often requires it. It is not the caloric value to avoid past nadir, it is not to give any carbs because carbs will put breaks on insulin effectiveness. A teaspoon of Tiki poultry flavor is about 4 Kcal and 0% carbs - almost like freeze dried snacks popular here. I call it a snack because of its mini size - not because it's not a balanced food.
    Does this answer your question?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Reason for edit: eta to clarif.
  6. racn1320

racn1320 Member

I found some in her chicken and liver pate. I have 6 cans left of diffrent kinds,if i find anymore im done with friskies.

7. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Mine stopped eating their pate flavors months ago. I suspect they changed their recipes since all 6 of mine stopped eating it at the same time.

8. LuanneP

LuanneP Member

Hi @Tanya and Ducia :) I might have missed this in other posts but I didn't know we should not feed past nadir. I always take food up 2 hrs before checking Merry's blood but he usually gets a snack after I check it at +8 or +9 (when I get home from work). Should I not be giving him a snack at that time? Should he have a snack after his breakfast around +4 or something instead? Merry doesn't seem to start dropping until after +3. I'm still trying to figure all this out. At night he eats & gets his shot at 8pm and then after I check his blood at +3 or +4 before bed, he gets a snack which hubby picks up after 15 minutes so he doesn't get anymore food until breakfast. Is that ok?

9. Tanya and Ducia

Feeding - as in meals or even mini meals like 2-3 teaspoons is a huge NO-NO for most cats (not all, though, ECID). Whatever food you give -even raw or 0% carbs - is transformed into glucose to be utilized by the body and thus counteracts insulin. If fed after the nadir - when insulin is diminishes - it can act as breaks on the insulin efficiency - and we do not want that. It is best for most cats on insulin (not all of them, though!) to eat prior to their nadir - like early in the cycle - up to +4 past injection by mini meals instead of one large brekky. My cat gets acidy stomach and vomits white foam/ clear liquid if she is not fed at +7 and +9 - so I give her less then 1 teaspoon at +7 and about 2 - 2.5 teaspoons of 0% carbs or raw food at these times. Even that little is frowned upon by those whose cats are in remission.I am one of a few lucky once whose cat's insulin duration is not affected by eating as late as +9 - most cats do better if their food is restricted after mid cycle. Snacking late is ok - given it is 0% carbs/raw/home cooked - and in tiny amounts - like whatever rests on your thumb nail size snack - or a 1/2 - 1/4 teaspoon.
    Well, then, how about dividing his pre-shot meal in two portions and feed his 1st half at pre-shot and another half at +1.5 - 90 min after the injection? Could be good experiment for you to try...Test then at +2 - +2.5 and see if that works. The point is to have "fresh" carbs 30 min ( or so) prior to the known drop time - it'll slow/ smooth the drop and prevent afterwards bouncing - like if he drops at/ just after the +3 but had eaten at +2.5 then chances are to have gradual lowering v. drop/dive.
    Do you mean the pre-shot? Those MUST be at least 2 hours away from eating.. You do well!
    Other than that - feed and test as often as you want... Solid food will take up to 30 min to hit the bloodstream and affect the BG; gravy, sauce, honey any w/sugars - about 15 min... The HC or even some MC will stay in the system for long - up to several cycles - and thus better to be avoided, esp the dry HC/MC...

If you got Merry's BG checked about 30 - 45 min after he has eaten - you'll get the data about the "food spike" he gets from certain foods (keep the record as to what you've fed) - an invaluable tool in dose evaluation.

It is not necessary to test the fasting numbers only. The only once that must be food-influence-free - are the pre-shots - but you already know this and practice accordingly. :)

Does it answer your questions? I hope it makes sense!:bighug:

10. bbwyo

bbwyo Member

Yes absolutely. Thank you.

11. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Feeding after nadir is an ECID thing. Max ate several times a day so I generally fed him every hour or two until he was done, usually around +6-7. It’s good to not go too long without food if a cat has chronic pancreatitis. I never fed two hours or closer to preshots. It did not have any effect on his BG.

Becky & Baby Girl GA and Sylvie like this.
  12. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

I guess I don’t understand not feeding any cat at +8 or 9 because that’s supper time? Maybe I read this wrong. Never mind - lost. amps is empty stomach, pmps is 2 hrs w/o food prior to reading.
    I hate hearing about any cat being damaged by a bone!! Bad ...I use Friskies mixed grill & chicken pate. I thank you for the alert & so far (fingers crossed) no bones in mine. I will keep up on the mashing & looking as she likes those & turns her nose up to other food. Unless it’s real chicken. Mashing food here!! Thank you

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  13. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

My cat does better with consistent snacking throughout the cycle. If I withhold food, his PS numbers are always much higher than if I let him eat all the way until +10. And during the months when he was blues and greens all the time, I didn't even worry about the two hour pre-shot window because he wasn't getting food spikes. A lot of this is knowing your cat and collecting enough data that you can see what matters for your cat and what doesn't. If I fast my cat he starts rising, and will keep rising until he gets to eat again. Definitely not what we want to see around here. If he snacks all cycle, he just surfs. So just do enough testing that you can see if your cat does better fasting after nadir, or does better with snacks throughout the cycle. As Tanya and tiffmaxee said, Every Cat Is Different.

Sylvie and Becky & Baby Girl GA like this.
  14. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

Djamila
    Yes thank you for confirming this. Ecid

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.