Feeding Frustration - Who has who trained?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Darwin H., Feb 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

With BG testing tied to eating it is hard to define when I can safely and accurately take a BG reading to attain a good bit of info.

I have 95% transitioned the little monsters from Kirkland Signature kibble to canned wet food.
    My problem is they were use to grazing whenever. Now, they eat a little and walk away. I need Simba to eat a good bit so I can give him his shot. I took up the wet food tonight that they did not finish it after repeated attempts to repositioned them in front of their bowls. I will be locking myself into my BR tonight to escape the wrath that I know will be coming. I already get the 4 am poke in the face and whining to eat, which is normally at 6:30. I have left kibble out to stop the stomach bile vomiting when they look forward to eating and it does not arrive in time. This diabetes tied to feeding and waiting 2 hrs after a snack to take a bg reading is challenging. Maybe a little more wet food before bedtime? *** HOW do you handle this? Thanks.. Signed, the butler in charge of THEIR home.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

The only time it's really important that you test without the influence of food for 2 hours, is the Pre-shot tests.

The rest of the cycle, just feed and test.....don't worry about when he last ate.

Also, there's no reason you can't leave canned food out, but you may want to consider getting an auto-feeder like the PetSafe 5.....it would allow you to program it so that you could offer Simba food overnight and then just have it rotate to an empty slot by +10......then your AMPS wouldn't be influenced by food, but you wouldn't get punched in the face at 4am!

One of the nice things about glargine is that the cat doesn't necessarily have to eat a certain amount before it's safe to shoot. Each shot usually take 2-3 hours before it really "kicks in" so you have that time to let him continue to nibble.

As long as he's willing to eat, that's the important part (not sick and refusing food....just being picky)

Most of us Test/Feed/Shoot....all within 5-10 minutes. As long as China was showing interest in food, I didn't worry about how much she ate when I gave her insulin because I knew she'd eat more over the next couple hours.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  3. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

Hi Chris, But when trying to ascertain accurate multiple readings in BG - isn't the outcome influenced by snacks/grazing? I surmise it would not matter if they graze or snack as a normal part of their day but trying to get multiple readings or curves makes this hit and miss when food is introduced? Or am I making too much of this? Thanks. . . PS thanks for the feeder idea and web jump!!

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

The simple answer is "yes" ;)

5. Asiina & Alex(GA)

Asiina & Alex(GA) Member

The outcome might be influenced by grazing, but it doesn't matter since you're testing at different parts of the day for different reasons.

When you test before you give the shot, you're checking to make sure that his BG is high enough that the shot won't be dangerous. Making sure he doesn't eat for 2 hours beforehand is so that number doesn't look artificially high. This is more important

When you test at other times in the day you're seeing how well the insulin you gave him is working and making sure he doesn't drop too low. You want to know what his normal day is like so you can adjust the dose if needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.