feeding question.....Found Answer!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gwen and Morris, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gwen and Morris

Gwen and Morris Member

If I remember correctly, I think there has been a post here previously about 'new recommendations' for feeding guidelines. Does anyone know where I could find that information?

Looking through the health links, I found a site that suggested feeding 20-30 calories per pound (ideal weight) per day. Does that sound correct?

Based on that, my Morris' ideal weight is approx 11 pounds, so I should be feeding him approx 220-330 calories per day. Which translates into me learning that I have indeed been over feeding him for awhile now & I should not be upset at all that he hasn't been eating all his food! LOL!

The Friskies varieties I feed are approx 190 calories per can; Fancy Feast 100 calories per can, and EVO 210 calories per can (I've done some rounding up for simplicity). So instead of feeding him the equivalent of 2 Friskies cans per 24 hours (divided into 8 servings), I could feed him 1 Friskies can & 1 Fancy Feast can.....and reduce that when I give him his treat of EVO once in awhile!

2. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

Re: feeding question.....

well, dr. lisa always says to KISS. keep it simple (AIN"T callin no one stupid) :) so we will say suzie
    too fat, feed less
    too skinny feed more
    I think normally a cat should get about 6 oz /day but above applies
    more specific ??? do mot remember where I saw it

3. Gwen and Morris

Gwen and Morris Member

4. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

I've been trying to figure this out too. Dr. Lisa seems to be calling for less.

In the article on Basic Nutrition, the section on transitioning from dry food says
    "at least 15 calories per pound per day.  This number is figured on lean body weight, not fat weight. 
    If your cat weighs 18 pounds but really should weigh 12 pounds, please make sure that he is consuming at least ~180 calories per day.  (12 pounds lean body mass X 15 calories/pound/day = ~180 calories/day)
    If you have a small female cat that should only weigh 9 pounds, please make sure that she is consuming at least 135 calories per day.
    "

Janet seems to have some reservations about the numbers in the chart as they seem to call for way too many carbs Trying to work my way through this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.