Feeding Routine with Lantus?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by nslade001, Dec 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nslade001

nslade001 Well-Known Member

Hello all,

We've *just* switched our Willow from Caninsulin to Lantus, this is our second day. I think we may be over-thinking this, but we just aren't sure how to change her feeding routine so it works well for Lantus and Willow. I know multiple small feedings are good, but you try not to feed too much in the end of each cycle, and also you don't want to interefere with the BGs in the preshot tests.

Willow doesn't seem to tolerate large amounts of food anymore, so we don't feed her in larger than 1/4 can (FF) increments at a time. We want to get around 2 1/4 cans FF into her each day, with two additional small chicken meals/treats. We have a 5 meal feeder.

We're thinking of feeding her (daytime) 1/4 can at: +0 (injection), +2, +3, +4, and +6, with a chicken treat at +9.
    For evening/nights, we're thinking 1/4 can at +0, +2, +3 and +4 with a chicken treat at +9.

Not sure how much this frequent feeding influences her spot tests through the day; we try to test before feeding, but sometimes on curve days this schedule and her appetite involves her finishing less than an hour before a test (but never a preshot; we pull food 2 hours before those).

Would really love and appreciate any thoughts or examples of your feeding schedules, or just let us know if we're really overthinking things :)

Also tagging @majandra in the hopes that you could share your feeding routine, since Rhubarb's SS is the most similar to Willow's that I've seen (granted Willow's is based on Caninsulin up to now)

Thanks so much, with love,

nikki

2. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

With Lantus is ok to free feed you do not need him eating a lot after his shoot just a bit because is a long acting insulin and it won't hit right away, you do the spot test as you usually do regardless of he having eaten, you only remove all food 2 hours before his preshoot test to make sure the results are not food influenced and is safe to shoot.

Babu usually has 3 not so big meals he has never really eaten much at once , one in the morning one about noon and one in the night and he has food out all during the day and night to nible when ever he wants

nslade001 likes this.
  3. nslade001

Thank you :)
    With love,
    Nikki

Veronica & Babu-chiri likes this.
  4. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

I used to feed every time dish emptied except for the 2 hr ps, but now Rhubarb is gaining weight because that's just too much now that she is regulated.

When I am home, I generally give her a tsp(0.5 oz) with shot, and put 1 oz in feeder. And then add more after +2 or +3 test. If I work, I will put 2oz in feeder. I also have a dish set to +8 am and pm that has 0.25 to 0.5 oz , because we found that she got high ps otherwise. Night time I've been leaving 1.5oz in feeder with the +8 snack.

I give a tiny piece of raw beef with most tests.
    That make sense? Rhubarb is a grazer, so I can't do pure scheduled meals either.

nslade001 likes this.
  5. nslade001

Thanks so much, that is helpful. I don't dare feed Willow every time her dish is empty lol.
    With love,
    Nikki

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.