Feeding schedule question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kathy, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy

Kathy Member

Now that Bert is finally on insulin, I am not sure our feeding pattern will be good for him

I have been trying to give him something to eat every 4 hours during day.
    I make it so that by the end of the day he has eaten about 5.5oz. of wet a day.

Is it OK to still feed him like this.
    I gave him his first insulin shot tonight at about 6:20, he ate 1/4 can of FF.
    Our routine is to give him another 1/4 before bed.

What is your feeding schedule?

Bert is on Lantus

2. Jean and Megan

Jean and Megan Member

What insulin are you using? Different insulins react differently to food. In general, though, your feeding schedule will probably work just fine. As a rule, diabetics do well with several small meals spread throughout the day.

3. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

You may find that 5 ounces of food daily is not enough, especially for an unregulated cat.

So, don't be surprised if he is hungrier than normal and demands more food. Please do give it to him - his body needs it. Now is not the time to be concerned about weight loss issues (assuming that is a concern).

Also if you need help with the feeding schedule, you may want to purchase a timed feeder. This will allow automatic feeding at set intervals.

4. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Kathy,

I have four cats and they are all on wet food now as of last month. Our schedule consists of one 13.3oz can in the morning split in half on two plates. They all snack on this throughout the day while I am at work. However, I do find that it is gone by about noon. Twelve hours later when it is time for Webber's PM shot they all get another 13.3oz can split in half on two plates.

Since switching to all wet food I find that none of them drink water from their bowls anymore. I add quite a bit of water to the canned food to make it soupy/pudding like. All of the cats have different feeding preferences too, so I found that this works out well. Some will eat a little as soon as I put the plate down (one will eat right out of the can when I open it :lol: )and others wait til the coast is clear to eat alone. We keep our house fairly cool so I don't ever have to worry about the food staying out. It never lasts that long anyhow :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.