? Feeding Schedule Questions Multi-Cat Home

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mary Ann & Baby, Sep 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mary Ann & Baby

Mary Ann & Baby Member

Hi - Baby was diagnosed with diabetes several months ago in May. She is up to 5u Lantus 2x day, and still has pretty high numbers (200's & 300's with ReliOn Micro, but no ketones). Vet said to feed her FF pate every 12 hours. She gobbles that up and begs all day for treats (I give PureBites) My problem is, I have another furbaby, "Boo", (no diabetes) who is extremely skittish and finicky and she is NOT happy with the new feeding schedule. She has always been a grazer and she prefers dry and/or Temptations treats - it's been 3-1/2 months of this schedule and she STILL will only eat maybe 1/3 of her meal at mealtimes, but I have to take it away or Baby will scarf it all down as well as her own meals! :( Now Boo seems all down in the dumps. I feel terrible for her. I am reading that many people free feed their babies, but what do you do when you have a multi-cat home and you don't want your diabetic kitty eating everyone else's food? I bought one of those fancy feeders that opens only to the kitty whose "chip" has been programmed, but Boo just doesn't get it. Should I try feeding 1/2 cans 4x daily instead, but I still don't think I can leave it out or Baby will eat Boo's leftovers. Baby only weighs 9lbs and I guess a few extra calories won't hurt her - I'm just worried about her BG going up if she eats more.

Any suggestions? Thank you!! This is really getting overwhelming. :/

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

3. Mary Ann & Baby

Mary Ann & Baby Member

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

There's no reason you can't feed both cats more often than twice a day.

Most of us feed our diabetics every few hours....small meals are easier on the pancreas than big ones and help level out the blood glucose.

The only time it's important that they not eat is the 2 hours immediately before shot time so that when you test, there's no food influence on the number.....other than those 2 hours, if kitties are hungry, it's OK to feed them!

Leah likes this.
  5. Mary Ann & Baby

Mary Ann & Baby Member

Thank you, I think I will change my ways. The vet scared me off from that by telling me that I should only give her 1/2 the shot if she only eats 1/2 the food. I guess that is not true? Can you confirm this please? Still 5u on the 12 hour schedule, even though feeding 1/2 can 4x daily? Thank you!!!!!!!

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

One of the nice things about Lantus is it's gentle....it doesn't usually start to "kick in" for 2-3 hours after the shot, so as long as your cat is willing to eat, it's not necessary that they eat at shot time.

The older, harsher insulins were different....it was very important that their was a full meal on board because they hit hard and fast

Sounds like your vet just isn't that familiar with using Lantus

As long as China isn't sick and refusing food, she gets her scheduled dose.....I know I have several hours to get food into her before it starts to kick in

Lantus needs to be given at a consistent dose to have it work it's best...that means the same dose both AM and PM

7. Beck and Philly

Beck and Philly Well-Known Member

To say I have a multi cat home would be an understatement, but we make it work. We have wet food parties twice a day where everyone gets offered can food and medications are given. At night, diabetic Grandpa sleeps in my bedroom with the door closed. I put a huge bowl of dry outside of my room for the other cats. They have all night to eat their fill. In the morning the dry goes into a closet and my door is opened. Wet food party #1 happens soon thereafter.

I try at least once a day to put Grandpa in my room and bring out the dry for anyone wanting a snack.

Sylvie likes this.
  8. alexthecat

alexthecat Member

When I had two cats, I would let them both eat as much canned food as they wanted four times a day. Paddy, my civvie, was very fond of kibble, so I would take him into another room and let him have his kibble a few times per day. Paddy passed away recently, so Cleo gets Fancy Feast whenever she wants and we no longer have kibble in the house.

9. Mary Ann & Baby

Mary Ann & Baby Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.