Feeding Schedule: Too Often

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Hi all!

I recently switched Basil to a feeding schedule of
    AMS (1/2 can FF), AM+4 (1/4 can), A+8(1/2 can), PMS (1/2 can), PM+3 (1/4 to 1/2 can), 1/2 can left out overnight
    (If you look at his SS, the feeding times are marked there.

Two days in a row, he has shown little interest in his AM+4 and I am wondering if I should just combine the AM+4 and AM+8 into a single AM+6.

Is this enough to be kind to his pancreas? Or should I stick with what we've got?

Thanks!

2. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Many of us feed our cats only twice a day, right after AMPS & PMPS. When I feed FF, I usually give my cats one can each at each feeding.

3. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Let Basil help you decide how he needs to be fed. If he's not all that interested in +4, try the combined +6.

4. Natasha & Seamus

Natasha & Seamus Member

I'm with Venita! Seamus eats when he's hungry anywhere from 3-3.5 cans a day of FF, which the vet said was okay for his weight. You don't want to underfeed or overfeed, but they are pretty good about telling you when they want their food.

5. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Hi everybody,

Thank you for all your replies. I appreciate all your input.

I also totally agree about the amount of food. I think I am maintaining a handle on that part-although as Basil gets better, it changes and I have to keep on my toes!

What I am worried about--and I apologize for not making this clear--is that I am trying to space his food differently to help his pancreas along. He is on Lantus and is down to 0.1U! So, I want to tax his little pancreas as little as possible. But, I am wondering if this MANY divisions of his food is necessary, or would fewer work just as well.

Thanks again!

6. Natasha & Seamus

Natasha & Seamus Member

How many cans of food a day does he get? And what has your feeding schedule been up until now?

7. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

Have you considered a timed feeder? It might make your life a lot simpler. I'm at home most of the time and it still really helps me. Check them out at petsafe.com. (they have a section for stuff other than fences-I forget the tab name) They sell a 2 meal or a 5 meal feeder. The 2 meal costs $30 and the 5 is more.

I prepare food & feed (5.5 ou can + water+ miralax) twice a day at 8 AM and PM, then give the shot. From this food I scoop out 2 large tablespoonfulls into each section of the feeder, and set them to open at 12 and 4 AM & PM. No more following me around to beg. Close to 12:00 and 4:00 he sits at the feeder and waits-- rather amazing. and I know he's eating every 4 hours around the clock.

8. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Right now, I am doing what I described above. (2.75 cans divided)

I have thought about an automatic feeder, but I am holding off due to the multiple-cat and dog issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.