Feeding schedule

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ann & Tess GA, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

What do others do for a feeding schedule? Tess doesn't eat a lot at once, so I give
    • breakfast/dinner, 1.25 to1.5 oz. after preshot test
      .75 at +2 or +3 after test
      .5 at +4 or +5 after test
      .5 at +6 or +7 after test

We just did a brief OTJ trial and I was advised not to test for 3 to 4 hours after food to give the pancreas more time to kick in.

Could my 2 hour intervals be effecting her numbers and keeping her from earning decreases?

2. Mindy & Max

Mindy & Max Member

I have no idea, but I'm interested in the answers to this question.

I only feed twice a day unless Max goes low. Both my cats wolf down their food as soon as it is out. I put out 9oz of food in the morning, and 9oz in the evening (which I know is more than they need right now, but until Max goes OTJ, I don't want to restrict them too much. He also has some weight to put back on.). They're finally starting to slow down a little with eating, but the food is always gone within an hour or two of putting it out.

3. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I'd say its worth a try changing it up to see if it makes a difference. Can your try 3 hrs between for a couple of cycles?

Our feeding schedule is:
    AMPS: 6oz between 3
    +3- 3.5: 3oz between 3
    +5-7( depending on feeder or hubby): 3oz between 3
    PMPS: 6oz between 3
    +3.5: 3 oz (sometimes in feeder)
    +8.5: 3 oz in feeder
    +11 feeder moves to empty so if there is any left she can't eat it.

We weren't doing the later cycle snak, but once we started doing that we cleared up the evening blues a little better and stopped having ravenous kitties during testing time. The feeders are great, except there's no bets on who's getting what. Its targeted at about 8oz per kitty, should be a little less, buts what works to try to make sure they all at least get a bite out of the feeder.

4. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

I'll try that, maybe not till tomorrow, the +8.5 would be 3:30am :roll: WE did switch over to that schedule during the brief OTJ, but I wasn't sure about keeping it up. Tess won't like waiting longer to get fed, but will like fewer tests. I assume you are doing tests when you feed.

5. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Prior to trial I would test the +3-4s, but not many of the later ones. We've rarely tested the later part of the cycle since we aren't home during the day time and its was just not possible to get up and test during the night. I'd get a +3 to +6 when I got home from work and have to be up for the AMPS, I couldn't cut my sleep out anymore than that. We just started the later cycle nighttime feedings with the automated feeder. We'd just aim for PS testing and then get 2-3 mid-cycle tests, varying it as best we could to get info on different points throughout her cycle.

6. Gina & Yittle (GA)

Gina & Yittle (GA) Member

When Yittle was still on insulin and his blood sugar was in the 300-600's and he was losing weight really badly we ended up having to feed him 1/2 a can of FF or 1/4 a can of Friskies (1.4-1.5oz) of food every 2 hours, 24 hours a day. Yep - 12x a day. He'd go out of his fuzzy little mind if we didn't. And it wasn't that we made him eat - it was he'd wake me up every hour or so all night wanting more food... we figured if he could polish off a serving every 2 hours, then he could have it.

Once he went into diet controlled remission we were at 12 feedings a day for awhile, then it drifted down to 10, then 8. Right now he's averaging 6-8 meals a day of 1.4-1.5oz of food with water mixed in. Literally in the last week or so he's been ending up closer to 6 most days although we haven't been home a lot of the time so its hard to say if he'd ask for more food if we were home or not. He can't seem to stomach eating much more then 1.5 - 2oz at a time without throwing up. Although he's known to eat his, then see if he can snag a few bites from the others and then an hour or so later wander back past the bowls to clean up leftovers - we call that "bowl patrol". I think he eventually might get down to 4-6 servings a day, which would be 2-3 cans of Fancy Feast for a 14.75lb cat. Time will tell...

7. meagain

meagain New Member

Gina & Yittle ... Your feeding schedule is similar to mine. I am trying to bring my little guy, a rescue who resists testing in a major way, to be diet-controlled. To get a good idea of how he is responding to the wet diet, how soon after feeding should he be tested? I saw two to three hours mentioned in this thread, but if he is eating every two hours (our family is on different shifts, so it's easier to make sure he gets fed regularly), how soon after feeding would I be able to get a good BG reading? He is currently not on any insulin, but if his numbers don't stay at a good level, then he likely will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.