feeding schedule

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Carrie & Trouble, Jun 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carrie & Trouble

Carrie & Trouble Member

I am wondering what schedule works best for some of you with diabetic kitties. Right now I am feeding right after AM and PM readings and mid way through each cycle. Each time is about 1/2 can of Fancy Feast, so he gets about 2 cans a day. Any suggestions or changes you could recommend would be great.

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

We leave canned food out all day and night -- they usually finish it shortly before breakfast time.

For 5 cats - 2 12.5 oz cans of Wellness + another 6 to 9 oz of FF or Friskies or BFF

3. paige

paige Well-Known Member

I leave our food all day too. My 4 are grazers so I make sure there is food all day. It is also good to have small meals throughout the day as to not stress out the pancreas with larger meals a couple of times a day.

Are you home throughout the day? When I am not I make sure to leave a little extra out if I won't be home around dinner time to make sure they always have some food available.

4. Carrie & Trouble

Carrie & Trouble Member

I will be home all day during the summer. How long can wet food be left out before it needs to be dumped?

5. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to that but a lot of people feed every 4 hours. Honestly my cats have eaten wellness that has sat out for greater than 6 hrs and I have never had problems. However we keep our house quite cool. Hope some others come along.

6. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Our feeders are set to turn every 4 hours plus we have some that stay open for free feeding (and because little piggy Smokey has claimed the timed feeders as hers and I am worried the other two don't get to eat much out of them). I think Smokey has noshed on food that has been out from the night before, and probably for over 12 hours, and never gotten sick. Between 3 cats we put out 7-9 3oz cans of food in a day and probably dump 1/2-1 can that isn't eaten.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.