? Feeding The Curve Take 2 -- Advice Appreciated

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by J.J. and Phoebe Squeak, Jun 21, 2019.

1. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

J.J. and Phoebe Squeak Well-Known Member

Feeding The Curve 6/17
    Hi, I tried feeding the curve once again after a dose increase last night and I tried to follow the advice I received from last time. (Condo above).
    I started trying to slow things down at +1.25 last night, but I wonder if I slowed things down too much, because she stopped in yellow numbers and she may have gone lower. Or is it OK that she stopped in yellow because her bounce would have been bigger if she made it down to blue or green?
    All advice appreciated.
    @Chris & China (GA) You have helped me with this before. Please weigh in if you have time.
    Thanks!

2. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

3. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

Bellasmom likes this.
  4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I spent a lot of time feeding Gabby's curve. You might want to take a look at her SS.

First, there's no one "right" way to feed a curve. Gabby was bouncy. What I was looking to achieve was to get her to spend as much time as possible in blue or green numbers without earning a dose reduction while at the same time, giving her the most insulin I could. Ultimately, she would earn a reduction but by maximizing the dose, you try to get the numbers into the desired range and use food to prevent a dose reduction. That helped her to stop bouncing as much and to get her body used to numbers that were in a lower range.

Obviously, you can do this in stages -- aim for yellows first. Just be aware that you will not necessarily be able to get rid of bounces entirely.

I'd also think about using low carb food rather than medium carb since your kitty isn't in lower numbers. Any food will help to slow things down unless your cat's really on a dose reduction mission.

5. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

Thanks very much. I will look at Gabby's SS for sure!

6. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

You might want to read the excellent post #15 in this condo. It has great info on managing the curve with food.

Tomlin and Sienne and Gabby (GA) like this.
  7. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

Thank you very much. I appreciate your help.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  8. Marje and Gracie

You’re welcome and tag me if you have questions.

9. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

I appreciate the offer and I will. I just checked out your dear Gracie's SS and I am amazed and impressed by how often you tested both day & night. How did you do it? Are you a night owl?

10. Marje and Gracie

It wasn’t easy but she could drop out of nowhere. My husband shared equally with her care. We both learned to sleep/test. Gracie always slept next to me and we kept all her testing stuff on my nightstand at night so it was quick unless we had to feed. She usually slept through her tests...she was so amazing.

11. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

Wow, that's amazing! Thanks for filling me in. She was such a lucky kitty to have you and your husband as her family.

12. Marje and Gracie

Thank you. We were the blessed ones. She taught us so much about patience and sacrifice. And she was pure love. We would gladly do this dance with her again if it meant having her back.

Once my sister has gone home (Jul 1), I’ll pop back on and see if I can offer you and Phoebe some thoughts and help. She’s VERY cute!

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

13. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

Thanks very much. Enjoy your visit with your sister.

14. Marje and Gracie

Thank you!