Feeding Time

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jim, Jul 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim

Jim New Member

Hello, I have a feeding question. Ebony was diagnosed about a month ago and is doing well on Lantus. Since it is long acting, does her feeding time and shot need to be at the same time? I started feeding her first, to make sure she eats, then give 1.5U shot an hour later. Just want to make sure I’m not messing anything up.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Jim and welcome to you and Ebony.
    With Lantus we usually test, feed then give the insulin. All within about 15 mins.
    Because Lantus is a slow acting insulin, it is not necessary to give all the food at once. Most of us give several smaller meals during the first part of the cycle ... say at shot time,+3 and +6.
    Some also free feed during the cycles but take the food up for the last two hours before insulin is due.
    What type of food are you giving? Low carb under 10% and wet food is recommended. :cat:
    Are you home testing the blood sugars? We strongly suggest you do test to keep Ebony safe.

Please ask lots of questions, we are here to help. :)

3. Jim

Jim New Member

Hi Bron,
    Was doing the Purina DM, then moved to FF pate. Yes, am using an AlphaTrak2. I’ve been feeding one can twice a day, but will try multiple smaller meals, based on your suggestion. Her numbers seem to have started to stabilize (started in 500/200 range, now are (250/100, with some in the 80s), so I think I’m going to have to do another extended curve.

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Wow, Jim, much better numbers and Hooorayy for that. It would be helpful if you could create a signature so that we have information on Ebony when we read and respond to your posts. Here is the link to information about the signature: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/
    There is also a spreadsheet that we use to record and track the BG, and if/when you need advice the information can be viewed by members. Here is a link to the area that provides information about and how to create the spreadsheet.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/suggestions-tech-support-testing-area.6/

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Hi Jim,
    Sounds like you are doing a great job with Ebony.
    We have two protocols here on the forum which you might like to look at. They are the Start Low Go Slow protocol and the tight regulation protocol. If you look at the top of the LLforum you are on now you will see the yellow stickies that have all the info you need to know about them. You might like to start following one of them. They are made for human meters though so there is a small adjustment to the numbers to be made for Alphatrak 2users.
    Also we have a spreadsheet that we use that gives wonderful view of how the kitty is going with all the readings. You might like to start up one of those. He is the link

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

If you would like to start posting on this page, you would be very welcome. There are many very knowledgeable people here who can help and support you.

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

When you create the signature (you will find it under your used name at the top right of the page) we like information such as name of kitty and yours, date of diagnosis, type of insulin, what type of meter...I'd put the Alphatrak in capitals ........any other illnesses, county, medications. When we help people we look at the signature and it gives us lots of info that we don't have to go searching for.
    When you set up the SS it will also show up there.
    ETA...have just realised Edjits Mom has given you the link to the signature which gives all the info on what to do

7. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Hi Jim; welcome!
    Sounds like Ebony is already starting to respond to the insulin; great news!

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

@Jim
    I don't think you have completed your SS fully as I can't see it when I click onto it. Can you check it?

9. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Jim and welcome to L & L !

As Bron said, Test/Feed/Shoot all with 10 -15 minutes. As long as Ebony eats at least a tbsp. of food you are good to shoot at AM & PM time knowing that he will go back and eat the rest of the food. Most of us do feed multiple times a day and for those that work and can't dole out food we use automatic feeders that can be timed to open during the cycle ( Petsafe 5 is the one I use). Also, some people will freeze the portion to be fed later in the safe so that it does not spoil.

You will need to grant permission for us to be able to see your SS. Also, if you get a signature up and going also it will help us help you by not asking repetitive questions like what insulin, what meter, etc. Also, if you could put your location in the world there so we know what time zone you are in that would be helpful.

Here is an explanation of how to use the SS:

AMPS is the AM Pre-shot test (always test before shooting to make sure they're high enough to give insulin)...then the U column is for "Units" (how much you gave)

The +1, +2, +3, etc are for how many hours since shooting...so +2 is 2 hours after the AM shot, +9 is 9 hour after, etc.....Since we're all over the world here, saying "he was at 148 at 8pm" doesn't tell us anything...we need to know how long since his last shot

At the end of a 12 hour cycle, it's PMPS time! (PM Pre-shot) and the whole thing starts over.

Please keep asking questions as that is how we all learned to help our Sugar Cats.

10. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Hello Jim and Ebony!

Love the black kitties!

11. Jim

Jim New Member

So what should I do if her pre-shot BG level is only 80? Feed, and give insulin, or skip and shoot later?This has been common over the last week.

Updated permissions on the SS, btw.

12. Bobbie And Bubba

HI Jim, I am still unable to see your SS, still saying to request permission. I am so untech savvy, so hopefully someone else will weigh in to guide you with that.
    Since I can't see the SS and he is newly diagnosed, I would not shoot anything under 150 until you get some more data to see how he is going to react to shooting lower numbers. Sometimes, kitties will have the nadir ( the lowest point of their cycle) at the beginning, and will start to rise back up again but, like I said , until some more data on him, I would use the 150 as a no shoot.
    Here is what you can do......don't feed stall 30 minutes and retest . If up to 150 shoot. This is assuming that your 12 hour shoot cycle can be disrupted a bit because if you do stall and shoot later then the next shot is 12 hours from that time. You can regain your schedule by shooting 15 minutes earlier each cycle or 30 minutes earlier in a 24 hour cycle.

13. Jim

Jim New Member

Ok. So if the levels are flat after a 30 minute stall, I should skip the shoot entirely, and wait 12 hours. In the past, I've fed, retested, and shot a few hours later, and reset the 12-hour shoot time window.

14. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Welcome to Lantus and Lev Land!

If you're concerned that your pre-shot number is lower than your comfort level, you have a couple of choices:

• Stall. Do NOT feed Ebony even if she begs or threatens to chew on your ankle. Wait 15 -20 min. and re-test. If the numbers are not rising, you can repeat the process. The difficulty with stalling is that if you end up stalling for any length of time, your next shot would need to be 12 hours later. This can put you way off schedule. (You can walk the shot time back by 15 min at each shot time or 30 min. once a day.)
    • You can shoot a reduced dose (aka, BCS or "big chicken sh*t" dose -- we have a lot of slang) instead of your usual dose. The difficulty here is that because Lantus and Lev are depot insulins, there is no guarantee that the dose reduction will have an effect on the current cycle.
    • You can skip the dose altogether. Skipping has the biggest effect on the depot. Depending on how your cat is doing, this may or may not be a consideration.
    Ultimately, most of us become comfortable with shooting progressively lower numbers. At least in theory, you will see a flatter "curve" when you shoot low. The mantra here is, "Shoot low to stay low." However, most people do not immediately start shooting low numbers. The 45 you saw yesterday was not a shootable number especially with an AlphaTrack. (With an AT, you do not want to shoot anything that is lower than 68. The cut off is below 50 with a human meter.) Many of us who have a good deal of data collected use that information to inform us as to how our cat is responding to insulin and become comfortable shooting any number over 50 -- so don't get alarmed by the numbers you see in people's subject lines. You may want to take a look at the sticky, Shooting & Handling Low Numbers. The sticky is meant for those who are using the Tight Regulation Protocol but there is useful information in there regarding becoming data ready.

15. Jim

Jim New Member

When cats go into remission, what do those readings look like? Hovering around 50, or is it higher? And how long at those numbers to be considered in remission?

16. Bobbie And Bubba

I can see your SS now! Good job getting that and the signature set up. Can you fill in any more data that you have prior to 7/17? All data in the SS is helpful to see what is going on with the present dose.

17. Bobbie And Bubba

When a cat goes into remission, it is usually a gradual decline down to a 0.10 dose then to a drop and staying in all normal numbers. Or by earning reductions from being in all normal numbers for one week. With the alpha track I believe that would be under 135. I hope some Alpha track users will weigh in. Most of us use a human meter where the scale is lower. The Tight Regulation Protocol was written for using a human meter. The test strips are very affordable compared to the AT 2 meters.

18. Bobbie And Bubba

You can do that also if your schedule permits. Keep testing every 20-30 minutes and you want to shoot as soon as it is safe so the numbers don't get away from you. Then when ever you do shoot, let's say it is 2 hours late, then in the AMPS or PMPS spot you would put +14 and then the number. That way looking at the SS you and everyone else would know that you shot 2 hours late. Make note of the time and shoot 12 hours later.

19. Jim

Jim New Member

Thanks. Yeah, that’s what i was doing, but notes the late shot in the notes.

So what do BG numbers look like for a cat without diabetes (pre-eating and post-eating)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.