Feeding tube 101? - need input

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gator & H (GA), Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

H's brother F [the last survivor of that incredible litter] is in a bit of a pickle and a feeding tube looks like it is on the immediate horizon. F does NOT have diabetes and did not develop diabetes while on prednisilone.

Are there any good feline feeding tube resources/how-to's/best practices out there?

What about the "stuff"/nutrient to go into the tube? Is there any preferred "stuff" especially for an IBD cat? Any other special considerations?

Thanks all very much for your help, opinions and input.

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

http://catinfo.org/?link=feedingtubes I have only used Clinicare for the neck tube......high potency and everything a kitty needs. It is a canned supplement. Trying to get a food like A/D thin enough to syringe down a tube, you are giving more water than food.

3. Donna & Shiloh (GA)

Donna & Shiloh (GA) Member

Yahoo's group: Feline Assisted Feeding group has great info on this, and wonderful support. A tube kept my Shiloh alive twice. Donna

4. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

link to the yahoo group: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Feli ... d-Feeding/

under their files, Q&A, they have a folder on feeding tubes, and another folder on food.

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I second Yahoo's Feline Assisted Feed (FAF) group. Their site and the members have great information and insight. I am still a member after my Mario had an E-tube.

6. Woden's_mom

Woden's_mom Member

Haveing just delt with a feeding tube I recomend the yahoo group. As for what to feed them depending on the tube the vet will tell you what types of food you can feed. Mostly it will be liquid diet like the clinicare, watered down pate canned or baby food. Remember when feeding to go slow, have a extra seringe of water on hand incase the tube clogs(like if there is more pressure resistance when feeding, more commen in nasal tubes). The vet will show you exactly what t do (or should) YOu will be fine and I wish the best for you and kitty.

7. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

Hi Gator,
    sending well wishes to F. Nice to see you around!

8. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks Nancy, yes back from the travels - I posted a little in PZI. Just saying I miss you all does no justice to the feeling.

And thanks all for your wonderful input.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.