Feeling insulin on fur after giving a shot. Help?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Michelle and Daisy, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michelle and Daisy

Michelle and Daisy New Member

This is driving me insane. Occasionally, I after I give Daisy her shot, I will feel insulin on the fur around the spot where I gave it to her.

I know the needle went all the way into her skin. I grasp her skin, pull her skin away, slide the needle all the way into her skin until it wouldn't go any further, inject the insulin until it is all gone, and then pull the needle out. All this happens in about 10 to 15 seconds.

And sometimes I feel will dampness around the spot where I gave her the shot. I felt it with my fingers and could smell that it was the lantus I had just given her.

I'm using BD syringes, that are 8mm in length and 31 gauge. I give her 3 units of insulin as a dose.

Does this happen to anyone else? I thought I remembered reading the phrase 'fur shot' once or twice here, and I'm wondering if this is what that's referring to. Any clue what's going on? Only thing I can think of is that the insulin is somehow going out through the tiny hole the needle made. Because when I look at the syringe after wards, all the insulin is gone, and I know I pushed all of it out into her when the needle was all the way into her skin. :sad:

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

What ever you do , never re-shoot as you don't know how much insulin went in.
    I would keep an eye on her numbers as well.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

For relatively large doses of insulin such a 3 units having a little insulin leaking out is not unexpected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.