Feeling overwhelmed again

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cherish4, Feb 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cherish4

Cherish4 Member

First of all I wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who has offered advice to me over the last week, it has meant a lot.

However I'm currently having a bit of a panic over it all again at the moment. I've spent the last few days going over and over all the meters available on Amazon, trying to decide what to get for home testing. Most of them, including the ones recommended in the UK thread (where I am based) only come with 10 strips and 10 lancets. One or two do come with 50 of each but they're a bit more costly and I'm struggling to make my mind up. I also realized that I don't know how I'm going to keep paying for strips and lancets every week. My plan is to test 2 to 3 times a day for the first few days of this week, just to get us both used to it and so that I can show the vet I can do it at home. Then obviously once Little B starts on insulin it will be 4 times a day. But it hit me this morning, that this means a pack of 50 strips will last less than two weeks so essentially I'd be ordering every week and I don't think I can manage that. Then if I have to do blood curves as well, they'll last even less time.

How does everyone else do it? How do I pick a meter? Each one has as many negative reviews as positive.

I'm also worrying about the fact that I work all day Monday every week. I have to be out really early so the most I might be able to do before leaving is check his levels but he wouldn't get a shot in the morning. I get home early evening so I'd be able to test and give him a shot then but it'd only be that one.

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, as he hasn't even started on insulin yet but it's just so hard to stop all this stuff spinning through my head. I thought reading through everything here and having all your excellent advice would make me more confident that I can do it but I'm still feeling overwhelmed and scared.

SandyB127 likes this.
  2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Pick a meter whose test strips are a reasonable price if the cost is very important. Figure you will need at least 100 per month. I use an Alphatrak but keep the price reasonable by buying freestyle insulinx strips which are cheaper. I can sometimes score a great deal on them on eBay. I think I have something like 15 boxes stock piled because anytime I can score them cheap I get them. Lol

Relion prime is known for inexpensive strips... Although takes a bit larger sample size

If you you have to skip Monday morning then it is what it is. Skipping one shot once a week is not going to be a huge deal. It's really ok... Sometimes life is what it is and we just do the best we can do.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  3. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Money is an issue for me too. It’s especially hard initially because we have to buy everything all at once! It will get easier once those things are in stock and we just have an ongoing level to maintain, but right now we are struggling for sure.

For me, I have shopped around and found the cheapest strips for my meter. At first I only bought one box, but as you found that only lasted like a week or so with lots of testing! But the following week I was able to buy three boxes at once which made it cheaper with combined shipping. That will last me longer and in theory next time I will be able to afford even more boxes at once, saving even more on shipping and making the per-strip cost even less. From then onwards I should be able to put away a wee bit every week to then buy them in bulk lots as needed. That’s my plan anyway!

Same with the food. We were feeding cheap dry food and now we have these countless tins of food to buy. At first we were just buying a few every few days (we have two pay days a week) but now we can buy a weeks worth at once. And I will stock up when there is a special too.

The vets bill is sitting there unpaid right now but we will start payments on that next week now we are getting on top of these initial costs.

It’s worrying, I know. But just take it one day at a time. Buy a meter that has cheap strips that you can access easily and go from there.

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Good morning Lauren, well it's still morning where I am for little bit anyway. I do remember well the feeling you are experiencing right now when we first began. We are a couple of "seniors" and not at all wealthy. I was completely dismayed by the initial costs on diagnosis, and this was before I found FDMB and learned that there were alternatives to those high costs.
    Please take a look at this link: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...-vit-b12-and-other-need-to-know-stuff.137376/
    I am going to tag a fellow UK member who hopefully can help you through this new adventure and is the author of the link @Elizabeth and Bertie
    Please create your signature so that kitty's pertinent info is available with your posts: SIGNATURE
    Be sure to note that you are in the UK please.
    Then set up the spreadsheet so that your home testing data is available to advising members: SPREADSHEET
    That is just the initial "housekeeping" and will help us all to help you on your way.
    Take a deep breath, this is new and as you learn more you will become more comfortable and confident. :cat:

5. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

Hi
    Have you looked at the Code Free meter on Amazon? Some people here have used ir, partly because ir's more cost-effective. You can also look on ebay for strips, once you've chosen a meter - human diabetics sometimes sell on theur excess strips. I'm guessing you don't have pet insurance? - as this would normally cover supplies.

I'll see if I can link the Code Free...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Codefree-Glucose-Monitor-Monitoring-Testing/dp/B0068JAJFS/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1549224303&sr=8-2&keywords=code free. blood glucose monitor

https://www.amazon.co.uk/100-Strips...8-4&keywords=codefree blood sugar test strips

Cherish4 and Idjit's mom like this.
  6. Diana&Tom

Hi again, I've just read your other thread to get a bit of background and am pleased to see that you've been reassured on most counts that treating FD is very doable and doesn't have to be too expensive. I'd say that everyone here was in your shoes once - panicking about how they'd manage - but you only have to look at the volume of threads to see how much help is available on ptetty much every aspect of treatment.

A few brief comments, some of which may be repeating what's already been said, sorry - you don't seem happy with your vet so I would definitely look to change to one you have more confidence in. A negative attitude is no help at all. Many of us here have had a similar situation and switched to a different vet. Find one who is sympathetic to your need to keep costs down so you avoid unnecessary tests where possible. Next, stick with the Nature's Menu and don't get talked into buying expensive prescription food - NM is a good quality brand and has everything your cat needs. It MAY even be that a low carb food negates the need for insulin - you won't know until you start testing but when you do, tell the vet what numbers you're getting so they can assess this. You will need a meter and strips so perhaps try the Code Free as above, or do you have any diabetic friends you can ask to borrow a meter from? You mention asking a charity for help - is that a small local charity or something like the Blue Cross? Try all avenues.

Sorry for the long para! It does seem that there's a lot to learn but actually it's not so bad at all when you start to piece everything together. Keep asking questions and reading other threads to see how other people are managing - there is always someone around to help. If it's a UK-specific question (eg about meters or food), state that you 're in the UK in the title of a thread. There aren't too many of us from the UK but @Elizabeth and Bertie and I have both been around for many years and can usually point you in the right direction. For more general treatment related queries, best not to say UK in the title as it may be overlooked by other members so you might not get just the help you need at that time... hope this makes sense!

Good luck - I know it seems daunting at first but with commitment, care and a bit of luck you can do this!

Diana

Cherish4 likes this.
  7. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

I get my freestyle strips off eBay. You usually get people selling them in bulk so my last ones I got 6 boxes for 60 pounds making them 10 pounds a box instead of 22.

It does all feel a little overwhelming at first money wise but as others say once you have some supplies built up it does get easier.

8. Cherish4

Cherish4 Member

Thing is, I don't have money like that to spend. Once the bills and rent are paid, there's just about enough for food and maybe a small amount for extras but I couldn't spend £60 in one go.

9. Cherish4

Cherish4 Member

Thanks but I have already looked at the UK thread and I'm still feeling overwhelmed.

Thanks for the links to both of those. I was planning on doing them, I just thought it best to wait until I've got a meter sorted and I know what's happening regarding insulin.

10. Cherish4

Cherish4 Member

Hi, no I don't have pet insurance. That's what's making this so difficult.

I have looked at the Codefree meter but even that is £15 to a non diabetic and then it's £10 for 50 strips to a non diabetic. Now that may not be much to a lot of people but I don't generally have massive amounts to spare money wise. Once bills and rent are paid, there's a bit for food and a small amount for extras but that's it.

11. Cherish4

Cherish4 Member

Oh I do realize that and I'm very grateful to everyone on here, they've been lovely and helpful.

Thing is there's only really one other vets nearby or there's a mobile vets service but both of them are more expensive than the one we're currently at and they don't do payment plans either. I don't drive so I can't afford to go to far from my town as it'd cost too much in taxis. There are two other vets at the same practice, so I don't know whether to ask to see one of them instead.

He does seem to be loving the NM food, so I shall probably stick with it although a box does cost twice as much as a normal one. To be honest, I am praying to the universe that the food will be enough although I suspect not.

I do have one diabetic friend but she lives in another part of the country and has literally just had a baby, so I don't want to bother her right now. It's my local RSPCA that I'm asking for help, there's no Blue Cross or PDSA place nearby. The closest PDSA clinic is miles away and I don't drive so the RSPCA is my only option.

Thanks, I am grateful to everyone here honestly, it's just that I've had an awful couple of years. I lost my mum unexpectedly in 2017 and then my grandmother passed away last year and my cats have been the one thing that have kept me going. Having no money as well just makes everything more stressful and our landlord also wants to sell our house so I have that to worry about to and it's really hard when you're alone.

12. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

I do totally understand and it is hard when your on a tight budget. A lot of the stuff I brought I had to take out if my savings.
    You can get them cheaper on eBay just keep a check on there depending on what meter you go for.

Like Diana and Tom said think we've all been in that position when we panic financially.
    But you will find a way and it will get easier x

Cherish4 likes this.
  13. Cherish4

Cherish4 Member

Thanks. However I've never had Savings I'm afraid, never got enough to put anything aside. Any money I'm spending on this stuff means less for food. Obviously I make sure that the cats have enough to eat but it is hard. I appreciate the support though.

14. Diana&Tom

Do you have any kind of budget for vet bills? Maybe you could speak to the vet and explain the situation and ask what they would do in your position? Say you only have £ to allocate to bills and/or supplies and ask them what they think is the most urgent?

Also, look at food... NM is good but not one of the cheaper brands. What have you been feeding your cats up to now? Standard Whiskas or Felix in jelly is ok carb-wise and if you shop around you can often get good deals on the megapacks...

Cherish4 likes this.
  15. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hello Lauren, (((Hugs)))
    First off, take a few deep breaths....
    There are certainly folks here managing on tight budgets, and there are ways to save money when managing feline diabetes.

Lauren, what exactly were you feeding prior to the diabetes diagnosis?

Since your cat is not yet on insulin this is the perfect time to transition to low carb wet food. And if he's previously been eating dry food his blood glucose could drop quite a bit just by diet change alone. This could mean he needs less insulin, so that would possibly reduce some cost for you.
    The Nature's Menu is a nice food, but as Diana says it isn't the cheapest. And this could be somewhere where you can save some money. @Becki and sox feeds her crew Butcher's Classic cans, I think, which are much more budget-friendly. If your cats like these you should certainly be able to save some money here.

The SD Codefree does seem to be the cheapest meter at the moment. So there's not a cheaper way that I know of to buy test strips.
    But when ordering diabetic supplies some do tick the 'yes I am diabetic, or have a diabetic dependant' box to save on VAT. Well, it doesn't specify 'human' diabetic... ;) (But it depends whether doing so will add to your stress. And you don't need that...)

Syringes can be bought more cheaply online than from your vet.
    And if you get an insulin prescription from your vet (they can charge up to £15 for that I think) you 'might' be able to get insulin more cheaply online.
    Do you know if your vet is going to prescribe Caninsulin or Prozinc?

Eliz

Cherish4 likes this.
  16. Cherish4

Cherish4 Member

Not really no, as up until recently they very rarely got sick. Unfortunately both of my other two cats were poorly over the Christmas and New Year period and between them and taxi costs, I spent nearly £400. That was the only back up money I had and it's all gone.

I have explained the situation to them but all they've said is to either consider a loan from this finance company they work with or try and get him to the PDSA which is miles away and not really practical when you don't drive. I'm hoping to get a bit of help from the local RSPCA but I don't know for how long for.

Little B was having Gourmet Gold Pate tins before his diagnosis, whilst my other two tend to have Felix Sensations or Felix Senior for my eldest.

I thought Whiskas and Felix wouldn't have been so great though as they have a very low meat content and loads of other stuff in them?

Also, the vet told me that I shouldn't change his food when he's on a particular brand as it wouldn't be safe. Was she wrong?

17. Diana&Tom

Felix and Whiskas aren't the best, nutritionally, but probably the vast majority of UK cat owners feed their kitties one or the other of these as they're so readily available and reasonably priced. NM is at least twice as much. If you really do have to cut costs you could switch to one of these, or at least alternate with the pricier stuff. My cats have always done fine on Whiskas until I learnt that there were better options and am lucky enough to be able to afford NM, but as I say, many people on tight budgets have to feed what they can afford..

18. Diana&Tom

PS to above... the vet says you shouldn't change food as it wouldn't be safe... what she means is that if you're feeding a particular food while on insulin it may not be safe to switch foods as the new food could have a lower carb content and reduce the need for as much insulin as is being given. Some kitties are dx with FD whilst being fed on a particularly high carb dry food which is probably contributing to if not the cause of high bg, so are prescribed a certain dose of insulin. If a much lower carb, wet food is fed instead, bg may come down by itself anyway and the kitty might need less insulin... basically the point here is that low bg is potentially unsafe so you have to be aware of this and take steps to avoid it when giving insulin. (This is where home testing comes in and the need for a monitor and strips.)

19. Cherish4

Cherish4 Member

Thanks and I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound so hysterical. It's just I've had an awful couple of years, I've lost both my mum and my Nan and then to top it all off both of my other two cats were poorly over the Christmas and New Year period and between them and taxi costs, I spent nearly £400. That was the only back up money I had and it's all gone.

LittleB was having Gourmet Gold Pate tins before his diagnosis, whilst my other two tend to have Felix Sensations or Felix Senior for my eldest.

I've cut out dry food altogether now, after seeing the advice on here so last few days has been purely NM food.

My cats have never had Butcher's Classics although I have heard of it. It's not sold in our local supermarkets but there is one a short bus ride away I could check. Would it be safe to change him over so soon though from NM to that?

Yes, it seems like that will be the meter I'll have to go for. The only reason I was reluctant to tick the 'Yes' box was because it said they check with the HMRC that someone diabetic is living at the address.

I will certainly look into that thank you. I am hoping that the RSPCA will be able to help with paying for insulin and syringes, at least to begin with.

No idea at the moment. I guess we'll discuss that towards the end of this week.

20. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Yeah mine all get butcher and you can get a pack of 12 cans for 5.25 from sainsburys low carb and they go down well with the kitties.

21. Diana&Tom

And a search shows that it's also sold at Morrison's, Asda and Wilko, and online via Ocado and Fetch...

Cherish4 likes this.
  22. Cherish4

Cherish4 Member

Ah well we do have a Wilko in town so I could check there tomorrow. Thanks for looking for me.

If I bought some, would it be best to gradually change him over from NM to that over a few days? He's only fully been on NM for 4 days.

23. Cherish4

Cherish4 Member

That's good to know thanks. I'm assuming there's a variety of flavours as Little B gets bored having the same flavour?

Also is there a guide on the cans on how much to feed them? He's currently a little overweight (is 6.5kg and should be 5kg) and the plan is to gradually get him to slim down but to begin with I'm supposed to give him the amount of food for the weight that he is.

24. Diana&Tom

Yes always best to change any food gradually, adding a little of the new food to the existing food at first and then gradually increasing the amount of new at each meal - saves possible tummy upsets from too quick a transition, plus cats have to get used to a new taste and texture.

Not sure about flavours of Butcher's but most brands do meat and fish varieties. If you can't find Butcher's there are others you could look for such as Hi Life, again low carb and a reasonable price I think. Poultry is usually a good bet as some cats are allergic to beef and it's not advised to feed fish too often. A good chicken brand is Sainsbury's Delicious which has a higher meat content than many supermarket brands and actually looks like real chicken!

As for quantity, hard to say - cats' appetites vary so much, and an unregulated diabetic will always be hungry so often need more food than usual. Have you noticed an increase in appetite?

Cherish4 likes this.
  25. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

If you buy the meaty pack there's beef game and chicken in that one. In the variety there's chicken beef haddock and ocean fish.

Pets at home normally have an offer on the variety ones we just got 48 cans for 20 pounds.
    http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/classic-meat-in-jelly-cat-food-tins-400gm-24-pack?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&cm_mmc=Google-_-CPC-_- google_shopping-_-google_shopping&ita=1976&ito=google_shopping&CAWELAID=120267720000000538&gclsrc=aw.ds&&cm_mmc=&ito=GAG43970341133&itc=GAC206943665227&itkw=nil&itaexid=&itawnw=search&itawmt=&itadvc=m&gclid=CjwKCAiA4t_iBRApEiwAn-vt-0C1_xHNDIvwetww3xdqDH1fnG5l_A5bsmaxMDtXdgjnIfBawAd3hhoCM9UQAvD_BwE

Each of my cats gets 300g each a day there indoor cats

Cherish4 likes this.
  26. Diana&Tom

If there's a Sainsbury's near you, look for this - I'm a fan as it has a high meat content and actually looks nice too!

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/sainsburys-tdc-chicken-collection-6x85g

Also meant to say earlier - when you're looking for foods, be sure to get the ones labelled "complete" which mean they are balanced and have all the nutrients cats need. Some brands are only "complementary" which means they are not as above, and should be supplemented with other foods that are complete to provide a healthy diet.

Cherish4 likes this.
  27. Cherish4

Cherish4 Member

Great, appreciate you letting me know thank you.

Becki and sox likes this.
  28. Cherish4

Cherish4 Member

That's what I did with the NM food so If I get some Butcher's then I will do the same, thank you.

Making a note of all of this thank you. It's meant a lot to have people like you trying to help and I feel a lot better now than I did earlier.

I think there's been a bit of an increase but it's hard to say by how much. He's always been a cat that's after food. Every time I go in the kitchen he thinks it's meal time!

29. Cherish4

Cherish4 Member

There is a Sainsbury's a short bus ride away so I can definitely take a look!

I never even realised there was 'complete' and 'complementary' in the foods so I appreciate the heads up.

30. Diana&Tom

The good thing about getting to grips with FD is that you add to your general cat health/welfare knowledge whicn can only be a good thing.
    Try to stay positive! Where there's a will there's a way...

Cherish4 likes this.
  31. Cherish4

Cherish4 Member

So unfortunately I couldn't get Butchers Classic in town as Wilko has stopped selling it but I took the bus to Sainsbury's yesterday and picked up a pack of six cans for Little B to try. I've put a small amount mixed in with his NM food this afternoon and he's eaten it which is good news. If I end up giving him it permanently then I'm going to have to buy as many as I can carry from Sainsbury's otherwise the price of the bus fare would make it not worth it.

Anyway I was just wondering about the difference between NM and BC in terms of calories and carbs. Does the difference matter as he's not yet on insulin? NM is higher in calories per 100 grams, they're roughly the same in calories per ounce and BC is higher in carbs than NM.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

32. Diana&Tom

That's good that you found some Butcher's, it certainly is one of the very lowest-carb brands you can feed, and it should work out a lot cheaper than NM too (by the way, where are you buying that from? I think you said the vet suggested it but if they sold it to you, it would doubtless be dearer than you could get it for elsewhere. On the website I use, Fetch, NM Country Hunter is even dearer than standard NM pouches which are just as good and about £7.50 for a box of 12. The CH ones are about a pound more. So whatever you feed, it's worth shopping around).

As for the difference in nutritional values - it could be significant for a diabetic cat not on insulin, yes, in as much as a lower carb food might be lowering the bg more than a slightly higher carb food. At present, for a cat not on insulin, both thrse brands should be ok, but it would be better to have a meter and be in a position to test bg if you start giving insulin at some point. Then you'd be able to see what effect both foods have on bg. Ideally, it's good to get the kitty settled on a regular diet before an insulin regime is begun so you can be more confident of what any dose of insulin is doing on any one food.

What's happening with getting a bg check at the vet to see if insulin is going to be needed? I can't remember. I know ir seems an uphill battle but getting a good quality low carb food is a good start.

Cherish4 likes this.
  33. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

You can order the butchers classic from pets at home and they do do home delivery if that's any good :D

Cherish4 likes this.
  34. Diana&Tom

Yes good point, it may work out better to buy food in bulk and get free delivery... with Fetch www.fetch.co.uk that I use, orders of £29 and up are free, and I expect Pets at Home would be similar. With three cats to feed I imagine you'd find it easier anyway to get home delivery rather than staggering home on the bus with lots of tins or boxes! Another option would be to get hold of a shopping trolley (they're not just for old ladies!) and taking that to the supermarket to stock up.

Cherish4 and Becki and sox like this.
  35. Cherish4

Cherish4 Member

Good to know, thanks. :)

36. Cherish4

Cherish4 Member

I'll have a look at Fetch and Pets At Home and if necessary I can rope my brother into helping me stock up!

37. Cherish4

Cherish4 Member

I've been buying NM Country Hunter from my local Waitrose but unfortunately they don't stock the standard one. We used to have a Just For Pets shop in town which was great as they sold all kinds of food like NM etc... but they closed last year.

Thanks for the info. I've got a meter now btw, it arrived yesterday. I've read through all the info with it and tested on myself to get a feel for it and I plan on starting to try testing this weekend although there aren't many strips with it. I have ordered some more on ebay but they won't arrive until at least Wednesday next week. I'll try and put all his details in my signature tomorrow if I can and also set up a spreadsheet.

He's due back there tomorrow. I had to wait until I got confirmation that my local RSPCA could cover the cost. I imagine we'll discuss it then and I'll add the infor to my signature when I know what's happening.

Diana&Tom and Becki and sox like this.
  38. Kham

Kham New Member

I want to offer advise, but I know not all Kitties will respond the same.

I was in a very similar boat - when Vinnie got diagnosed, I was unemployed and in a desperate financial position. The same month, my rottie fell in a pool and tore his ACL, the vet was quoting $1700 just for the dog. Vinnie's diagnosis ended up costing around $600. He had lost over half his body weight, the damn vet wanted me to buy that Hills crap at $2.70/can. Well, he was so thin and hungry - for the first 3 months of treatment, he was literally eating 4 cans of cat food a day. The cost of food, sugar strips, insulin, syringes... was so overwhelming.

I looked online for help. I found a chart of low-carb food, and learned how to analyze the nutritional data on cat food. After a lot of searching, I tried giving him Friskies Pate. I tried to stick to the seafood blends that are lower carb. I threw away ALL dry food. Friskies is really affordable, I can buy 32 cans at a time for under $20.

I started with a bottle of insulin and syringes - but after a few months discovered the Lantus Solostars at walmart. I now buy 6 months worth of insulin for $100/CAN. No syringes and giving him the correct dose is so freaking simple. You just turn the dial, poke him and push. Check them out if you haven't already.

I tried taking sugar readings, but dammit that's so difficult. After weeks of barely every getting a good reading - I found the Freestyle sugar machine for dirt cheap(also at Walmart). You get the machine for free if you buy the strips.

After the first 6 months, I quit taking daily readings. Vinnie was back up to his normal weight and eating 2 cans of food/day.

About 2 years later, someone commented that he looked skinny. I weighed him and sure enough, he'd lost weight. I took a reading and gasped!! His sugar was hitting 18. I started increasing his dose, one 1/2 unit at a time. Waiting a week between modifications. It took almost 6 weeks to stabilize him again - and now he was at 5 units/day of insulin.

Vinnie is now 16(7 years later). He's the most healthy 16 year old cat I've ever seen. When I see other geriatric cats, all thin and emancipated - I can't help but wonder how often does CD go undiagnosed in older cats? I'm thinking it's way more common than we know - but most people just think their cat is old, when it might be suffering from high blood sugar.

Recently, he's started eating a lot less and he seemed dopey quite a bit of the time. I slowly reduced his insulin to 2 units/day and he's doing really well again.

I really wish that I could take all the credit for his great health today - I wish I could tell all diabetic cat owners to not bother taking readings - just feed your cat Friskies and give him Solostar - but I fear I may be one of the fortunate ones that got lucky with how he responds to how I treat him. I don't want to give out any irresponsible advice, all I can really say is - try not to worry and stress too much. Get his sugar levels stabilized and don't get suckered into buying expensive food. When you modify his insulin - don't expect immediate results, it could take a week for the differences to show. Don't be discouraged when you try to take readings - it might take some practice before you can do it quickly. Don't feel bad if you can only get 1 or 2 readings a day - it gets easier the more you do it. Find the thread where the lady posts the sweet spot on the ear - that's the easiest way that I know. You have to warm the ear up first, and you have to get over the bruise/cut/scab on his ear - it heals. I am a guy, typical in not being very responsible or attentive at times.

Don't ever double dose - it could be fatal. I made it a personal policy that if I ever can't remember if I dosed him or not - don't give him a dose. It's always safer for him to have high blood sugar, rather than low blood sugar. If you think you dosed, but can't remember always err on the side of caution.

For what it's worth - no vet has seen him during the last 7 years. After I begged the vet to find ways to help me cut costs - she told me to bring in his pee, but not him(I live an hour from the vet). I arrived with a urine sample and she shamelessly charged me $30 to use 1 glucose strip (YES! 1 freaking 50 cent strip) - confirmed that he had diabetes(this is after $500 worth of blood tests that already showed he had really high blood sugar). I had to bring him back for another $50 appointment, just so she could show me how to stick him with a needle and pet-shame me into buying her expensive in-house Hills crap food. I never took him back, but took on the responsibility myself for his health. This might be really bad advice, but it's worked for us.

~Shane

Amina&M'row and Cherish4 like this.
  39. Diana&Tom

Good progress! Spending some time getting to know the meter will be time very well spent. And yes, get your brother to help with getting food in, or look online - Waitrose is nearly always dearer than anywhere else. And standard NM is just as good as the CH one - CH just has a few extra things in it that may or may not be useful. I buy NM chicken and turkey, box of 12 for £7.48, so ordering four boxes at a time gives me free delivery.

Cherish4 likes this.
  40. Cherish4

Cherish4 Member

Hi Shane,

Thank you for the suggestions regarding food and the solostar, however as I live in the UK they're not stuff that's available over here.

I do appreciate you sharing your story and your journey with your cat though. Whilst every cat is different, it never hurts to get a variety of perspectives so thank you.

Also regarding the vet, this is the argument I was having with my brother earlier. Whilst you can of course listen to their advice, they don't always know best and they have become a business just like everywhere else

41. Amina&M'row

Amina&M'row Member

This helps me: when I check BG, I feed and give insulin at the same time, and I write the values down at the same time. M'row's on lantus, so that's twice a day. Once a day, at bedtime, I weigh his water dish, see how much he's drunk in the past 24 hours, and write that down. I replace the water, fill the bowl up to 8 oz water, and put it out again. So if he starts out at 8 oz water in the bowl and there's only 6 oz the next day, he's drunk 2 oz water over that time period. I write this down too, at the time when I replace water. Helps me keep track of what's going on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.