Feeling really, really overwhelmed.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by wednesdaysky, Mar 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wednesdaysky

wednesdaysky New Member

Hi everybody. I'd say it's nice to meet you all but let's be honest, I wish I wasn't here. I just got the diagnosis for my 6 year old cat. I can't stop crying. I don't know what to do. I love my cat a lot and I've always tried to buy him good quality food, tried to get him playing and stuff, and I feel like I've failed him. I have health problems of my own and I'm already not really able to afford insurance and doctor visits, and the vet just prescribed a $350 bottle of Lantus and a $40 crate of Hill's W/D. I went ahead and bought the Hill's although since my cat's supposed to be getting a can and a half a day or so (he is not quite 17 lbs), with that price for 24 cans I don't know if I can keep doing it. My pharmacist showed me that there were cheaper Lantus SoloStar pens available so I opted for one of those for now, but I'm really worried that if I don't follow vet directions I'm going to do something wrong and hurt or kill my cat. I'm pretty bad with numbers and complicated schedules, to be honest. I don't know how to do this.

While I'm here though, can I ask some advice?

1) The pharmacist sold me the needle attachments that go with the SoloStar pens, but I see people on here seem to use regular syringes with them. WIll I be able to use the needle attachments, or do I totally need to get syringes? I don't really understand what the difference is here. I see there's also some talk about 40 vs 100 syringes, but I don't understand this either.

2) Previously my cat has been on a dry-food, free-feed diet. Dosage directions for the Lantus says it needs to be given when my cat has had a meal, and he's now getting W/D wet food per vet's orders. I see people on here talking about how suddenly switching a diabetic cat's food can be really dangerous, but the vet didn't say anything about this to me. Maybe because he's a little on the milder side, I don't know? (measured at 258) How should I be transitioning from dry-food free-feed to wet-food scheduled-meal? He's not a picky eater at all, I'm just worried about hurting him.

Thank you all for listening. I'm really scared for my cat. I just don't want to screw this up.

2. Marycatmom

Marycatmom Well-Known Member

Welcome! I know just what you mean about feeling overwhelmed. This is a lot to take in at once. The good news is that you are in the right place. There are many experienced members here who can guide you through the ropes. A month from now, you are going to feel like things are so much more under control.

I'm not an experienced member, so I am limited in how much I can advise you, but I can tell you a few things that will help you get started.

1. You mention that you are scared for your cat. One thing we do here that can help you feel a lot better about your cat's safe (mind if I ask his name?) is to home test. Now don't let your vet talk you into an expensive Alphatraks meter. You can pick up an inexpensive human meter and test strips at Walmart. Many of us use a Relion Micro or a Relion Confirm. Just go to the pharmacy, and tell them what you want. They'll help you. Be sure to get test strips as well as a meter. You will be able to test and track kitty's blood glucose yourself, which will save you a boatload of money. My vet charges $60 to $80 to run what's called a curve. I can do it myself at home for under $5. Once you get the meter, there are videos that we can send you to that will show you how to use it. It takes a little practice, but it's doable. A meter will also allow you to know you're cat's blood sugar, so you can be sure it's safe to give him insulin. Huge peace of mind!

2. Your pharmacist was very smart to have you buy a pen instead of a vial. I'm in the process of changing from a vial to pens, so I'm not much help in this department. I do know that you draw up the insulin with a syringe. You need a U100 size. Again, just go to Walmart and ask them for Relion U100 syringes. There are videos here on how to draw up the insulin. We'll be learning that together.

3. As far as changing food at the same time as starting insulin, I don't have enough experience to advise you. The one thing I will say is that prescription foods are overpriced and unnecessary. Fancy Feast classics and Friskies pate foods are just as good and way less expensive.

I wish I could be more help, but someone who knows much more than I do will be along to help you. Meanwhile, take a few deep breathes and know that you will be able to do this. You are not alone. We are all here with you and we will walk you through this.

KPassa likes this.
  3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to you and your kitty. :)

Before I go further, here's a :bighug:.

People say here that it's the best place you never wanted to be if your cat is diabetic, and it's true. Getting the diagnosis and being faced with having to learn a lot quickly is overwhelming and scary. Most, if not all, of the members have been where you are now and it does get better. I promise. You have found a great place to get help and support, and to learn how to help your little one and to keep him safe.

First up, it's great that your pharmacist gave you the pen cartridge of Lantus. It is much more cost effective than the vials because cats tend to need small doses of insulin and usually the Lantus loses its potency before all the insulin in the vial can be used up so the vials are wasteful.

Lantus is a U100 insulin. The 'U' rating tells you about the concentration of the insulin and you need to use syringes that match the concentration. Therefore you need to use U100 syringes. (I don't have any experience of using the needle attachments. Other members will be able to tell you more about them, but I think the norm here is to draw up insulin from the pen cartridge using a syringe. I'm assuming you're in the States. Our US members will be able to tell you where to get the right syringes at the best price.

The good news is that you don't need to feed your kitty with prescription foods. Many commercial foods are better quality and have lower carbs than the Hills w/d canned food. I think most of the US members here feed their cats with the low carb varieties of Friskies and Fancy Feast (Classics, I think). Again, we have food lists here that will help you to find something to suit your little one (and your pocket! :) ).

You are right that switching to a lower carb food needs to be done carefully when a kitty is receiving insulin because the change in carb content can drop blood glucose significantly and quite quickly. We strongly recommend learning to home test your kitty's blood glucose and we can help you with that, too. We recommend that you don't change food until you are home testing. Once you are, you can gradually transition your kitty to the lower carb food while monitoring his blood glucose (BG) levels and making adjustments to his insulin dose as needed. Another benefit of home testing is that it will give you reliable readings that aren't influenced by vet stress (which can elevate BG), and it will save you money because you will be able to run curves at home. (A curve is where you take BG readings at regular intervals after giving insulin to see how well it is working over a 12-hour period.) You can then share the test results with your vet. :)

I hope some of the above helps. I remember how scared and overwhelmed I was when my cat, Saoirse, was diagnosed. I have learned so much here, and I've also received wonderful support. You will, too. :)

KPassa and Elizabeth and Bertie like this.
  4. Critter Mom

Ask for the U100 syringes with half-unit markings. They make it easier to fine tune doses. :)

Edited to add:

Store the Lantus cartridge in the main part of your fridge. It will help it to last longer. When you're ready, here's a link to some information about handling and storing Lantus.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/lantus-levemir-info-proper-handling-storage.151/

5. wednesdaysky

wednesdaysky New Member

Thank you all for the replies. I'm still feeling pretty overwhelmed so I'll try to get back here and reply properly after I've had some time to calm down. For now I want to ask a couple more essential questions though since I kind of need to know this immediately:

I do not have any regular syringes, and it's too late today to get to anywhere selling them that's open. (I live in a rural area) So I went ahead and administered the first dose of insulin with the SoloStar needle attachments that I was already sold. I was more worried about him not getting any insulin at all than problems with the needle, but can I ask why people here don't use the SoloStar attachments, aside from them being expensive? Thank you.

And about refrigerating the Lantus: The SoloStar instruction packet specifically says that it should not be refrigerated after first use. Is it really okay to put it in the fridge?

Thank you again so much.

6. Martha and Lolly

Martha and Lolly Member

Hi! I felt just like you two months ago-- scared and overwhelmed. You are at the best place you can be for you and your kitty. Experienced people will walk you through everything. Definitely dump the Hills! You don't need to be spending that kind of money for food that frankly isn't as good for your kitty as frisk's pate or fancy feast classic. I feed my diabetic cat Fancy Feast classic. I hear you when you say you are---

Don't worry- the people on this message board have years of practical experience managing feline diabetes, that vets do not always have unless they personally have a diabetic cat. The first vet I took Lolly to told me not to bother home testing, and to give her 2units of insulin twice a day. If I hadn't purchased a glucometer and tested her, my cat would not be here today, as the dose was much too high. It was the people on this board who helped me when I gave her too much insulin, and showed me how to regulate her diabetes. My cat is in remission now.

So take a deep breath. And another. And just one more. We won't steer you wrong. But the most important thing you can do right now to ease your worries and make your kitty safe is to buy a glucometer, lancets, and test strips so you can test your kitty's blood sugar. Go to Walmart and get a Relion Confirm or Micro for under $20. A box of 50 Relion test strips will run you $20, and you'll need to get a box of lancets, 28 gauge, 100 for $20.

In the beginning, you'll go through a lot of test strips and lancets as you get your kitty's diabetes under control. Once regulated, you won't have to buy nearly as much. But getting started on the blood testing is the most important thing now. When you are ready to test, here are some great links on how to test:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/bg-test.htm

When you start testing, we can help you and your kitty much better if we can see how her tests are going. We all use a grid to record our kitty's blood glucose levels. Don't worry - there are no mathematics involved, its just a recording device. Here are directions to create one:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...te-a-ss-and-link-it-in-your-signature.130337/

One of our members can do this for you-- someone created mine:)- as it may be too overwhelming right now.

You and your kitty (what is his/here name?) are in the right place. :bighug::bighug: Hugs to both of you. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Critter Mom

I can't help with the needle attachment question (I think the answer may be to do with dosing accuracy), but yes it is really OK to refrigerate the Lantus. That advice came from my vet and the FDMB recommendations are the same. Lantus is a human insulin. The 'do not refrigerate' instruction applies to human diabetics, not cats.

It is important to store the pen cartidge upright (with the seal at the top) in the body of the fridge so that the temperature is as even as possible and so that the insulin cartridge doesn't get knocked about.

8. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. I agree, a diagnosis of FD is overwhelming to begin with - so much information to take in and only a short time to learn.

It looks like you've already got a lot of good information today, and I understand we're probably overloading you with info right now. But I agree, the prescription food is completely unnecessary. I was told to use a prescription diet, but the Fancy Feast Classic Pates or the Friskies Classic Pates are a fraction of the price and are actually lower in carbs than the prescription foods!

You can refrigerate the Solostar pens after opening as long as you're using a separate syringe for dosing, not the Solostar attachments. Refrigeration messes with the way the pen works, not the Lantus itself. Oh, and for future purchases of Lantus you might want to look at Canadian pharmacies instead of buying locally - they're often significantly cheaper.

You will find you want to use U100 syringes, not the Solostar attachment anyway. You can get much smaller dose adjustments using a regular syringe - the pen isn't designed for the micro-dosing that many (if not all) cats need at least at times. Then you just use the pen cartridge like a mini-vial and draw up the dose into the regular syringe.

What I can tell you having started here myself only a matter of weeks ago, feeling just as confused as you must be now, is that there is always help available here on this board. And it really does get better no matter how much you might think at the moment that it can't. :bighug:

KPassa and Critter Mom like this.
  9. Critter Mom

@manxcat419 -

Thanks for clarifying the issue with the pen cartridge, April. Would it be better for wednesdaysky to not refrigerate the pen cartridge until (s)he gets syringes?

10. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Yes, it's ok to go ahead and use the pen needle attachments for dosing. The reason we don't suggest using the pen needle attachments and suggest that you use insulin syringes instead, is that the insulin syringes allow you to give smaller doses. The pen needle attachments only allow dosing changes in 1U increments. If you get 3/10 cc insulin syringes with 1/2 unit markings on the insulin syringe barrel, you'll be able to give doses in 0.25U increments.

Yes, as others have said, it's perfectly ok to store the Lantus insulin in the refrigerator.

KPassa likes this.
  11. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

If she needs to use the pen needle again in the morning before she can get the regular syringes, I wouldn't refrigerate tonight. It might be fine - others may have experience of that - I just know it's not recommended when using the pen attachments (we have a kid on the pens and Rosa on the Lantus vial so I know the instructions do differ).

KPassa and Critter Mom like this.
  12. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

KPassa likes this.
  13. Critter Mom

Hi Wednesdaysky,

Just checking in to see how you and your little one are doing today.

:bighug:

14. jillmerg

jillmerg Member

I recently came here for help & I'm so glad I did! I cant' thank them enough! My cat had a tooth abscess, high 700's glucose readings. The vet tx with inj. antibiotic &slowly raised her insulin dose to 4 units which brought her down. We started wet Purina DM without transitioning from the Hills w/d dry. She ended up hypoglycemic & having a seizure last month! Scared & completely overwhelmed, I turned to this group & now I'm home testing & Princess seems to be back to herself now. My advice to you is just to read up, take notes & don't be shy when talking to your vet. Mine suggested an expensive home meter(alphatrak) , I bought a Relion Confirm & told him I wanted to first practice with that one & he was happy with that= $$ saved . He loved that I was keeping trck with the spreedsheet. His only thing he didn't want was for me to change(increase) her dose without him & I won't. Take a breath & Trust your gut. I use Novolin N insulin ($24 -walmart), a case of Purina DM($40), Relion (walmart) meter & accessories-(least expensive). I see many feed FF classic too. If I ever need a diff. insulin/more expensive , I would make up the cost by changing to a less expensive food. There's ways to make it work for you & your kitty. Good luck:cat:

15. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Welcome! :bighug:

One thing I didn't see mentioned is that you can return the Hill's and get a refund under the Hill's guarantee. Just tell the vet your cat stopped eating it.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.