Feline diabetes runny stool

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by thomaslane, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thomaslane

thomaslane New Member

This is my initial post, due to the fact that I just found this web site and have registered as a new member. I have several cats, with one having been diagnosed with feline diabetes. I have him well-regulated (according to my vet) but have been plagued with him having continual bouts of very loose/runny stool. I am currently administering (per my vet's direction) 3-units of Lantus/twice per-day, and 3 cc's of Panacur/once per-day. I would sincerely appreciate feedback from anyone who has had a similar experience with a feline/anyone who has solved the aforementioned problem. Thank you in advance.

2. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Welcome! If you could give us a little more info, it would be helpful.

What is the panacur for, and how long is/has he been taking it?

What are you feeding him? Brand, type (wet or dry)? Have you changed his diet recently?

Does he have any other health issues?

That information will help people to give you suggestions. I have seen fortiflora suggested quite often for diarrhea, but please give us a little more information and I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

3. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

I've also heard that yogurt with live cultures helps too. Oh and canned pumpkin.

4. thomaslane

thomaslane New Member

Per my vet's instructions, "Andy" has been on Panacur to help with the runny stool situation for approximately 5-days...prior to the Panacur, we had him on Metronidazole (same issue). He doesn't have any other apparent health issues with which to contend. He feeds on Science Diet WD, moist and dry (has been on this food for a couple of weeks). I tried him on plain yogurt...he wouldn't touch it. I have a great vet, and I trust her advice and direction. However, I just thought this forum might provide me with further intelligence in attempting to do the best thing for "Andy". Thank you.

5. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the Science Diet WD could be part of the cause of your Andy's problems. The whole thing with prescribing W/D for feline diabetes was because of aggressive marketing by the Hills company. It is pretty old school for vets to prescribe this food anymore. We realized that years ago on this site. This diet is actually a weightloss/maintenance diet and has lots of fiber in it which is supposed to give them a full feeling. Then someone had the idea that fiber also is supposed to slow the rate of glucose absorption from the intestine and minimize fluctuations in blood glucose. But the ingredients are awful and it is very high in carbs which just raises the bg values. There are much better choices than any of the prescription diets for feline diabetes.

Here is what Dr. Lisa Pierson has to say on the subject. You might want to check out her whole site on feline nutrition and feline diabetes:

http://www.catinfo.org/?link=felinediabetes

"Contrary to what is often believed, many, if not all, of the so-called prescription diets sold in veterinary hospitals are not formulated for optimal health of a carnivore. Many of these products contain corn, wheat, and soy which have no logical place in your cat's diet and these diets are often very high in carbohydrates. Many of them also contain by-products as the main - and often only - source of protein.

By-products are cheaper than muscle meat so one would think that as much as the prescription diets cost, these companies could use a more consistent source of high quality protein. These diets do not give the client much 'bang for their buck'. It would be a very rare occasion for me to use any of these prescription diets as there are much better choices on the 'over-the-counter' market that leave more money in the client's wallet.

Unfortunately, most veterinarians are very poorly educated in the area of nutrition. This field of study is not emphasized in veterinary school. Also, if you consider the fact that many of the people teaching this subject in our veterinary schools, and advising general practitioners, have a monetary tie to the pet food industry, you will see an obvious conflict of interest.

This leads general practitioners to often base their dietary recommendations on information obtained directly or indirectly from the pet food industry – an industry that does not always have your cat’s best interest in mind when formulating their products. In most instances, you will be paying far more money than you should be for the low quality, species-inappropriate ingredients that many of these prescription products contain.

It is also important to note that most of these prescription diets have no clinical studies behind them to support their use in treating the various diseases that they target.

I would love to see veterinarians break out of the prescription diet ‘box’ and consider the use of higher quality, lower cost, over-the-counter diets.

In summary, try not to drive yourself nuts when picking out a canned cat food. The fact that you are feeding canned food and not dry food is 90% of the battle so just do the best that you can - given the information above.

If you want a more detailed discussion regarding pet food labels, see Commercial Foods."

It would be best if you were hometesting if you aren't already. We can help you with that. If you switch Andy to a lower carb canned food his insulin needs will be drastically reduced. So it would be best if you lowered his dose first and were hometesting before switching.

You can get additional help on the Lantus Insulin Support Group here on this site.

The Panacur is for worms, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.