Feline Diabetes Survery - Please Take My Survey!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PreVetStudent, Mar 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PreVetStudent

PreVetStudent New Member

Hello
    My name is Brianna, and I am a pre-veterinary student doing a research paper on feline diabetes. As part of my research, I have come up with a brief survey (9 questions) that i was hoping a few owners of diabetic cats would be willing to take. The results of the survey will be used in my research paper. My paper is an "Owner's Guide to Feline Diabetes Mellitus".
    Please let me know if you have any questions for me or about the survey, and thank you in advance for your help!
    Sincerely,
    Brianna

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SGGYCJW

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Brianna

Do you realize that Lente/Ultralente (as in Humulin L and Humulin U) have been discontinued for quite some time?

Jennifer

3. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

4. Jen and Oreo (GA)

Jen and Oreo (GA) Well-Known Member

5. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

6. cjleo

cjleo Member

Brianna,

As Jennifer mentioned, U and L were discontinued at least 5 years ago. Being a human Type 1, I remember when I could no longer get pork/beef based U. If was a difficult transition to the Humulin U. Then that was discontinued as well.

Claudia

7. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Let's keep bumping this toward the top so more members see it.

Thank you Brianna for giving us the opportunity to help with your paper.

8. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Done! Has anyone put a link in the other forums? I put a link over in Lantus.

Brianna, this board is an incredible resource on FD.Hang around for a while. You'll get lots of useful information. :D

9. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Hope you get an A+!!! :mrgreen:

10. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Done!!!

As others have said, stick around, read all the stickies in all the different insulin support groups, monitor some of the posts here in health, follow the links you see being given to the newbies etc, and you will have a world class paper. :D

You might even be able to teach your professor a thing or two...lol

Thanks
    Mel, Max & The Fur Gang

11. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

12. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

Done! & I was one to use the L/U option since Cuddles was diabetic & using Humulin U back in the day. Hope it's ok to fill it out if they're no longer with us!

13. JenElliot

JenElliot Member

Done!

We would love to read your paper when it's done too! :razz:

14. Amanda

Amanda Member

Done! Now go back and tell all of your classmates the RIGHT way to treat this disease. ;-)

15. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

done...good luck

16. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

Done and thanks!

The wonderful Humulin U and L are discontinued, but since the survey asked if I EVER had a diabetic cat, I was glad to see them still listed, since that was what I used.

Best of luck!

17. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

stupid question, is a diabetic in remission still "insulin dependent" ?

18. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

I wish there had been an option to give information on more than 1 diabetic cat. So many people here have or had many diabetic cats. Each cat's information would be different.

19. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Filled it out on Tiggy's behalf -- it would be nice if we could fill it out for EACH diabetic cat that we treat / have treated.

Also -- adding a question about dose and/or insulin resistance conditions might be useful.

Brianna, we have found a significant occurence of Acromegaly, IAA and Cushings

20. PreVetStudent

PreVetStudent New Member

Wow what a great response!!! Thank you all for helping me out! I was hoping to get 50 responses, but now I'm hoping for even more :D. I decided to include Lente/Ultrelente since this forum seems to have members who may not have diabetic kitties now, but did in the past. You guys are extremely knowledgeable!
    To Lisa and Merlyn (GA) - I would say a diabetic in remission is not insulin dependent anymore, since he makes all the insulin he uses himself.
    To Phoebe_Tiggy_NortonGA - If you have more than one diabetic kitty, please fill the survey out more than once! (Assuming surveymonkey will let you, which I'm not sure of)

THANK YOU ALL!!

21. Ann & Tess GA

You can't do the srvey more than once. I tried to go back to look at the questions again and couldn't get to it.

22. PreVetStudent

PreVetStudent New Member

Ann & Tess - That was probably my fault, I logged in to look at the responses so far. Will it let you try now? Thank you for helping me out!

23. Ann & Tess GA

No, I get the Thank You screen.

24. PreVetStudent

PreVetStudent New Member

Aw that stinks.... I will see if there is a way I can edit it in surveymonkey. Thank you for letting me know!

25. drjsiems

drjsiems Member

26. Wulfwin

Wulfwin Member

Done - and a bumb :smile:

27. Sonia & Tom (GA)

Sonia & Tom (GA) Well-Known Member

Done and bump!

28. Just-As-Appy

Just-As-Appy Member

Done. Nice to see a student taking an interest in this disease.

29. Becky and AJ (GA)

Becky and AJ (GA) Member

Done. Thanks.

30. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Taken.

You could add more questions about current food brands and types (check all that apply: dry, canned, raw), durations fed each variety, and about what was being fed before the diagnosis.

You may end up with results similar to other studies if you don't ask different questions.

31. Jana+BK+Chester(GA)+Wilbur

Jana+BK+Chester(GA)+Wilbur Member

32. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

You came to the right place, here!
    Hope your professor listens about hometesting and maybe YOU can make a difference - THANKS!

33. Jan and Buddy

Jan and Buddy Member

DONE. I didn't write it in the survey but my cat is an IAA cat. You might want to go to the ISG , Acromegaly/IAA/Cushing Cats.
    There is ALOT of good info in there, something that MOST Vets don't have a clue about!!!!
    Thanks, You might be the one to change the way Vets practice.

34. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Thank you for allowing us to participate.. our voices are rarely listened to & I find it absolutely awesome you are taking the time to research & educate.
    I took the survey & would be happy to any future too ;-)

35. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Brianna,

Done! So glad you're interested in this topic. Many of us have gotten inaccurate, even dangerous, information from vets who were inadequately informed about feline diabetes. Without this website, I would have lost my cat.

Please let your professors know how many of us cat parents want to and are able to be well-informed, active participants in guiding our diabetic cats toward health.

Good luck with your studies!

36. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Done, on my current diabetic. Can't get in a second time for my first diabetic.

Good luck.

37. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Done. I have had 4 diabetic cats so I tried to add additional information in my comments. Hopefully there is not a character limitation that cuts off the information. :mrgreen:

38. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

I could only fill out the survey once myself and I have two litter mates that have been dx together with FD.
    There is a lot more information on FD on this site that will help you actually treat the condition with the most up-to-date protocol. Hope you will be able to come back and share your report with us. We would all be willing to help you out in any way...
    I wish you well, Brianna! :mrgreen:

39. kphmitten

kphmitten Member

40. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Bump, to keep it to the beginning of the forum. Please share your results with us when you completed your survey.

41. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Hi - I took it with my former diabetic in mind. I had another too and would fill it out again if it would let me. If you have any other questions or need any other information you should ask! You've got a huge audience of very willing participants here!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.