Feline diabetic neuropathy?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rardito, Jul 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rardito

Rardito Member

I have read about feline diabetic neuropathy. One of the vets that checked Mitsy before she was diagnosed with diabetes said it looked like she had muscle wasting in her back legs (yet they still just said behavior issues at the time...). She is sometimes shaky when she walks but she usually walks/stands slinked down and sometimes stands with her wrists folded underneath her. However, she has never walked on her hocks. I ordered the zobaline that was linked in one of the articles on the forum in case she has it. My question is, is it possible for her to have it and not walk on her hocks? And secondly, is it okay to give the zobaline if for some reason she doesn't have it and I'm wrong? I'm going to attempt to upload a picture of how she walks. 20180729_090513.jpg 20180725_165833.jpg

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Unless she has very compromised kidneys it's safe to give. Extra b12 just gets peed out. Poor kitty, that's heartbreaking

Rardito likes this.
  3. Rardito

Rardito Member

When they did her bloodwork he specifically told me her kidneys looked fine, the only thing he noticed was her high sugar. So that's good to know, thank you!

4. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Leo had horrible neuropathy. It is a common discussion topic here - you may want to look at other threads. We resolved it for Leo. The keys to success:
    - regulation of the diabetes, to keep your cat out of high blood glucose numbers
    - B12 Zobaline

Like I said, there are many other threads about this. It is a horrible condition, but usually resolvable. Kudos to you for getting Mitsy's spreadsheet going, and for the insulin treatments.

beggargirl and Rardito like this.
  5. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

The zobaline is safe for kitties. It takes time to work though. Getting the blood glucose under control is the key. You can also add powdered egg whites to food to help the muscle wasting I notice in your picture. Make sure only ingredient is egg white. Not the egg protein stuff athletes use.

Rardito likes this.
  6. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

More info here: Feline Diabetic Neuropathy (weak back legs).

Start methyl B12 with the typical starting dose of 3mg dose, but if you're not seeing results, gradually increase the dose. Some cats will end up on as much as 10 mg methyl B12 daily before things start looking better. Read the link I gave you. It'll help.

Good luck!

Rardito likes this.
  7. Rardito

Rardito Member

So for the egg whites... I'm actually vegan so I have no clue where to get those... are they in grocery stores or will I have to order online?

8. Olive & Paula

You can try store or healthfood store but it usually has other ingredients. I get this, I wanted it in a jar since I'm in high humidity. There are others sizes and brands. Just check ingredients.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0094UAO6W/ref=pe_3083530_257439340_em_1p_0_ti

Rardito likes this.
  9. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

10. Rardito

Rardito Member

11. Rardito

Rardito Member

Yes those are good questions. Does anyone know?

12. Olive & Paula

1/4 to 1/2 tsp daily. I don't think it constipates but I also give pumpkin every morning in breakfast and the egg white in another meal.

Phoebes (GA) and Rardito like this.
  13. Rardito

Rardito Member

Thank you so much!!

Phoebes (GA) and Olive & Paula like this.
  14. Rardito

Rardito Member

So I've been on the forums a lot today, just exploring and trying to learn as much as I can. However... it got me thinking that Mitsy might have something else wrong with her. I was reading the acromelagy and cushing's forums and I can't help but think it sounds like her. The pot belly, the hair loss around her stomach, the muscle wasting... she has had one pupil that is slightly bigger than the other one for a few years and the vet had thought she may have a brain tumor but said it would be $2000 and an out of county trip to diagnose. That was in June of 2016 when she had been peeing outside of the litterbox. She was otherwise acting fine. A couple months later she stopped peeing outside of the box and all was normal again.

Well the peeing outside of the litterbox started this year again (in June again) which is what ultimately led to the diabetes diagnosis. However this time she had hair loss and muscle wasting and was acting disoriented constantly. They thought her hair loss and peeing were behavior issues. But now I'm wondering if she actually has one of these other diseases. She is still peeing outside of the box and still acts disoriented a lot of the time, and also leans to one side a lot.

I thought she would start to show some improvement by now (I mean just a little, I know she only started insulin 7/16). At least with the disorientation.

I don't know if I'm just being crazy or what. This is all so overwhelming. I didn't start a new thread because I feel bad for starting so many lately, but maybe I should for this.

I just want to make sure she has been properly diagnosed...I don't have much confidence in the vet's office at this point. (I even emailed them for her labs two days ago and still haven't even gotten a reply.)

I'm adding a picture of her leaning that I am talking about. And this was over 9 hours after her insulin so she wasn't low or anything.

IMG_20180731_074035_678.jpg

ETA: going to go ahead and put this on the cushing's etc board

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    Reason for edit: cross-posting on the cushings board
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.