Feline Greenies for diabetic cats?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by colleenlindsay, Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colleenlindsay

colleenlindsay Member

Hi gang -

Colleen and Stinkyboy here again. First I wanted to say thank you to all of the kind folks who wrote and talked me off the ledge when Stinky was first diagnosed. It helps a lot to know that the regulation can take a very long time, so I've stopped panicking for now. :D

Stinkyboy and I have settled into a sort of routine for his shots and we've almost gotten the blood testing incorporated into the routine. Having trouble getting blood, even when I warm up his ears and shine a flashlight against his ear. I honestly think my cat is made of clay. :shock:

My one problem has been finding a treat that Stinky likes. He's always been a ***** for Feline Greenies, but when he was diagnosed, I stopped feeding them to him. I haven't yet found anything that he will eat as a treat, so I've been using teaspoons of baby food. Problem is that he is starting to only want baby food and ignoring the rest of the wet food I put out. I really would like to be able to give him a real treat, but the only things I've ever found that he likes are Greenies. He hate bonita flakes and dried chicken. It's Greenies or nothing. So my question is this: how many carbs are in Greenies and do any of you use them as treats with your diabetic cats? confused_cat

Thank you!

Colleen

2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Any food or treat, read the ingredient and look for any sort of sweetener.
    Just like with pill pockets, the only ones with no sweetener is the allergy duck and pea flavor.
    If you see sugars or syrups, etc, it may affect yr cat's numbers, depending on carb sensitivity.

3. colleenlindsay

colleenlindsay Member

I've been reading the ingredient list online but don't see any sugars or syrups in there. I was more concerned about carbs.

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I don't ever give greenies, but rather go with freeze dried chicken or even pill pockets duck and pea.
    There are a couple moist treats at Petsmart in Canada... Mighty Lion and then some other moist one like pellets chicken flavor from the dog section.
    Maybe others can say on the carbs, but for treats, you are just giving the odd one so if you stay away from the dry and hard treats, you should be OK

5. colleenlindsay

colleenlindsay Member

Yeah, tried the dried chicken - he hates it. And the he won't eat the pill pockets. He really just likes the Chicken flavored Greenies dental treats. He is the fussiest cat ever.

Generally these days I need to open two or three different varieties of wet food to get him to eat, and he's getting way to comfortable with the baby food, which isn't an option long term nutrition-wise, so I'm hoping to not have to keep feeding him that as a treat.

6. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

what about real chicken?
    If I am out of the FD ones, I have fed little raw chunks to a couple of my cats and another prefers the chicken lightly steamed, no raw for the princess.

7. Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall

Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall Member

My diabetic cats also love their Greenies. I've read that some cats are sensitive to the carbs but haven't noticed that with mine and figure one or two pieces a day isn't going to hurt them. There's no added sucrose, corn syrup, glucose or fructose. The total carbohydrate content is predominately starch.

These are the as fed values:
    Calories per 6 pieces: 11
    Protein: 35%
    Fat: 14%
    Carbs: 30%
    Fiber: 5%

Pill Pockets contain dried corn syrup.
    As fed values (chicken flavor):
    Calories per piece: 4
    Protein: 13%
    Fat: 10%
    Carbs: 50%
    Fiber: 2%

KittyKatMama likes this.
  8. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

we give real chicken - the dried stuff is too hard for punkin to chew, but he loves real chicken. most cats can't resist rotisserie chicken. a key point though, is to remember this is just a treat. you can give a 1/2" cube and it will be enough. we usually simmer a couple of chicken breasts, dice them and freeze them. bring out 1/2 cup at a time to last for a couple of days.

i'm not certain the rotisserie chicken isn't doctored with stuff, so we don't use it most of the time. it's a winner though.

i'd stick with a low carb treat, personally. it's hard enough to manage them without giving them a tiny piece of candy (which is equivalent to high carbs) multiple times a day.

9. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Here's the list of low carb treats: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9172

How about a jerky-like treat such as Catswell or Wellness Pure Delights? Or a hard crunchy one like the Poultry Crispies?

A treat doesn't have to be food. It can be a toy or kitty grass or catnip or brushing :smile:

10. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Evo Cravings also have a similar consistency to greenies: http://www.evopet.com/products/1461. You can order them on Amazon if you don't have a pet store near you that sells them. They have them at PetCo, I think--not 100% sure though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.