? Feline Stomatitis and FD

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PPCW, Aug 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PPCW

PPCW Member

Hi Everyone,

Do you have any experience with feline stomatitis (oral inflammation including gum, tongue, and throat)? My Coby was diagnosed last year and standard treatments do not work. The last resort is to have a full-mouth teeth extraction but there is no guarantee that stomatitis will go away. I really hope that I don't have to do that.

His inflammation in the gum is not so bad right now (a red line not full redness) but it is starting to bother him as he just had 2 weeks of NS and now the BG is creeping backup. He is still eating OK and maintaining weight.

I did some research on the web and found L-Lysine and Plaque Off as holistic treatments for cats. Actually prednisone cream is also suggested but it is not going to be an option because of FD. They do not cure the disease but control the symptoms.

So I have two questions:

1. Have you used them? Do they work for your cats?

2. I plan to give two months to try these products but I know his BG will rise in the mean time. When should I give Coby insulin (ProZinc) again? When AM/PMPS is above 200?

As always, I appreciate your advise!

Patricia

2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I've used the plaque off. Can't say I really noticed a change. Smokey was dx with FORLs and FME was discussed. Because of his age, heart disease, fd, and pancreatitis his vet and the IM/ER vets wouldn't do it. I wouldn't go to just some other vet who was only doing it for the money. He ate fine and did not appear to be in any pain. He did allow me to wipe his teeth with gauze and I used the plaque off so we left it at that.

PPCW likes this.
  3. PPCW

PPCW Member

Thank you for the information.

Coby doesn't seem to be in pain but I am worried about his BG. I guess the honeymoon period is almost over.

You said you didn't see any noticeable changes when you used plaque off but do you think that it prevented the problem from getting worse?

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Someone who was here recommended it and said it doesn't effect glucose. Smokey had very yellow teeth. He had tarter, some the vet could just scrap off during a regular visit. As far as I know he never had a dental (I got him when he was 16). I always asked about getting it done but because of age and fd (didn't know about the heart then) the vet said no. The ER vet was the one who dx the forls and FME was willing to do it and then he was 18, but when we did the cardiology visit to clear him for anesthesia we found out about the heart so they wouldn't do it. I used it for all my cats and I can say they had better breath.

Two of my cats had dentals this past February. Vet said they could have waited as they had little tarter and plaque. I like my cats to have dentals minimum every five years unless needed. Tripper has had 3 now and this one will probably be her last as she is 15. Tux who is 5 just has his 1st. PJ will get her 1st in 5 yrs unless something is wrong.

Glad you asked. I still have the bottle (I bought the smallest size and it will last awhile) so maybe I will start it again on my 3 healthy cats who have clean teeth to prevent the plaque and tarter.

PPCW likes this.
  5. PPCW

PPCW Member

I just started lysine this evening and will give plaque off a bit later. Do your cats have any problem with the taste of plaque off? I got the regular one but I heard the cat one tastes better.

Some people believe stomatitis is contagious, so I am going to use both products for all three of my cats. Coby had his teeth cleaned last year. The two year old had a cleaning this year because I saw lots of buildup and some redness in the gum. I hope it is not contagious!

6. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

My old kitty had very bad feline stomatitis when she was very young. I think she was age 6 or 7 and many of her teeth had re-absorbed. We ended up having most extracted. I think she may have maybe 5 or 6 teeth left total, all back teeth are gone, and one canine is left and the tiny ones in front are OK. Since she had the worst offending rear teeth pulled, the remaining lesions on the gums healed up on there own, and there hasn't been a recurrence with the stomatitis. Her remaining teeth are fine and she's almost 19.

There is quite a bit of bone loss in her jaw as she ages, you can see it in her face. She can't manage to eat anything like large kibble that she has to chew, but smaller kibble and wet food is fine.

There are some theories about stomatitis -- ie. bacterial, viral, etc. There seems to be an auto-immune component to the plaque on the teeth and in my cat's case, once the worst teeth were out, the disease process stopped. If your kitty does have some teeth in good condition, it might be worth it to leave those and see if the stomatitis improves. Many cats do fine without any teeth, however, the teeth do support the bone, and bone loss in an old kitty isn't good.

PPCW likes this.
  7. PPCW

PPCW Member

Coby only lost 3 teeth so far and the bad inflammation is around the back molars. I found out he has stomatitis last year when he lost his voice and started gagging when eating. It turned out that his throat was very inflamed. Antibiotics took care of the throat issue but didn't help with the gum problem.

Bone loss is definitely a concern that's why I want to try plaque off and lysine for two months and, with all fingers and paws crossed, the symptoms can be controlled!!!!! If not, pulling the worst offending teeth is a good option!

Amina&M'row likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.