Feline with Diabetes AND Chronic Kidney Disease

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tennessee Tuxedo, Apr 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tennessee Tuxedo

Tennessee Tuxedo New Member

I am new here and hope I am in the right area for this posting....... My name is Paul, and my cat Tennessee, has had diabetes that I have been treating, advised to do so by my Vet, with 1 unit of glucose for about a year now. He has been pretty stable at this dose. He was pretty much a vagrant cat that had been living life without a human and savaging the neighborhood for quite some time. Therefore I don't know his complete health history, but have managed to pick up that he actually lived in one of the neighborhood homes with his owners, until they moved about 6 years ago! So, I have adopted him, and he me, and established care with a local vet. He is a "senior" cat. Obviously don't know his exact age. He is an awesome cat! I recently had him in for a teeth cleaning and due to the need to sedate him, his blood was checked and I had the sad news that he had Chronic Kidney Disease. I have been reading a lot of information in the past couple days and am confused as to the best diet for him. To my understanding, having diabetes, he needs a low carb/high protein diet, but with the kidney issue a lot of information says they need a LOW protein diet. Upon further reading, I discovered that low protein diets are somewhat controversial for chronic kidney disease.......the hyper carnivore that a feline is means they are designed to eat pretty much straight up protein. I am hoping for some advice here as to the best way to feed him to give him the healthiest, happiest, longest life I can help him achieve!

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! Share a photo of Tennessee when you can. :) I see that you already found your way to the health forum. That is the best place to get answers to your questions.

Tennessee Tuxedo likes this.
  3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome. Tennessee, you are a cool looking cat! Beautiful!!!!!

Tennessee Tuxedo likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.